It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-22-2008   #1 (permalink)
NolaBird

Unhappy Sneezing

My cat is probably about a month and a half old (I don't know for sure since she was adopted). She is so sweet and I love her so much! Last Friday I took her for her yearly vet visit. She got the FVRCP, Rabbies and FeLUV shots (her second set since she was a kitten). She had a reaction to something and had a fever and was lethargic all day. Anyway she started sneezing, not a lot, maybe 3 to 5 times a day at first (Monday or Tuesday). Tonight she is sneezing more but still not a ton. How much sneezing is too much? Is it possible that she could have reacted to the FVR viruses in the vaccine and developed an infection from it? The incubation time is about right. I am sooo very worried about her. Her appitite is fine and there is no discharge from her eyes or nose and I don't think she has a fever. In fact I seem to be much more worried about her sneezing than she is. I have read all of these terrible things about FVR and I feel like I might have ruined my cats life. We also recently got a kitten. He is not sneezing and I am wondering if I need to separate them (he has been vaccinated but its not very effective for FVR). It may already be too late though since I wasn't really worried until tonight and they have had contact all day. I am full of questions about FVR. Like do cats who are vaccinated still become carriers? Can FVR still get bad in vaccinated cats? How long does it take to pass and could it just be as bad as sneezing and that is it? Does this mean she will get sick again whenever she is stressed like when I travel for work or vacations? If the kitten doesn't have FVR and my older cat does is it responsible to still have two cats esp. if she can become a carrier? Also how common are bacteria infections and what are the chances she got one of those? Every thing I see on the internet is about FVR.

I will try to take her to the vet tomorrow but for now I am worried sick and don't expect to sleep much.

Thanks for helping this paranoid cat mom!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-22-2008   #2 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Is it possible for you to ring your vet to ask for advice,and tell him your worries?Good luck.xxxxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-22-2008   #3 (permalink)
NolaBird

I called my vet this morning when they opened. They thought her symptoms sounded weird too and they will be squeezing her in tomorrow. So far she is still doing well aside from the sneezing. She has a healthy apatite and is playful and purring. She has started washing her nose more frequently so I can tell it is annoying her. Anyway I should have more answers tomorrow. I will be sure to update.

Unread 08-22-2008   #4 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

I hope she'll be ok.xxxxx
Unread 08-23-2008   #5 (permalink)
Petal1

I hope that she is okay...Sometimes they can get a cold. We have one who gets the sneezes from time to time. Whenever mine go for shots, there is always a day where they are sleepy and lethargic, but this sounds like more than that.

Hope your kitty is fine!!!

Petal1

Unread 08-25-2008   #6 (permalink)
NolaBird

Smile Update

My cat is fine. She has some sort of cold the vet wasn't sure what caused it. It could be a very very mild case of FVR or some other mysterious bug. Either way the vet wasn't horribly concerned since the symptoms were so mild. She gave me an antihistamine that I can give her as needed but we haven't gotten a full pill down yet. I think she can smell it in the food and just eats around most of it or refuses it altogether. She is just too smart for me!! The vet also wasn't concerned about her being contagious so I could let her out of the basement, which was a big relief for me. So that was Saturday and now it is Monday and she is barely sneezing and my other kitten is just fine. So it all worked out well in the end.

In retrospect I might have over reacted just a little but I am a first time cat Mom and I just want to do my best to give them good lives. I would go hungry so my cats could eat if it came down to that. I still think it was the right thing to go to the vet.

Thank you for all of your support.

Unread 08-25-2008   #7 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thats good news,its better to be safe than sorry.xxxxx
Unread 08-25-2008   #8 (permalink)
Petal1

That's great about your kitty...I always err on the side of caution. My vet's office is soooooooooo helpful and I check anytime that I am concerned about their health. You're a good kitty mom and they are lucky they found you!!

Unread 08-27-2008   #9 (permalink)
Top Cat

catlover83 is on a distinguished road

That's good to hear. Antihistamine is such an effective drug for cat cold.

Glad your cat is doing OK now.
The night runs over him
like dark water

- Pablo Neruda

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

|
Unread 08-28-2008   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

I'm glad to hear these good news!

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)

Tags
adopted , advice , cat , cats , cold , eyes , fever , food , found , great , health , healthy , hey , infection , internet , kitten , kitty , love , lucky , morning , nose , pill , sick , sleep , smart , smell , travel , vaccine , vet , weird

Sponsored Cat Links