It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-22-2009   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Fine
WeLuvCats is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to WeLuvCats Send a message via Yahoo to WeLuvCats
Question Charlies sick again

Hey all...it's been a while since I posted about Charlie, and alot has gone on sincel last summer. As I said before, it all started with an URI, to the vet, antibiotics, and nothing was working. I have since changed vets,and I now have a wonderful doctor. This summer Charlie had 2 blood transfusions, he was anemic, was on epogen, steriods,and B-12, tonics and eating Hills A/D. There was great improvement after all these treatments, and vet visits. After his blood was all better, doc wanted to try and address the URI, which he still has....so we tried every antibiotic he had, even prescribed one I had to get from my local pharmancy....didnt do a thing for him, so we tried good ole pennicillian...well, he's allergic to it, and that nearly killed him. We went to vet this week, he was given a shot of Convenia and B-12, now Charlie isnt eating like he should. Now Im worried about Lipidosis cause he isnt eating. I have to take him back in on Friday (tomorrow) and he might have to get a NG tube...Im at my wits end, I am sooo worried about him, after all this,and my boy is a fighter, Im scared Im gonna lose him...any suggestions on getting him to eat, trust me. I have tried EVERYTHING, he only will take a few licks....he is drinking water, using the kitty pan, but is not eating like he was. How about the NG tube, anyone ever dealt with this? Im a basket case, I dont think Ive prayed this hard in a long time, Im tired....any suggestions people?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-22-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello, I have gone back and read your other threads on Charlie.

Of course you are tired! What an angel you are to do so much for your beloved FurBaby. Did the diagnosis of Pure Red Cell Aplasia pan out?

Has Charlie been tested for Feline Leukemia? I almost hesitate to ask, considering all he's already been through, surely that was one of the first tests done. but I researched Pure Red Cell Aplasia a bit and a link to FeLV was mentioned. Figured it couldn't hurt to bring it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-22-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

PS this link

Pure red cell aplasia in cats: 9 cases (1989-1997). [J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1999] - PubMed Result

discusses treatment of the Aplasia with autoimmune suppressant drugs

and this link:

http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB...00/PR00409.htm

discusses ng tubes in cats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 01-22-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Unread 01-22-2009   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default charlie

Hi and thanks for your reply....yes, he has been tested for Fe Leukemia 5 times, and all were negative, as for the red cell aplasia, vet doesnt really know for sure, his blood work is excellant, cept for white blood cells, which are off the chart. Now its the stuffy, snotty nose and his not eating that is our main concern now, like I said, Im tired, and Im NOT throwing in the towel at all, Im just mentally exhausted and damn near broke...

What was that plug in you mentioned? Im willing to try anything !
Unread 01-22-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

A Feliay plug might help Charlie to feel a little better, just by making him feel more calm and content.

I have an elderly cat with many disorders, (kidney disease, hyperthyroid, stroke, high blood pressure, heart murmur, arthritis and megacolon) and I recently put the Feliway plug in back in, and she really seems to be doing a little better, grooming again, at least.

here is info on Feliway plug ins:

Comfort Zone® with Feliway® for Cats

the best price I've found is on amazon.com

Maybe it'll help perk up his appetite.

I can give you tips on other ways to help a kitty who doesn't want to eat, too if you want.

please read this first
Unread 01-22-2009   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Yes please...give me any and all tips to get him to eat....Im sure Ive tried most of em, but Im willing to try anything at this point to avoid an NG tube. Thanks, and I went and read all about the plug ins...Im going to Pet Smart this weekend...Thanks
Unread 01-22-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I'm wondering about flavors. Have you fed him any seafood or fish flavors? those tend to be the smelliest, and can spark an appetite. Especially the Fancy Feast fish and seafood flavors.

I know he is supposed to be eating the a/d, but my vet says, and I agree, there comes a point when it's more important that kitty eats, rather than what s/he eats.

Anyway these are things I try with a reluctant eater:

First, I feed in a schedule, I do not leave food down. A cat, esp one who doesn't want to eat will get so used to smelling it, it will mean nothing to him.

I make a big deal about meal time. Start saying a few minutes ahead of time "Charlie are you hungry?" Charlie do you want something to eat?

Next I open the can, noisily, and give the cat a quick sniff. this gets the saliva going and the brain starts thinking about food. (that is my theory anyway)

Warm food is smellier than cold food.

I warm the food by running hot water over the (glass) dish, and leaving a small amount of hot water in the dish (teaspoon or so) then adding a small amount of food. I stir the food for a minute to allow it to absorb the heat from the dish, (and to mix the water in).I check the temp of the food with the back of my finger, if it is just barely warm on my skin, it's right. Warm food is smellier than cold food.

(About quantity, my reluctant eaters are very picky about how much I put in the dish. for instance if I put more than a teaspoonful at a time in my Senior lady's dish she will not touch it. So only offer a little food at a time)

Now it's been about three or four minutes since you gave the whiff of food, so you bring it to him and set it in front of him. If he eats a little good. Sometimes she'll my little senior lady will eat some and leave it, and I pick it up and bring it to where ever she moves to, and put it in front of her again, and she'll eat more.

Sometimes she'll sniff, then leave it. If she does that I follow her and offer it to her again where she's moved to.

I hope some of this is helpful.

(do read that link about the ng, it makes it sound not quite so bad, though like you I would be dreading what seems like a drastic action)

please read this first
Unread 01-22-2009   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Thank you so much...
Unread 01-22-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

You're welcome.

Please come back and let me know how the vet visit goes tomorrow, Charlie will be on my mind all day. Do you have a picture of him?

please read this first
Unread 01-23-2009   #10 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

che is on a distinguished road

Hi Dawn,I hope and pray Charlie will get better.xxxxx

Tags
adorable , animal , antibiotic , antibiotics , anxiety , apartment , baby , beautiful , belly , bills , bite , bowel , boy , breeding , business , car , care , cat , cat pictures , cats , changed , computer , convenia , crazy , cute , diet , eating , elderly , eye , eyes , family , food , friends , fur , game , girl , great , happy , heart murmur , heat , hey , home , hurt , joy , kitties , lost , love , mat , morning , moving , nice , night , not eating , photos , picture , pictures , pill , pills , play , playing , prayers , pregnant , problems , profile , puppy , savannah , scared , search , senior , sick , sleeping , small , smart , steroids , thoughts , turkey , type , upload , vacation , vet , vet bills , wet food , won't eat , worry

Sponsored Cat Links