It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-15-2008   #1 (permalink)
poohbear717

Default Upper Respiratory infections

Hi everyone I'm new here, so be kind if I make a mistake. I have a situation I could use your advise on. I adopted my cat Oliver in May from the shelter and took him to get his shots the next day. While at the vet she asked if he had been sneezing or had runny eyes. He didn't at that time but about a week later he started sneezing, so I called the vet and was prescribed Lysine and chlorphenrinine twice daily. I followed the vets advice and gave his meds for 10 days and a few days later he started having one eye that had clear discharge. I took him back to the vet and was given terramycin ointment and was told by the vet to continue the Lysine and chlorphenrimine until he no longer needed it. A few weeks later she prescribed him doxycyline because she thought he might have something similiar to what dogs typically get called kennel cough.

Here is my question after giving you a brief history of Oliver the cat. Has anyone out there had a similiar experience with URI? If so, how long did your cat have systems of the URI, and what meds where you given to treat it? Any other way you might know of to treat this infection, such as vitamins to help his immune system? Please give me some name of meds or vitamins you might have tried and had success. I'm still treating him with Lysine and chlorphenrimine and that has been since May, just seems like a really long time. Any help or advise is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-18-2008   #2 (permalink)
second_chance

I've being fostering kittens from the shelter for quite a while, and all of them ended up with URI at one point or another.

Depending on the severity of the case sympthoms and outcoms are different.
URI is a virus, so the best therapy is supportive care, but antibiotics like Clavamox helps for the secondary effects.

All my sick cats took Clavamox for 10 days, and you can see the results just after 2 days of treatment.

URI shows up with stuffy nose, sneezing, difficult breathing. If the cat can't smell also loss of appetite. Painful mouth ulcers, can occurs if the Calici virus is present.

All the kittens I had were little, (4 weeks or younger) and URI can be dangerous for the little ones.

Here is what I did to help them get through:

-Clavamox
-Lots of time!!!!!!!
-Decongestant drops for stuffy noses (Little Drops for children at Walgreens)
-Steam therapy twice/day (leave the cat in the bathroom with the hot water running for 15-20 minutes....HOT water)
-A few drops of corn syrup are good boosters. Most kittens gets very weak.
-Hand feeding if kittens stop eating. I use a syringe and wet food mixed with warm water.
-L-Lysine
- Goat milk can do miracles for weak kittens

URI can last for weeks depending on the severity of the case...

Personally, I have 2 of the kittens that are still getting over. And it was almost 2 months ago!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-19-2008   #3 (permalink)
poohbear717

Default Upper Respiratory Infections

Second_chance,

Thanks for your helpful information on how you treat your kittens for URI. I would like to ask you a little more about some of the things you mentioned. You said you give your kittens Little drops for children from Walgreens, how much would you give an adult cat? The corn syrup I have never heard of, what does it do for the kittens and do you give it orally or in their food? Also, is it the white or dark corn syrup? I have also never heard of goats milk in treating URI either. How does it help?

I just ordered more Lysine today and some natural meds especially for the respiratory system. The natural stuff is only a supplement and can build up his immunity even more. I'm surprised that my vet didn't give me Clavamox, I have done some research on this and it sounds like what he will eventually need. I'm somewhat irritated that wasn't one of the first thing she gave me for Oliver.

Anyway, thanks for all your very helpful information and I will try some of it soon, after I hear back from you most likely.

Thanks!

Unread 08-19-2008   #4 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

To be honest I think you should get a second opinion,take Oliver to another vet,or tell your vet you are not happy.It seems a bit long to have had this problem,as second chance says you can see results after 2 days treatment with Clavamox.Good luck.xxxxx
Unread 08-19-2008   #5 (permalink)
second_chance

Hi!

Regarding the "Little Noses" for babies. Buy the one that is not medicated. They sell one kind that is only a saline solution, and you can use it more often through the day. I said 4-5 times a day. It helps a lot with the stuffy nose.

Usually cats with URI get a little debilitated, kittens mostly. Corn syrup is a sugar booster, and goat milk has lots of protein, and doesn't not upset their tummy. They're both good for extra supportive care. You can give him corn syrup with a syringe ( 1ml, with no needle of course I never had an adult cat with URI, but I went thorugh some very nasty URI with little kittens, and so far I never lost one.

Clavamox is what the shelter has been giving me for URI, and it works wonderful. If the URI is pretty bad you may need a second cicle of antibiotics.

Always make sure your cat is drinking and eating ok...remember if they can't smell, they won't eat, and assisted feeding may be needed....

Last edited by second_chance; 08-19-2008 at 05:53 PM.

Tags
adopted , adult , advice , antibiotics , babies , breathing , care , cat , cats , children , dogs , eating , eyes , food , fostering , happy , hey , infection , kennel , kittens , loss , lost , mistake , natural , nose , opinion , present , problem , question , shelter , sick , smell , stop , upper respiratory , upset , vet , water , wet food , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links