It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-08-2008   #1 (permalink)
tpothen

Default Lost use of rear leg

Hello,

I’m looking for any advice or if anyone has heard of a problem like this. I have a 10 year old male barn cat, I have had him since he was 6 weeks old and he has been strictly a house cat. A week ago he got out and spent a night outside; he came home in good looking condition. The next day he started limping and developed a small lump on his upper right rear leg. I took him to the vet and they thought he may have been kicked by someone, and give it a few days.

Well the limp got worse and he seemed to have no use or feeling in the leg so I took him back to the vet. They took some x-ray’s and ran some tests confirming he has no feeling in the leg but nothing appeared out of normal in the x-ray’s so they sent them in to a radiologist and I’m waiting to hear back. They also mentioned cancer maybe causing nerve damage.

It has been 8 days since he had full use to no use of the leg, does this seem to fast for cancer, maybe a bug bite? He is acting and eating normal but has a hard time using the litter box as he cannot really squat like a cat should due to the leg.

Thanks for reading this.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-09-2008   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi!

It may be a bug bite & also an accident. Maybe hit by a car or also a dog's bite...
What's his condition now? is his wound getting better or worse?
I also don't think it is a cancer.

Take care, Maya
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-09-2008   #3 (permalink)
tpothen

Unfortunately the radiologist believes there is a tumor on his leg and would like another x-ray of that specific area. They also said that Sam will most likely never have use of his leg again due to the fact that he has zero feeling in it so the nerves are likely dead.

As for a bite there is no puncture wound that the vet's can find, 2 have looked him over (I was hoping). Getting hit by a car I had not thought of, there is no bruising or swelling and no internal bleeding so it does not sound likely.

Sam is not getting better or worse and he does not seem bothered by it, his spirits are high and he eats well.

Thanks for replying.

Unread 07-09-2008   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Angry

You welcome.
I hope U will keep me posted & I'm sorry for the bad news.
My love to Sam.

ATB, Maya
Unread 07-15-2008   #5 (permalink)
tpothen

I had to make the worst decision in my life. Sam was getting worse and loss most use of his tail and started losing weight like crazy. The tumor was compressing his colon between the spine and bladder and he could not use the litter box. They could not remove the tumor because of the location. He was in a lot of pain as he was backing up. Friday July 11 at 6:15pm he took his last breath, only 10 years old. It was the best 10 years of my life.

Rest in peace Sam. I miss you.

Unread 07-16-2008   #6 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

che is on a distinguished road

Hello,i'm Che,i'm so sorry about your beautiful Sam,my heart goes out to you,i'm in tears now.I lost my beautiful Floyd 3 weeks ago.They are at Rainbow Bridge waiting for us now.Take care,xxxxx
Unread 07-16-2008   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Unhappy

Poor Sam & poor you also! I'm very, very sorry for these sad news, but you made the right decision.

Rest in peace beautiful Sam!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)

Tags
advice , beautiful , bite , bladder , box , car , care , cat , crazy , dog , eating , fast , hey , home , house , litter , litter box , loss , lost , love , male , night , problem , sad , small , vet , weight

Sponsored Cat Links