It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-03-2008   #1 (permalink)
kittyland

Default Taz has FeLV

I found this kitten and saved her from being torn apart by 2 pitt bulls, then I took her to and animal shelter where I know kittens have a much quicker chance of being adopted. I have 6 other cats at the house-all rescues. Anyway the lady at the shelter said they were having and upper respiratory problem and that this kitten would likely be euthanized today. I freaked out and got her back. I kept her seperate from the others for about a week and she seemed happy, healthy and kitten like. 2 weeks later she stopped being playful and was developinga sore on her lip by here canine tooth and so I took her to the vet. they ran the FeLV test on her and she turned up positive. I've had her on antibiotics and vitamins since Saturday and have seperated her from the other cats. She has not eaten at all today and ate a little yesterday. I'm afraid I don't know what to do. I'm also worried about the exposure to my other cats even though all are vacinated for FeLV. Any help on how to get her to eat. When is the point f no return. She is drinking water just fine but wont eat. Any help on calming my fears for the other cats?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-04-2008   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi & welcome,

I'm Maya, the mum of 6 spoilt furkids you can see in my gallery

I think the best would be to keep her separated, that's the only thing I can say you because never happened to me.
Well done you rescued the kitten & I hope all will be Okay with her.

Hope to see your cat's pics soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-04-2008   #3 (permalink)
kara_leigh

If she is drinking water fine, can you thin down some wet cat food until it is really runny and maybe see if she'll try that?

Unread 12-04-2008   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

missprettyeyes is on a distinguished road

I am so sorry! I recently lost one of my ferals ( well more like a former feral) to fiv/felv and another one tested + for it so I know your pain.
Unread 12-04-2008   #5 (permalink)
kittyland

Everyone,
thanks for your imput. I did try thinning down the wet food with warm water. she said forget it. But I did talk to my vet last night and she suggested canned fish, the stinkier the better, and also baby food. So I went and bought a managerie of stuff. found that she likes the canned Salmon if I heat it a little. She also liked some of the turkey and gravy baby food. So she did finally eat last night-some, not a lot but I feel better. she also ate a bit more this morning and at lunch. Yeah!
My vet also looked into a new FDA approved drug for FeLV called Imulen which is showing some promise but doesn't have any long term results because it's too new. I thought I'd try it and see how she reacts. It starts with a weekly injection for 4 weeks, then an injection every 2 weeks for the second month and then a shot once a month for the next year. It's supposed to help boost the immune system. I don't know if the shots will have to continue forever or not but at least we can try.

Unread 12-04-2008   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Yeah, the best will be to try, there is always hope.
Good luck,

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 12-04-2008   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

chris246 is on a distinguished road

it takes a really wonderful devoted person to take on a kitty with this virus .well done to you .you deserve a medal for all your kindness you are giving to this little kittie .xxxx

Trinny, Lacymae,Saphira,Tiegan,Smoothie,Cassie,Indie,Fudge ,Blaize
Unread 12-04-2008   #8 (permalink)
Top Cat

Lyka_01 is on a distinguished road

Yeah you deserve a medal...You are really a very good person and a pet owner too...Saving a cat and helping her to heal that is admirable...

||

"If animals could speak the dog would be a a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."

Tags
adopted , animal , antibiotics , baby , cat , cat food , cat's , cats , fish , fiv , food , found , happy , healthy , heat , hey , house , kitten , kittens , kitty , lost , morning , night , person , pet , problem , shelter , test , turkey , upper respiratory , vet , water , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links