It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-09-2008   #1 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cheeky
Max24 is on a distinguished road
Default Hi Everyone - New Here

I have been totally distraught for the last two weeks, and fortunately today I found your forum.

I apologize for the length of this post in advance, but I wanted to tell the whole story.

My 11 yr old cat, Hannah, was having trouble chewing and eating. I took her to the Vet. They checked her out, ran blood tests and concluded I had a healthy cat. I watched her for a few more days and then returned to the Vet insisting there was a problem. I saw a different Vet in the practice and it took him 30 seconds to find a FORL (lesion on a tooth). Course of action, remove the tooth and all will be well.

I picked her up the day after surgery and she seemed fine--heading straight for the food bowl. The next day was another story. She was still not eating. I waited one more day and took her back. She was losing weight, becoming dehydrated etc. Course of action, antibiotics, force feeding and fluids.

Well, the antibiotics would not stay down. We tried pain meds, they also came right back up.

She is now hospitalized. They ran a scan on her and found a 'shadow' in her belly. They are treating her with antibiotics, fluids, force feeding and steroids.

And here I sit. It's Sunday, so I cannot visit her. I am beside myself with fear of the unknown. I miss her dreadfully, as do her 5 sister cats. I can't stop crying. When I found your forum, I felt relieved, feeling I had found a place to "belong". I have always been owned by cats, they are my children.

Thanks to anyone reading this. ♥

Max
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-09-2008   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Hi Max & welcome,

I'm Maya, owned by 6 spoiled & sweet furkids you can see in my gallery.

I don't like what you told us about the shadow in Hanna's belly, it remembers me past days I prefer to forget.

I hope your baby will get well soon!
Pls keep us posted.
ATB,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 11-09-2008   #3 (permalink)
Top Cat

Thanks Maya. I don't like what they told me either. Six of my fur babies are at the Rainbow Bridge. I've been through this many times before in the 40+ years I have been owned by cats. Somehow, it never gets easier. I'll be sure to keep you posted.
Unread 11-09-2008   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Exclamation

Okay. Good luck Max

Unread 11-10-2008   #5 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

che is on a distinguished road

Hi Max,sorry to hear about your lovely Hannah,how is she doing?I'm Cheryl by the way,owned by 7 at the moment,but like you,been owned by a cat since the day I was born.xxxxx
Unread 11-10-2008   #6 (permalink)
pv_boi

don't worry everything's gonna be alright..had the same experience

Unread 11-10-2008   #7 (permalink)
Top Cat

Update on Hannah:
I spoke with the Vet this morning. Hannah is still not showing a desire to eat, but what they are force feeding her has stayed down since yesterday. She is using the litter box (she was just using towels before). She is enjoying being petted. She seems to get 'anxious' when anticipating a procedure and begins to drool and then she gets sick. They have decided to only feed her, and keep her calm as possible. The exact word was to 'shepherd' her. Also in their words, "she's a mystery". I will go visit her tonight and see for myself how she is doing.

PV BOI, tell me about your experience. I'd really like to hear about it.

Thanks to all of you for being there for me. Huge hugs to you all.

Max
Unread 11-10-2008   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Talking

You welcome. Hope Hannah will get well soon

Unread 11-15-2008   #9 (permalink)
Top Cat

Default News on Hannah

Hi everyone,

Well, another week has passed. Hannah is still being "force fed" and fluid injections. The good news is that she is keeping all her food down and maintaining her weight at 8 lbs.

After much soul searching and discussions with the Vet, we have decided on a feeding tube. It will be inserted on Monday. I have read everything I can. I have talked to the doctor. I know this will give my girl a fighting chance. Somehow, I feel extremely guilty putting her through this. I have learned that cats can rebound from liver disease, and that all that is needed is good nutrition. Since she has no appetite, we need to help her along. One good thing is that I can bring her home and administer the feedings myself.

My depression is getting deeper as I feel selfish. Then I think that maybe this just might work and I will have my baby girl back. I'm just so confused and heartsick, but I refuse to lose hope.

Thanks for being there for me, and listening.

Hugs,
Max
Unread 11-16-2008   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Poor thing! but we always try to do the best for them. Sometimes we're lucky, sometimes not...
Pls keep us updated Hope she will come back to you soon!

Tags
animal , antibiotics , baby , belly , box , care , cat , cat food , cats , chewing , children , color , crying , dry , eating , food , found , friends , fur , girl , great , happy , healthy , hey , home , interesting , kitty , lucky , morning , nervous , night , not eating , nutrition , prayers , problem , puppy , sad , sick , sleeping , steroids , stop , story , surgery , thoughts , uncomfortable , vet , weight , worry

Sponsored Cat Links