It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-14-2008   #1 (permalink)
esmith3498

Default Black Scabs?

I picked up Maddie from the pound about 2 months ago. I immediately took her to the vet and got all her shots and fecal sample taken care of. She has been in good health until about 2 weeks ago. She started to develop a little rash by her left ear. I cleaned it with soapy water and monitored it closely. It looks like dry skin. She also started to develop hair loss by her whiskers and black scabs around her face and other ear. I talked to the vet who thought it might be ringworm and told me to put Lotramin on it. The vet also gave me some shampoo to put on Maddie as well as my other kitten and my dog (I forgot the name of it and the label has fallen off due to it being in the animals shower) I have been doing this for 2 weeks now, and it appears to be getting worse. She now has patches of hair missing from the area between her ears and eyes, and black scabs above her eyes and on her mouth. She doesnt itch it at all, and it doesnt appear to be bothering her from what I can tell. Does anyone have any idea what it might be? Here are some photos:

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-14-2008   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Question

Hi & welcome,

I'm Maya, the mum of 6 spoiled furkids What's your name?

I have no idea what it might be. I tought about something my Pochee had
once but he scratched the affected zone like a mad & this is not the case.
I'm sorry, maybe another member will help you.

Good luck,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 11-14-2008   #3 (permalink)
esmith3498

Sorry for lack of intro, my name is Eric My girlfriend and I have a dog (Parker) and cat (Maddie) that we got from the local pound, and another cat (Mia) that we rescued from the wild after her mom was hit by a car. I have no problem with taking Maddie to the vet, but it seems to be something that could be taken care of relatively easy and im missing it due to my lack of experience with cats as pets (I used to have about 30 stray cats that hung around on a farm that I grew up on, but never really had a cat of my own).

I was thinking feline acne, but when I closely examined the black scabs they arent individual like black heads.

Unread 11-15-2008   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi Eric,

It probably can be feline acne but I don't have any experience to assure you.
Another possibility can be fleas...
By the way, Maddie is very cute, congrats! Do you have pics of Mia?

Good luck & keep us posted,

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 11-19-2008   #5 (permalink)
Top Cat

catlover83 is on a distinguished road

Those black scabs are probably acne. Cats can get acne from food or from excessive licking. If your cat is shedding and licking himself too much, saliva causes bacteria build up and cat cne.
The night runs over him
like dark water

- Pablo Neruda

|

|
Unread 11-20-2008   #6 (permalink)
esmith3498

Well, I shaved Maddie everywhere there was scabs or irritated skin, and kept putting Lotramin on along with ringworm bath medicine 2X weekly. Today I took her to the vet. the vet said they just look like scabs (Made no mention of feline acne), and she couldnt be certain if it was ringworm or not. she tried using a blacklight, but they didnt light up. However, my girlfriend has what im pretty sure is ringworm under her arm. Luckily, the Lotramin is working for her. I told the vet to give me something for ringworm anyway. She gave me Miconosol for use 2x/day. Does anyone have any experience with this medicine?

Also, my other kitten Mia has had goopy eye and sneezing for a couple weeks. The vet gave me Clavamox which I have been giving her for two weeks. It looked like it was going away until yesterday, when the goop came back. Today I picked her up and her right eye is swollen, red, and her 3rd eyelid is noticeably visible. Im taking her to the vet tomorrow (If theres an opening). does anyone know of anything that I can try in the meantime?

Unread 12-28-2008   #7 (permalink)
uofmoo

Hi, I know this thread is a month old now but I am in an almost identical situation and am wondering the outcome? My kitten is Moto and she is 8 mos old, I took in 3 fosters a month ago and all was well until one of the foster kittens was adopted. All sorts of things going on - the one who was adopted had a red eye i was putting in BNP and it went away, but the adopter said the vet gave her more eyedrops for the eye after that. My kitty started showing third eyelid significantly in both eyes and losing fur in almost the same spot between the eyes and ears. The vet put her on BNP, Clavamox pills, and an anti-fungal cream. I have two red spots (one on my side and one on the shoulder) so the vet assumes it's ringworm. I've been medicating for 5 days and it's gotten much worse now - the skin is flaking, and she's now almost completely bald between the eyes and ears. she doesn't seem to overly clean or scratch much. The flaking skin is bothering me - is it a problem, should i pull the scabs/flakes off? her skin colour has turned black in the hairless areas too (is this normal?). one of my foster kittens has a consistently runny nose and sneezing which has slightly improved with Clavamox but still persists. neither of the fosters are showing bald patches, but they all seem to have white flakes in their skin that get everywhere (on my bed, on the couch, floor, etc). i thought kitty litter at first, then dandruff, now maybe lice or something? it is white - the foster kitten with the sneezing also had scabs on his neck that the shelter said were not worrisome, but looking closer they are white things stuck in the fur close to the skin but not on it, and looks quite similar to what i'm finding around the house.

sorry for the long speech, i've been to three vets now and noone seems to have ideas. the last vet took a culture for ringworm but i haven't heard anything back yet (5 days).

thanks!

Tags
adopted , another cat , bath , black , car , care , cat , cats , clean , dog , dry , eye , eyes , fur , hair loss , health , hey , house , kitten , kittens , kitty , litter , loss , missing , photos , pills , problem , ringworm , scratch , shelter , stray , vet , water , wild

Sponsored Cat Links