It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-29-2008   #1 (permalink)
angel_eyes's Avatar
Posts: n/a
Default Exploratory Surgery ~Risks??

anyone know what im facing here, i was hoping to contemplate all aspects of the choice i made today and im hoping for the best.

my 6 yr old male cat has an obstruction in his small intestine. the jejunum region is what im told. Last week i though pancreatitus due to his obstipation and violent vomitting.

last week the vomit was yellow and clear, foamy......about 5 days after it started to smell SO strong like feces and turned a dark brownish/ dark green color recently..i am hoping his insides are not necrotic...praying real hard.

been about 12-14 days since acute symptoms first started...we waited too long and i must face the consequences in the morning. he might not make it im told..50/ couple questions i have and i thank you in advance for any time and effort helping me in this matter.

The ER did a ultra sound to confirm the foreighn matter....but my regular VET is doing the surgery....

Would getting a copy of the ultrasound help my vet figure out "exactly" or better find the obstruction?

How long is the jejunum part of the small intestine? what are the chances it cannot be repaired? how long would it take for that whole part to go bad? my cat is estimated 12-14 day obstruction and in pain.

What are the risks of Anesthesia? i heard ketamine they might not awake again and can be due to allergic reaction or simple there a safer surgery anesthesia out there?

is this type of surgery common and what are the chances they botch the job and my cat is dead because of their mess up. i said if things go bad to sow him up so i can see him again but i got kinda a so heart broken i dont know where to turn. i extend a warm genuine thank you for anyone with any ideas or thoughts i should think about...maybe i should suggest a smaller pain/anesthetic dose so he wakes up....he was so weak for not eating in 10 days..the VET had him fasting for a few days thinking it was pancreatitus. so im hoping this 1 nite of IV will give the strength to pull thru and wake up and recover.

also his intestines are dilated and fluid filled and gas filled. is surgery during this state risky? so worried and havent got much sleep in quite a while. this is a nightmare for me and feel like so much cause i know its all my fault and i waited too long for help...i will never forgive myself, these are such sweet creatures it hurts my heart with a pain i cannot explain.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Cat Content

allergic , cat , color , eating , hey , male , mat , mess , morning , not eating , obstruction , sleep , small , smell , surgery , thoughts , type , vet , vomit

Sponsored Cat Links

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Cat Forum Replies Last Post
My cat ate a baby bird that fell off a nest. Are there health risks? Tac_aipes Cat Health & Nutrition 1 05-17-2007 11:11 PM
Feline medicine & surgery admin Cat Book Reviews 0 09-29-2006 08:00 PM
Feline Medicine And Surgery. admin Cat Book Reviews 0 09-29-2006 08:00 PM
Canine and Feline Surgery admin Cat Book Reviews 0 09-29-2006 08:00 PM
Feline anesthesia and surgery admin Cat Book Reviews 0 09-29-2006 08:00 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Sitemap: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28