It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-04-2009   #1 (permalink)
Diablokitty

Default Thinning World Travelling kittie

Hello,
My cat is about 6 years old. He is an indoor cat.
Lately in the past few months, my husband and I have noticed that he's loseing weight. The last vet visit he had before we moved to Germany, we were told that he was a little on the over weight side and to put him on a feeding schedule. We did that and when we took him to his next vet appointment here in Germany, we were told that he was at a "normal weight".
Now he's starting to look like a little bag of bones. I now leave his food out, He eats, but doesn't gorge himself, and we give him half a can of wet food a day for a treat. (yes he's spoiled ) He loves to eat, anything that we're eating. And normally, even though it might not be good for him, we give him a little. He's odd he'll eat some veggies, cheese, milk, and bits of different types of meat. I've changed his food to help him gain weight ... But he just won't gain weight. He's still playfull and frisky ... but i'm worried.
My last cat I had for about 15 years ... and I want this one to be with me that long or longer.
My husband says that he might not last as long cause he's a world traveler...
I'm making a Vet appointment, but I was wondering if any of you might ran into this before or know if in fact travelling accross the globe is infact something that would have an effect on a kitty two years later.
Thanks for your time
~Diablo's Momma

FYI: He flew from the states to Germany two years ago. And he did so well!!
Yet, you all know how cats are ... he didn't talk to me for about an hour and now when he sees his crate and i try to put him in it ... he pees all over me!! I guess he's trying to teach me a lesson! LOL

Last edited by Diablokitty; 01-04-2009 at 09:19 PM.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-05-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I'm glad to see that you will be bringing your kitty to the vet, he needs a check up and blood work. Since this has been going on for a couple of months I would advise you to not delay any longer. the sooner illness and problems are discovered, the easier and less expensive they are to treat.

The symptoms you describe could be from hyperthyroid disease. It is manageable with medication or cured with a treatment called radioactive iodine therapy. It also could be many other things.

Anytime there is unexplained weight loss in a cat though, a visit to the vet is the first course of action.

Please let us know what you find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-05-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Hi!

My older cat Domino is also skin & bones now because he suffers from a heart disease. That's what the vet expalined us. As you also described, he's eating a lot but he doesn't gain weight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 01-05-2009   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

Lyka_01 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzekmaya View Post
Hi!

My older cat Domino is also skin & bones now because he suffers from a heart disease. That's what the vet expalined us. As you also described, he's eating a lot but he doesn't gain weight.
Hope your cat recover soon...What your vet advise to you???

||

"If animals could speak the dog would be a a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
Unread 01-05-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Red face

Thank you. Well, he's medicated for all his life long with 3 different meds.
In the beginning were only two but last week the vet added another one because he was breathing heavy again.

Unread 01-05-2009   #6 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

che is on a distinguished road

Oh poor Dom.He's so handsome.xxxxx
Unread 01-05-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Unhappy

He WAS handsome, now he is a different kit.

Unread 02-08-2009   #8 (permalink)
Diablokitty

So it's been about four weeks since I last posted about my little man Diablo. I thought that it was about time that I gave you all an update on him.
I found out from his two hour vet visit that he doesn't have hyperthyroid disease ... he's got Kidney Disease!

The vet said that one is on the normal side but the other is small and feels lumpy. He has/had all the symptioms but two, but he's getting better. I was then told that his kidneys aren't really doing their job so to say, so he's got a chemical imblance. It even effects the kitty's mood and such. So he's been pumped full of something to help his kidneys do their job better. (can't remember what it is ... plus the medication is in German!) LOL I was told to watch him for the first week closely to see if he start to act like himself and so far so good! He goes back in for a check up at the end of the month.

The informed me that unfortunately, the signs of kidney disease usually do not appear until more than two-thirds of kidney function has been lost. Once chronic kidney failure develops, it cannot be reversed. There are options of kidney transplants and cats do really well with it.

But in Diablo's case, I still have the option to slow the disease progression. So He's on Hill's Prescription Diet k/d, wet and dry. And with some luck, the disease progression could stop and he could recover completely. We're hoping that he's not pass that point yet.

So far he's doing great. And i'm so happy to see him eat his dry food from his bowl again. He's got a ways to go, but at least we know what wrong and that it's treatable.

-Diablo's Momma

Unread 02-09-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Talking

I'm very glad that finally found what the problem was & Diablo is doing better now. Our prayers & thoughts for a complete recovery!

Take care,

Unread 02-09-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the update on Diablo. As you ahve learned kidney disease is not curable, but doens't have to be a death sentence either.

I am interested in what medication your vet has prescribed for him.

I have a cat who has been in kidney failure for almost three years now. She gets subq fluids four times a week, which I do at home. It plan on her being around for another three years at least!

She also has megacolon, hypterthyroid diesease, stroke, high blood pressure arthrits and heart murmur.

here is an excellent website for CRF.

Feline CRF Information Center - Reception Desk

please read this first

Tags
art , breathing , care , cat , cats , changed , diet , dry , dry food , eating , food , found , great , happy , heart murmur , hey , home , hyper , indoor , kitty , loss , lost , prayers , problem , problems , small , stop , thoughts , vet , weight , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links