It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-03-2008   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

KittyHearts is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Should I Euthanize my cat tomorrow?

Found out today that I more than likely will have to Euthanize my Mandy. Mandy is 15 years old and up till now has been pretty good. On 10/24/08 she had 3 tumors removed. All was pretty good and normal with recovery from surgery in mind. But then last Sat. I could tell something wasn't quite right so I took her back in. The vet gave her a shot of cortisone, antibiotics, and was given some fluid under the skin. Yesterday, Sunday, she was perfectly fine. She was walking around, purring, eating. But then today, on my lunch break, I found her laying in the same spot on my bed where she was this morning. I picked her up to bring her closer. She had bad labored breathing, tongue stuck out, wouldn't/couldn't get up, and was excessively drooling. I immediatly rushed her back to the vet.

First thing the vet said as he walked in, "Oh goodness, that doesn't look good at all." I had dropped her off at the vets around 11:40am then arrived back at 5:10pm. When I dropped her off she was in bad condition (the way I found her on my lunch break) but when I went back she was quietly laying in the corner of the kennel. I carried her back to the exam room and sat her up. She remained sitting up and after hugging and petting her she began purring, still with labored breathing. But we think that she was in the better condition only because the vet gave her some more cortasone, antibiotics, and more fluid under the skin.

The vet took an x-ray and told me her lungs are a complete mess. There's fuzzy white stuff all over the place. For me it was hard to see the heart through the white mess. He said there is fluid in her lungs and he's pretty sure there is cancer all in her lungs. So euthanization became an option. As I cried my eyes out, I think I asked him the same set of questions probably like 50 times over and over.

Again we both think she is only appearing to be doing so well due to the shots and antibiotics. The vet said I could always wait and see how things are going. I'm afraid if I wait she'll just be suffering again once the meds ware off. Yet I don't want to kill her if there's a chance. He said he's 90% sure there is cancer in her lungs. He also said the cortisone shots may clear up the fluids ... but the cancer is still there and he said it will (or is) spread(ing). He said he wouldn't be able to remove the cancer. ...Maybe a surgen could but it would more than likely come back.

So.....

....What should I do? What would you do?

I have to make up my mind before 4pm tomorrow, 11/04/08.

I can't stop crying. I know she's 15 years old but that's not making it any easier.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-04-2008   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Hi,

I know is very painful but the answer is yes. Don't let poor Mandy to suffer. I believe that she is your everything, but the better is to euthanize her ASAP.
It happened to me twice: my two older angels died from this terrible disease in 2003 & 2005. I have an album in my gallery with their pics.
Booba was operated twice but the cancer returned back again & at the end all her body was a mess, couldn't do anything, all our efforts were in vain...
Please keep us posted.

I'm sorry for this & we all are with you,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 11-04-2008   #3 (permalink)
buttercup

Kittyheart....... I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes. I know that this decision is one that is EXTREMELY hard to make and I've been there twice as well. Like Maya said you don't want your baby to suffer and we have the means to end that suffering. Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Unread 11-04-2008   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

Mandy is in a better place now.

This morning my brother had visited Mandy at the vet's. He called me to tell me she looked like she was doing better. He said she was up and walking around and kept eye balling the chair wanting to jump to it. On my lunch break I went to the vet's to visit her myself. However, when I was there, they brought her to me and she was breathing heavily, having a hard time. The vet walked in and asked what I thought. I said, "I think she's suffering.", as tears filled my eyes. He looked down and told me she wasn't breathing like that just a moment ago before they brought her out. He said it was probably the exertion from being moved. So I knew if that little bit of movement caused that .... yeah, I knew what I was going to have to do.

My two brothers and I all met up at the vet's at 5pm. We all filed into the exam room to love on Mandy and say good bye. One of my brothers stayed with me to comfort Mandy during the "procedure" as my other brother left to wait in the sitting room. The vet sedated her first and then after she was well out from being sedated he gave her the shot to euthanize her as I cried out a steady stream of tears.

After he had sedated her, I was continuously watching her chest as she was breathing. For some reason, I don't know why, I guess I thought that after she was sedated her breathing would be at a normal rate and rhythm. I don't know, sounds pretty stupid now. *shakes head at myself* Through my tears I still had questions I asked about what he was doing, how fast to expect what, and so on. As we were preparing her for me to take home I looked over at the vet's tissue box and said with a crooked smile, "I uh, used up a lot of your tissues." He just said, "Oh, that's what they're there for.", as he looked up with compassionate eyes.

Ya know, there's a favorite thing Mandy used to always do. Every morning she would run to the bathroom sink and sit there patiently waiting to be brushed. She LOVED being brushed. The cool thing is, she would brush her own head (with little assistance from me). I would hold the brush above her and she would reach up with both paws, grab the brush and pull the brush down against her face. She would do this repeatedly. Then she would remain in a sitting up position while with one paw holding onto my ~finger~, not my hand but my index finger, and her other paw would be dangling in the air as she needed away at the air while I brushed down her back. Mind you now, she didn't like any normal cat brush, she liked only human brushes.

Unfortunately, I never got a picture or video clip of any of that. I used to be able to draw way back when so I'm going to attempt to draw her brushing herself. It's going to take forever but I hope I'm able to.

Thank you guys for replying, you helped a lot.
Unread 11-05-2008   #5 (permalink)
buttercup

I am so sorry that this has happened Kittyhearts. Mandy is now free from any pain and suffering and you will meet again one day. You have some fond memories which you can draw on as well. Again my condolences go out to you and your family.

Unread 11-05-2008   #6 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

che is on a distinguished road

I am so sorry for your loss of Mandy,my heart goes out to you and your family,I know what you're going through.Just remember she had a wonderful life with you,and has left massive paw prints on your heart.She is now at Rainbow Bridge waiting for you.Take care,bye,Che.xxxxx
Unread 11-05-2008   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

I'm really sorry for Mandy's loss! When I read all the thread you wrote I imm. knew what is going to happen & tried to explain to you clearly. I hope it was "a little help".
Now, I'm in tears again as I remember past days that unfortunately will return again, when? I don't know & don't want to know.

There is something below full of hope I want to share with you:

Just this side of heaven is a place called RainbowBridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to RainbowBridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross RainbowBridge together...

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 11-05-2008   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

Red face

Thank you everyone for your warmth and wishes, you have all helped.

Tags
animal , antibiotics , assistance , baby , box , breathing , care , cat , clip , color , cool , crying , eating , eye , eyes , family , fast , food , found , free , friends , happy , health , hey , home , hurt , kennel , loss , love , mess , morning , paw , pet , picture , play , prayers , small , spotted , stop , surgery , thoughts , vet , video , water

Sponsored Cat Links