It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-03-2008   #1 (permalink)
CrestieRsq

Default Question re rescued kitty & poops

We have had Frankie for a week now. He has been to the vet for a thorough exam, he's been dewormed, on antibiotics for a severe ear infection (gentamicin drops), given a cortisone shot for his ear, and other than being extremely thin is in good shape. I began by feeding him Wellness Core dry kibble, which he gobbled up the first two days. He had a solid poo on Monday (a week ago), got softer on Tuesday and by Wednesday was seriously runny. I was thinking the Core may have just been way too rich for him as I doubt he was eating such a good quality food in his previous life, or could be a result of the abx he's on. On Wednesday he barely ate anything
at all and Thursday he ate even less - mind you he's far too skinny to be missing meals. Friday I went out and bought him some canned food (Natural Balance) and he's been eating like a little piggy since then. After doing some research I've determined I will be cutting out dry kibble all together. While his poo is not watery diarrhea, it is very very soft. Oh, he has been on Flagyl since Thursday in the event he has a touch of coccidia.

Is there anything I can do to firm up his poo or is it something his body will/should adjust to over time? How much food should I be giving him daily? Saturday he ate about 9oz of wet food throughout the day, and the same yesterday (not in one sitting, I've been feeding him a small bit every 2 hrs or so). This morning at 6:00 a.m. he was quite insistent on being fed so I gave him about 3oz, then 45 min later as we were making the dogs' breakfast, Frankie was in the middle of them voicing his displeasure with his empty bowl so he got the last 3oz of the can. I did leave him a bit more to eat through the work day, but not much (maybe an oz). While he desperately needs to gain weight, I don't want to be over feeding him and possibly adding to the soft poo issue.

Also, do you feed the same canned food day after day, or is it okay to mix it up with different flavors? We bought the duck/pea, chicken & liver pate, and venison/pea (he loves them all). Would this add to his poop issues by changing the main protein in the food every other day or so? Sorry for all the questions, Frankie is my first kitty and I'm trying to absorb all the info I can....dogs I know, cats are new!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-03-2008   #2 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Hi,I gave the pate type to my cats before and they had terrible runs.xxxxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 11-03-2008   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Hello!

Stop the canned food & try with dry food only for a couple of weeks. If it doesn't work, go to the vet's ASAP, he can dehydrate as a result of the runs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 11-04-2008   #4 (permalink)
CrestieRsq

It's not actually the runs, it's just VERY soft and not formed. I did buy him some Natural Balance Duck/green pea dry kibble last nite, he at it very well and this a.m. I have a semi-formed poo.

Unread 11-05-2008   #5 (permalink)
buttercup

I am not a fan of canned food because years ago our vet told us it was mostly water and not too much in the way of nutrients. I also am very concerned with the fact that if you have a male cat you need to watch the amount of ash in the food due to crystals building up in the kidneys. My daughter bought a boxer pup in July and the breeder gives her pups plain yogurt with the food to stop diareha. I thought due to the fact that its dairy and would increase the problem it made no sense. But its putting good flora back into the intestinal tract and if Frankie has had antibiotics then that would help as well. Just a thought.

Unread 11-10-2008   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

missprettyeyes is on a distinguished road

My current fosters had horrible smelling and very soft poo, and the vet detemined they had cocidia(sp?) and gave them meds for it....maybe ask your vet about it?Good luck!

Tags
antibiotics , breeder , canned food , cat , cats , cut , diarrhea , dogs , dry , dry food , ear infection , eating , food , hey , infection , kitty , male , missing , morning , natural , poo , poop , problem , question , small , stop , type , vet , water , watery , weight , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links