It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-29-2008   #1 (permalink)
Skitza

Default How can i get my cat to lose weight?

My cat viper is pretty overweight, Like not overly, just enough to make him look very chubby.
Does anyone know some great exercizes? or diets?
He used to play fetch with a popsickle stick when he was little, i don't know if he still does. Would that be good excercize for him?
plz let me know,
skitza

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-30-2008   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Red face

Hi Skitza,

My older cat, Domino was fat & the vet put him on a diet with Hill's r/c feline & worked. You can see him in my gallery when he was overweight.
Now he's skin & bones because he suffers from Arrythmia caused by the
enlargement of one of his heart chambers. He's medicated for all his life long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-02-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Default How to reduce your cat's weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitza View Post
My cat viper is pretty overweight, Like not overly, just enough to make him look very chubby.
Does anyone know some great exercizes? or diets?
He used to play fetch with a popsickle stick when he was little, i don't know if he still does. Would that be good excercize for him?
plz let me know,
skitza

I can tell you already know that he needs both less food and more exercise. The bad news is, it can be difficult to get a cat moving, who is used to just lying around.

The good news is, the more he moves and plays, the more he will move and play! And as he loses the excess weight he will have even more energy!

How old is Viper? How much overweight is he?

It is very important to go slow when reducing a cat's weight. sudden weight loss, especially for an overweight cat, can cause organ failure, especially the liver.

You may know already that an over weight cat is subject to many diseases, such as fatty liver disease (fatal) heart trouble,, FLUTD (lower urinary tract disease) and diabetes.

First thing to do is cut back on his food, but only a little to start. If you are free feeding, stop. You might want to ask the vet how much is safe to cut back on. (for instance if he is getting 3/4 cup a day, cut back to a little less than 3/4, at first, then as he begins to lose, cut back to 1/2 cup)

Measure out the complete quantity of his dry kibble at the beginning of the day (keep it in a little covered container) and feed him several meals during the day, from that premeasured amount.

Adding a small amount of warm water (about a tablespoon) to the kibble will not only slow Viper down when eating, it will also help him feel more full and satisfied after he eats. If he leaves some, do not leave it down, as moistened kibble will begin to form a layer of bacteria after about an hour or so.

I recommend four meals a day, depending on your schedule, two at least a half hour apart in the morning, and two in the evening, same thing, all coming from that premeasured amount.

If he gets canned too, take that into consideration. for instance if he gets half of a 6 oz. can a day, then he should not be getting more than 1/4 cup of kibble. 1/4 cup of kibble can be split into two meals, a little water added to each, a half can also can be split into two or even three servings a day, also with a little water added.

For treats, use his regular kibble, no commercial treats. Take some out of the premeasured container, and toss a piece of kibble across the floor. Viper will chase it down!

This serves several purposes. he's getting what he thinks are treats (because not served in his regular meal dish) he gets exercise while eating them, AND you get a lot of laughs.

Exercise:

Make sure Viper has things to climb and jump on. If you don't have a cat tree you can get one, build your own, or just devise some steps for him.

I have stairs in my apartment but I also have a series of graduated height bookcases in my bedroom for them to go up and down. the first bookcase is 2 feet off the ground, next four feet etc, to the top.

Feed meals up on an elevated surface so he has to jump up to eat and jump down when finished.

Interactive play is very important. Choose a time of day that is just for Viper. Every day at this time plan on spending a half hour playing Games with him. After a while he will come to expect Games with you at this time.

Change up the Games. Cats like a variety of toys. don't give up if he won't play. He's out of practice is all. get a wand type toy with a feather of some type on the end.

Get a string on a stick and drag it under a newspaper or rug. As he gets more interested you can get him jumping and leaping and running., Watch and pay attention to him, he will tell you what he likes and how he wants you to play.

Save your envelopes that come with those little celophane windows, and keep them in a box. Crumple an envelope and toss it to him. Keep tossing. Eventually he will want to chase them, or shred them or leap in the air and catch them, or bat them back to you etc. Once he learns and enjoys that Game, every time you get out the crumpled paper box, he will know you are going to play that Game with him.

remember, it may take him time to learn how to play again, and want to. Don't give up, viper's health depends on it.

I play with my cats every night around the same time. they watch and wait and when they see me turn off the computer, and turn off the kitchen light, they know it's their time. Sometimes I get busy or lazy or sick. If I don't play with them for a few nights, they are slow to get into it again. but once it's back to nightly they become wild and energetic again.

I have two cats with FLUTD, both on prescription diet, and both prone to gain weight, the methods I am giving to you are the methods I use to keep them at a healthy weight. They are both maintaining at 9 pounds.

Tags
apartment , bat , box , cat , cat's , cats , commercial , computer , cut , diabetes , diet , dry , eating , food , free , games , great , health , healthy , hey , jumping , lazy , loss , morning , moving , night , overweight , play , playing , small , stop , toys , type , vet , water , weight , wild

Sponsored Cat Links