It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-13-2008   #1 (permalink)
tomnjerry

Default Food recommendations???

I have 2 kittens maybe 8-10 weeks old rough guess I really have no idea. At Animal Control I think it was Meow Mix they were eating so I have bought them some of that but would like to change them to a better diet. If cat foods are anything like dog foods the grocery store brands are junk so I am assuming this food is probably garbage.

My questions:
Do I need to transition them slowly mixing the old food with the new food to prevent upset bellys and diarhea?

What should I look for in a food ingredient wise?

What foods does everone recommend?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-13-2008   #2 (permalink)
jazzylane

You should mix the old with the new to get them started. I know that my little man got alittle sick when I changed foods. I use Iams kitten food for him. Its a good food for us.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 11-13-2008   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

I recommend Royal Canin Babycat, it is more expensive but its quality is superior.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 11-13-2008   #4 (permalink)
A-Rod's Mama

Meow Mix and store brands are both def. crap. I recommend Iams as well. For ingredienst you don't want fillers in the first few ingredients. You want like chicken, wheat, flour-for the first few ingredients. I hope this helps.

Unread 11-14-2008   #5 (permalink)
Top Cat

Lyka_01 is on a distinguished road

I like that idea jazzy, mixing the old with the new food...because that way the cat will not be force to eat the new food...The can slowly adapt to the new food...

||

"If animals could speak the dog would be a a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
Unread 11-14-2008   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

missprettyeyes is on a distinguished road

I would reccomend you start off by researching whether or not you want to feed a grain free diet or not ( it is said grain free is better) and stay away from foods without meat as the first ingredient,also avoid food with lots of grains!( try to avoid corn and corn products completly).Also avoid biproducts,digests,artificial colorings and flavorings and foods that are not naturally preserved!I would reccomend you type in your browser high quality premium cat food and then go from there! a few I would suggest checking out ( not sure of your budget) are wellness core and Evo (both grain free) taste of the wild ( also a grain free much less costly) or wellness, california natural,Blue Buffalo or natural Balance.check these out and see what you think!if you need more ideas just let me know!Also the more wet food you feed the better it is for thier kidneys!and with the wet also avois wheat,soy,corn as well as heavy gravies (full of empty calories) and artificial colorings and preservatives!Good luck!!Also as far as introducing the new food go very slowly!!mix it in in 1/4 then 1/2 then 3/4 then the whole change.

Last edited by missprettyeyes; 11-14-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Unread 11-18-2008   #7 (permalink)
afdani1984

I switched Oreo from Friskees to Felidae when my roommate moved out. It took some coaxing and he looked at me like I was nuts, but once he was hungry enough he stopped picking the crap food out from around the good food. I feed my dog the dog equivalent, Canidae, and liked the results so I switched him too. I am however unhappy with the new formulas the company introduced and am looking into alternatives. We're thinking of trying Halo..but it's still not very well known and rather expensive.

Unread 11-18-2008   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Halo? I don't know it...

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 11-18-2008   #9 (permalink)
afdani1984

It's more of a holistic food. The founder has written a book..which I have somewhere but the name escapes me. They also have alot of all natural grooming and health products, supplements and such. I bought one of the sample packs that came with a small bag of dry dog food, a can of each flavor wet dog food, a canister of the all natural freeze dried treats (which are formulated for both cats and dogs..since i have one of each), and a bottle of their Dreamcoat Omega 3/6 formulated supplement. Then I ordered a 1 lb bag of dry cat food to go with it. I am holding off on doing anything with the food or supplements until I get home, but told my DB he could chop the treats in half and give each of them a piece. Love him to death, but not sure I trust him to attempt a food switch on his own. A friend from my pug forum had nothing but raves for their medicinal products.

Here is the link to their website.
Natural Pet Care Products from Halo

Unread 11-19-2008   #10 (permalink)
tomnjerry

Thanks for the food tips. I am definatley going to transition them slowly. I am thinking Wellness or something similar. I also heard the new Canidae formulas were bad and making a lot of dogs sick, so I'm staying away from their foods all together. I have heard of Halo but wasn't that impressed with the ingredient list for the price, but I only checked out the dog formulas.

Tags
animal , art , baby , book , california , canned food , care , cat , cat food , cats , changed , cool , cut , diet , dog , dogs , dry , eating , food , free , grooming , happy , health , hey , home , kitten , kitten food , kittens , love , meow , natural , pet food , royal , sick , small , transition , type , upset , vet , wet food , wild , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links