It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-03-2009   #1 (permalink)
dimps

Default Question on a Cat that was Euthanized... Kind of.

My hubby and I recently went to our local Humane Society and fell madly in love with Kelly. After we spent a lot of time with her and became attached, the manager dropped a bomb shell on us. She came in completely skin and bones with no muscle and was actually euthanised. But she came back. She's plumped up quite a bit since then, but still has issues with her hind legs. They give out on her a bit, and they're still not completely "back to normal."

My question is really two fold:

1) Is there any information out there about any long term effects of the euthanasia (besides death)?

2) What would be involved in rehabilitating her legs? Is it like human rehab, just progressive exercise and a good diet? Or could it be more involved?

My hubby has quite a bit of experience with owning / being around previous roommate's cats, but this would be my first cat in my adult life time. As much as I want to bring Kelly home, I don't want to do her an injustice by not being fully prepared for what might be involved.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-03-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hi! I don't have any information on your questions, but I wanted to congratulate you and tell you how wonderful I think you are to accept Kelly's challenge.

I never heard of a cat "coming back" after euthanization, what are the details? I think there might be a little brain damage from lack of oxygen to the brain depending on how long she was out. Perhaps she was just in a very deep sleep? Do you have a vet picked out yet?

My advice would be to find a vet you like now, and once Kelly has been adopted, bring her to the vet and discuss your options. You want a vet you feel comfortable with and one who is willing to work at giving Kelly the best quality of life she can have.

If you want other tips on what to look for when looking for a vet I have them!<s>

Obviously Kelly is a very special kitty who was meant to live and enrich your life. Can't wait to hear more, stick around and keep us up to date!

PS even if her legs never completely become "normal" as long as they aren't causing her any pain, I bet she'll be fine.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-03-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road

Wish a quick recovery for Kelly!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 01-03-2009   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cheeky
Max24 is on a distinguished road

I too have never heard of a cat "coming back" from euthanasia. If you can get more details, please share.

Regarding the problem with her back legs: I recently lost a cat to cancer. She battled for weeks, and would 'bounce back'. At one point, I noticed her back legs were very weak. My vet (who is awesome!) told me that dehydration and a drop in potassium can cause weakness in their back legs. Once Hannah became rehydrated, her legs became strong enough for her to jump, but they were never quite right.

When I first got Hannah 11 years ago, she was a tiny kitten and very sick. She could not walk as her back legs did not function. After a few weeks of love, good food and vitamins, she was perfect. I'm guessing she had the same problem back then.

Please try to get more details on the euthanasia. I am really interested in knowing.

In the meanwhile, I hope Kelly continues to get stronger. Please keep us posted.
Max
Unread 01-03-2009   #5 (permalink)
dimps

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
If you want other tips on what to look for when looking for a vet I have them!<s>

Obviously Kelly is a very special kitty who was meant to live and enrich your life. Can't wait to hear more, stick around and keep us up to date!

PS even if her legs never completely become "normal" as long as they aren't causing her any pain, I bet she'll be fine.
I would love any tips that you could give me. I only moved here 6 months ago or so, so I don't have much personal experience with any vets. We're still looking, just using a referral from a co-worker and internet searches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max24 View Post
I too have never heard of a cat "coming back" from euthanasia. If you can get more details, please share.

Regarding the problem with her back legs: I recently lost a cat to cancer. She battled for weeks, and would 'bounce back'. At one point, I noticed her back legs were very weak. My vet (who is awesome!) told me that dehydration and a drop in potassium can cause weakness in their back legs. Once Hannah became rehydrated, her legs became strong enough for her to jump, but they were never quite right.

When I first got Hannah 11 years ago, she was a tiny kitten and very sick. She could not walk as her back legs did not function. After a few weeks of love, good food and vitamins, she was perfect. I'm guessing she had the same problem back then.

Please try to get more details on the euthanasia. I am really interested in knowing.

In the meanwhile, I hope Kelly continues to get stronger. Please keep us posted.
Max
Thanks for that. So basically, you just looked for a good healthy food and vitamins? Are there brands that you recommend? Are there supplemental vitamins that you used, or was it something that was just included in the food?

I will definitely check back with the Human Society manager to get the story from her again. To be quite honest, I was in shock and wasn't listening as carefully as I should have.

Unread 01-03-2009   #6 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cheeky
Max24 is on a distinguished road

Hi again,
I purchased special vitamins from my Vet, and truthfully, I don't remember the ones I had 11 years ago. Other than that, she was just eating Kitten Chow. More recently, during Hannah's illness, she was put on subcutaneous fluids with saline and potassium (probably not necessary if your kitty is eating/drinking) and vitamins for anemia. You should check with a Vet for the proper treatment for Kelly. Even too much of a good thing (vitamins) could be bad. The proper treatment and dosages are better left to a professional.
Please let me know how you make out.

Max =^,,^=
Unread 01-04-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimps View Post
I would love any tips that you could give me. I only moved here 6 months ago or so, so I don't have much personal experience with any vets. We're still looking, just using a referral from a co-worker and internet searches.
Referrals from coworkers is a good place to start. You can ask the shelter if they recommend a particular vet, too. And many places are starting to have their own websites, and may have places for feed back, so that can be helpful too.

Things to ask people who are giving you referrals.

Does the vet run on time? If you walk into a single vet practice and see six or seven pets waiting to be seen, that is not a good sign. However if there are six vets, and six people waiting, that's a different thing. I've left two places because the waiting was over an hour later than my appointment time. Not because of an emergency, consistently late

Is the place clean? cleanliness is very important to me. Are the floors mopped, exam tables sterilized between patients, sinks clean.

I actually ask the tech staff to clean the table in front of me, before I will put my cat on it. Yes I know she already wiped it down, but still. I make a joke about how I'm "just a paranoid cat mom" so as not to hurt any feelings, but now the techs just automatically wipe the table down again, for me, when they bring me into an exam room.

I also asked about how they disinfect themselves between patients. I don't want my vet coming from examining an FeLV positive cat to examining my cat without taking precautions. Yes of course she washes her hands but what about her lab coat? So I ask.....they spray the front of their coats down with lysol between patients.

availabilityof appointments when you call with a sick pet, are you going to be told "I can't get you in until two weeks from tomorrow". That's not acceptable. For routine visits like vaccines and annual check ups waiting a few weeks is not a big deal, and if you call a month in advance you can get the time of day you want.

But vets should leave openings for emergencies, and if you have a cat who's been sneezing for two days and not improving you should be able to get her in to be seen within a couple of days.

What about the staff? Frequent turnover in front office staff and vet tech staff tells me it's not a good place to work. And if it's not a good pace to work, it probably isn't a good place to bring my cats. In the four years I've been at the clinic I finally settled on, there has been staff added, but only one has left.

How does staff behave. do they appear calm and efficient? Or are are people thumping around with frowns on their faces, unorganized, piles of papers and files all over.....or is it tidy and neat and people smile and talk to you and eachother in a friendly manner.

Most important of course is the vet. You want someone who will listen to what you have to say, treat you and your pet with respect, answer questions, return phone calls. You want someone your cat can eventually feel comfortable with, not someone who is rough with her.

It took me seven years and four practices before I finally found a vet practice I liked. It was just luck that this place had opened about a year before I left my last choice. In the practice there are six vets (two owners, four staff vets) and I visited with each vet in turn before making my final choice as to which vet I liked.

I love my vet. She cares deeply for my cats. she has voice mail, so I can call and leave my questions, and she calls me back with answers. She always returns calls,(a deal breaker for me) and even will call on her day off to ask about the health of my senior lady. I always go to the vet with a notebook and a list of questions written down.

I ask the questions, she answers them and then waits while I write the answers down. this gives me a reference sheet for later when I can't remember what she said.

If I do research and ask about her choices or methods she is perfectly willing to explain in as much detail as I can handle why she makes the choices she does. And if I want to try some different way, she is open to new things.

So if you don't like the first vet you find, keep looking. With four special needs cats I spend a lot of time at the vet, so it is very important to me that I have a place I am happy with.

One thing to remember is to be upfront about your expectations. Not in a rude way, but if you mostly like where you are but something is making you unhappy speak up. No one is a mind reader, and hopefully the vet will make an effort to correct whatever is bothering you about her methods.

(ps. once you've settled in to a practice, showing the staff appreciation is a good way to keep them smiling and wanting to help you. coming in with a plate of brownies once in a while will not be unwelcome! One spring I dug up all the "cat nip kittens" springing up all over my garden and put them in little peat pots and brought them in for anyone who wanted one. They are still thanking me and telling me about their cat nip plants two years later!)

I hope this is helpful
Unread 01-04-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

maggiemay is on a distinguished road

Wow, I have never heard of a cat surviving death before, I do hope everything works out alright for all of you.
Unread 01-04-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Red face

It seems weird but I wish a quick recovery for Kelly.

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 01-04-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Me too. dimps, don't forget to come back and keep us update on Kelly. As you can see we are all already very attached to her and interested in her progress!

Tags
adopted , adult , advice , art , bat , calm , cat , cat nip , cats , clean , diet , eating , food , found , friendly , health , healthy , hey , home , hurt , internet , joke , kitten , kittens , kitty , lost , love , problem , question , senior , shelter , sick , sleep , story , tips , vet , weird

Sponsored Cat Links