It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-02-2008   #1 (permalink)
iweitzen

Default inbreeding cats - questions re: ethics and health issues

I had a 10-month old Siberian kitten that just got very sick and died. FIP was suspected but autopsy was inconclusive. I was looking at his pedigree certificate yesterday out of curiosity and I noticed that not one but *both* of his parents were the direct products of incestuous pairings (their fathers were bred with their daughters).

I know that breeders often make inbred pairings, but pairing together *two* cats who were the result of inbred pairings!!!???

How much of a problem is this, from an ethical perspective and also the possibility that serious health problems could be caused in such inbred kittens? Am I over-reacting, or is this a really big deal?

Thanks for any help!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-02-2008   #2 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Hi,I'm Cheryl,I'm so sorry for your loss,there is a website called Messybeast.com,it may have useful information in "Inbreeding and genetics"I hope it will help.take care,bye,Che.xxxxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-04-2008   #3 (permalink)
calicokatie89

Hi, I don't mean to offend anyone, but you may have gotten your cat from a 'backyard breeder.' Did you take a look at the facilities before buying your kitten? Backyard breeders don't really care to improve a specific breed, they're just looking to make a quick dollar. If you got your kitten from a pet shop, it most likely came from a BYB. Reputable breeders do not sell to pet shops; they sell directly to whoever wants the animal. Pedigrees and papers do not always equal a quality pet. You can get AKC papers on any dog; they don't prove the quality of the animal or any claims to lineage. In addition, irresponsible breeding can result in hereditary diseases, congenital defects, and behavioral problems. Do not trust a breeder who won't let you see their facilities or your kitten's parents. Ask for proof that the kitten has been dewormed and vaccinated. If the breeder can't give you any information about the breed you're buying, do not trust him. If the breeder cannot tell you about his kittens' personalities, he has not been properly socializing his animals. Do not trust him. If the breeder makes an aggressive 'sales pitch,' DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, TRUST HIM. This kind of thing shows that the breeder is interested only in cold currency, and not in finding a good, loving, caring home for his animals.

Sorry about the rant. Puppy and kitten mills just really get under my skin, to say the least. Those places are despicable. I'm really sorry if I came off sounding a bit rude. It's just that so many babies start out so sick and result in so much heartbreak. Shop around before you make a decision to purchase a companion. Find the breeder who makes you feel most confident in his or her abilities, and who keeps the cleanest breeding facilities. If you're not looking for a purebred, however, please, PLEASE go to a shelter and adopt someone who would otherwise be euthanized. It really breaks my heart how many homeless animals are killed every day because they have no one to care for them.

Just realized my post is focused completely on the rant and none on answering your question. (Sorry! XD) Yes, inbreeding two inbred cats can be very dangerous and may have been the reason for your kitten's death. Sometimes inbreeding (the breeding of two closely related animals within one generation, i.e. father-to-daughter or sister-to-brother pairings) can be used by a good breeder to concentrate good qualities in a litter, but it is a double-edged sword. For every good quality magnified, you run the risk of magnifying a bad quality in the offspring.

I am so, so sorry about your baby.

Tags
addition , aggressive , animal , art , babies , baby , breeder , breeders , breeding , care , cat , cats , cold , dog , fip , health , hey , home , homeless , kitten , kittens , litter , loss , loving , pet , problem , problems , puppy , question , shelter , siberian kitten , sick

Sponsored Cat Links