It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-19-2008   #1 (permalink)
Frankie

Default TPN for sick/non-eating cats

Has anyone ever had the experience of a sick cat that won't eat(she will drink some water) being placed on total parenteral nutrition via IV to get her back on her feet ? My cat was exposed to a toxin (carpet flea spray) that caused severe anemia(red blood cells were actually destroyed) causing her to need a synthetic blood transfusion, IV fluids, B12, antibiotic, and steroids. I brought her home from the vet for the night to see if I can get her to eat as vet feels that maybe she is not eating due to surroundings at clinic. If she does not eat for me I am thinking of asking the vet to try the TPN. So.....has anyone had one of their babies needing this and having this done ?

Frankie

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-20-2008   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Yes, when my first cat, Pochee was very sick from cancer. I prefer not to remember this, it was very painful for me.
I hope your kit will recover soon.

Take care,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-20-2008   #3 (permalink)
pattyp

Ok, I don't know what I'm doing wrong but this is my 3rd attempt at replying. Hope this goes through.

You must get your cat to eat SOMETHING. If there is a food she likes, maybe a stinky fishy type, try to see if she will eat on her own. If she likes people food, give her that or you can try an all meat (no onion or garlic) baby food.
Cats can develop a potentially fatal illness called Hepatic Lipidosis, sometimes called fatty liver disease, if they go too long without eating. So your mission right now is to get food into her.

If you can't get her to eat on her own we can discuss the other options available.

This is an urgent situation so don't delay.

Patty P

Unread 10-20-2008   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Yes, Patty is right.
I remember my Pochee eating only treats when he was so sick, only that he could eat, my poor angel; he had a huge liver cancer.

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 10-20-2008   #5 (permalink)
Frankie

Default TPn

I was able to get some baby food down her this am with a syringe but not much. She is drinking water and she loves the water from canned tuna and drank some of that but would not eat the tuna. I am almost to point to take her back to vet this afternoon and see what he thinks about other options. I know too well about the liver failure. My MaineCoon got really upset when my son and his new wife came home on leave a few years ago and would not come into kitchen to eat...so we put food and water in the bedroom assuming he was eating enough. NOT ! He went into total liver failure, vet said he had never seen liver enzymes that high. After a weekk at vets he came home with interferon and Denosyl and a low fat diet. This was a last ditch effort to save him and well if I had a pic of him I would post it. Big fat healthy boy he is now.

Back to my Garfield, who is girl by the way.....Does the TPN work or can they just bolus food via a feeding tube till the cortisone and antibiotics have time to do the work they are supposed to do.

Thanks for your replys and good wishes. By the way she is 11 years old and has been very healthy till now.

Unread 10-21-2008   #6 (permalink)
Frankie

Default Its Over

Well my baby Garfield died in my arms this morning at 1am. She just couldnt go on I guess. She would not swallow any water or liquifide food yesterday afternoon, her breathing became very fast and shallow and as it progressed slowed to barely there. She fought the good fight but just couldnt reproduce the red blood cells fast enough to recover. Vet says he thinks it definately was due to the flea carpet spray...says it kills more animals than any other poison including anti-freeze. He gave me the names of the 2 brands that they have had the most trouble with. Needless to say dont use the carpet spray if you have a very sensitive animal in the house or any of the stuff you can buy at walmart, any of the OTC flea products. Go with Frontline as it is only absorbed into the skin and hair, not systemically, which is what I put on the animals, but used the other stuff to kill any fleas that might have been hanging out on the floor.

Thanks again for the replies.

Unread 10-21-2008   #7 (permalink)
pattyp

I haven't worked as a vet tech since 2005 but I have never heard of TPN. A naso-gastric tube can be put down her nose into her esophagus then tacked to the top of her head which is a lot less invasive than a stomach tube which is surgically inserted through the skin either on her neck or through the side of her stomach.

For your flea problem try vacuum,vacuum,vacuum. If your vacuum has a bag, remove it after you finish and either throw out or put into the freezer to kill the adults. Vacuum as often as you can because vibration can stimulate the eggs to hatch.

Lastly, make sure the baby food does not contain onion or garlic as these can cause anemia. I believe Beechnut is free of these.

Patty P

Unread 12-06-2008   #8 (permalink)
kara_leigh

I know this is an old thread, but TPN is mainly used for humans/animals that don't have enough intestines needed to break down and digest their food. TPNs are broken down so that your body doesn't have to do it for you. Every person I have ever seen be put on TPNs takes FOREVER to get off of them. I would only use TPN as a VERY last resort. If anything, try a NG tube and tube feed.

Tags
antibiotic , antibiotics , babies , baby , boy , breathing , care , carpet , cat , cats , color , diet , eating , fast , fight , fleas , food , frontline , girl , healthy , hey , home , house , mainecoon , morning , night , nose , not eating , nutrition , person , poison , problem , save , sick , steroids , type , upset , urgent , vet , water , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links