It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-17-2008   #1 (permalink)
Fr. Gregory

Default Anyone have experience with 'Feline Asthma'?

My little Esperanza was living outside the inner city clinic where I work for the first year of her life...and all during the cold New England winter. When I became aware of her and her situation, I brought her home and made her part of our family. She now lives with our other cat, Dulcinea in a nice warm home with lots of love and toys and food and good regular medical care. She is about two years old...as is Dulcinea. The one problem she seems to have brought with her is 'Feline Asthma', which although not a bad case, does bother her breathing from time to time...and especially at night. When it gets really bad, we take her to the vet for an injection and she also has a pediatric face mask and inhaler and medication (Predizone) if she has an attack...but which we rarely have had to use. Still when I hear her weezing at night (she sleeps in her bed right next to mine in my room) it is a constant worry to me. She seems fine...she is very active and eats well and plays a lot...but there is always that nagging worry. Does anyone else out there in 'cyber space land' have experience with feline asthma??? I would REALLY appreciate knowing about your experiences. Thanks.

Fr. Gregg

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-17-2008   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Red face

Any experience, sorry.
Maybe another member can help you.

Any pics of Dulcinea & Esperanza?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 11-19-2008   #3 (permalink)
Libbii

I think it's awesome that you brought Esperanza home to live with you instead of living outside in the cold! I found the following information on a wiki page at petwellbeing.com. I hope it helps some.

Quote:
Asthma attack in cats is commonly caused by an allergic reaction to particulate matters in the air, although it can also happen spontaneously with no apparent cause. Over-stimulation of the respiratory tract causes excessive mucus secretion and airway constriction, which will in turn cause difficulties in breathing. It is a chronic, progressive disease that cannot be fully cured; however, long term management is possible, and cats affected by asthma can live normal, healthy lives with ongoing treatment. An acute asthmatic attack has the potential of being fatal and must be treated immediately.

Symptoms and Diagnosis

In milder cases there may only be a chronic, low grade cough, and the animal may show no other signs of breathing difficulty. More severe symptoms include wheezing, labored breathing, excessive coughing, and intolerance to exercise. Other signs of breathing difficulty are: breathing with an open mouth, and excessive movement of the abdominal area when breathing. Main means of diagnosis include presence of the above symptoms, radiographs, and a response to steroid therapy.

Asthma can be difficult to diagnose in cats, and is sometimes over-diagnosed. There are also other diseases that can cause similar respiratory symptoms, such as heartworm, lungworm, and heart diseases; these must be ruled out first before a veterinarian can be sure of the asthma diagnosis.

Treatment

In severe, acute attacks, a small dose of epinephrine or other airway dilators can be administered via injection to relax the constricted airway. If the animal is indeed suffering from asthma, there will be immediate improvement to the animal’s ability to breath after steroid injection. To manage the illness on a long term basis, corticosteroid medications such as prednisone are used to relieve the airway inflammation. The medication usually comes in pill form, which must be administered orally; for cats that do not tolerate oral medication, it can also be administered through an inhaler. Feline asthmatic inhalers are a relatively recent development; they include a small face mask which ensures that the cat will breathe in the medicine, and are a very effective alternative to oral medication. It is also possible to administer the medication by injection; this is usually done periodically, especially when the cat is currently experiencing respiratory difficulty. Injection has the advantage of being longer-acting, and might be more convenient for owners if daily administration of medication is impossible.

Much like asthma in humans, feline asthma has the potential of being lethal if ignored. Nevertheless, long term management can minimize the impact of the disease on the animal’s daily life. Cats are also more tolerant to long term corticosteroid therapy, and are less affected by steroid side effects; therefore, asthmatic cats generally have a very favorable prognosis and have a normal life expectancy.

Unread 11-19-2008   #4 (permalink)
Fr. Gregory

Thanks Libbi, but it is Esperanza who has been the blessing to our home! She is so good and innocent...and humble! She is a constant 'example' to us of how good we need to be. She joined Dulcinea, who was thrown our by one of our neighbors (when she was only 8 months old herself and pregnant!) and together they have become our family. Dulcinea's three 'kids' all have good homes and both Dulcinea and Esperanza have been spayed so that the population of unwanted cats will be that much less. They are two happy girls and although the vet bills in the beginning were huge, it has all been MORE than worth it. They are simply our joy!

Fr. Gregg

Unread 11-19-2008   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Question

Any pics of your girls?

Unread 11-19-2008   #6 (permalink)
Fr. Gregory

I do have some pics of the girls, but I don't know how to post them yet. HELP!

Fr. Gregg

Unread 11-19-2008   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Talking

Okay, here you are:

Go to "Cat Pictures". Below the 4 cat's pics you have in the left side of the screen "My Photos" "My Albums" "My Favorites" & in the right side "Home" "Search" "Profile" "Upload Photos". Click on the last one & follow the instructions.

Good luck,

Tags
allergic , animal , asthma , attack , bills , breathing , care , cat , cat pictures , cats , cold , family , favorites , food , found , happy , healthy , hey , home , homes , joy , love , medical , nice , night , photos , pictures , pill , pregnant , problem , profile , search , small , spayed , toys , upload , vet , vet bills , worry

Sponsored Cat Links