It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-29-2009   #1 (permalink)
nerveagent

Default declawing

i have a 5 month old kitten. I'm trying to weigh the pro's and con's of declawing, but all I've read has been negative. I want to know how your cats have reacted if you've had it done.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-29-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Hi & welcome,

I'm Maya, the Mom of 5 spoilt furkids you can see in my gallery.
What's your name & your kit's?

I'm deadly against declawing, I consider it as an inhumane procedure.
You can buy a cat tree instead of declawing your baby, he will get used to it & will never touch your furniture.

Think twice before you decide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)

Last edited by krzekmaya; 01-29-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-29-2009   #3 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

che is on a distinguished road

Would never do it,it's against the law in Britain.How would you like someone ripping your nails out?Should be against the law everywhere.Theres a thread about this already on this forum called,"How do you feel about declawing?" xxxxx
Unread 01-29-2009   #4 (permalink)
BuddyK

Both Buddy and Rusty have their claws. Buddy was an indoor/outdoor cat and Rusty is following his style. As such, I wouldn't declaw either of them. It's inhumane and we as the ' intelligent' species should take the responsibility to teach or make available such objects as 'scratching' posts or mats.
I found a sheet of wallboard and mounted that in the basement for Rusty. Not only does he have a 4x8 scratch pad, he has one which he can climb. It was cheap and easy to put up.

Seriously, there are alternatives. It would be like being put to sleep and having someone rip your nails out..

Unread 01-29-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Declawing is outlawed in 26 countries around the world. too bad the USA isn't one of them.

I'd like to ask you why you are considering declaw? To save some furniture is not a good reason, IMO. Cats can be trained to scratch where you want them to.

If you would like some tips on how to train your kitten to not scratch the furniture, or you, I can supply many, and I bet the others can too.

In future if you want declawed cats may I respectfully suggest that you go to any shelter and ask to adopt cats who have already been declawed and then dumped at the shleter or abandoned afterwards. There are many. Many declawed cats end up in shelters.....

Thank you for asking before doing.
Unread 01-30-2009   #6 (permalink)
Top Cat

Lyka_01 is on a distinguished road

I'm also against declawing...
Cats are born with claws...
We have no right to take that away from them...
For me if they have no claws they are incomplete...

||

"If animals could speak the dog would be a a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
Unread 01-30-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

You're correct. I totally agree with you!

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 01-30-2009   #8 (permalink)
draconvarie

I am very much against declawing. My husband Michael had a beautiful black kitty named Brenna before we were married. He was living with his mother at the time and she insisted that he get her declawed. I didn't have a say in the matter. He went ahead and had Brenna declawed because he didn't want to lose her and he couldn't afford to live on his own at the time.

The poor kitty was miserable when she came home. She couldn't walk comfortably and was very fearful. She never really got over it. She became our kitty after we got married and I loved her to pieces and we got our own place. She eventually learned to live with it but it was a terrible experience for her. If I had my way, she never would have been declawed and my husband feels terrible about it.

Shiro and Kachiko both have their claws and they're very good about only scratching their kitty condo and scratching post. Every once in a while Shiro will try to scratch on something else but not very often.

I really hope you decide against having your kitty declawed.

Unread 02-04-2009   #9 (permalink)
nahlaRIP

acutually its worse than having your nauls ripped out, the human equivalent is having your fingertips sliced off....ouch...leaves kitten poor & defenseless, much more likely to be nasty and bite...try a good cat scratcher, a really good sisal one, not some fluffy-wuffy pet store one meant to appeal to owners (ie the money bearers) than the cats themselvse. in the wild, they have trees and bark, and sisal is very imilar to this in texture...when you see kitty scratching furniture, redirecther to post, even scratch it yourself in from of her!

Unread 02-05-2009   #10 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

che is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahlaRIP View Post
acutually its worse than having your nauls ripped out, the human equivalent is having your fingertips sliced off....ouch...leaves kitten poor & defenseless, much more likely to be nasty and bite...try a good cat scratcher, a really good sisal one, not some fluffy-wuffy pet store one meant to appeal to owners (ie the money bearers) than the cats themselvse. in the wild, they have trees and bark, and sisal is very imilar to this in texture...when you see kitty scratching furniture, redirecther to post, even scratch it yourself in from of her!
Yes,I have a big lilac tree in my garden,my cats adore it.They use it as a climbing frame,and they scratch hell out of it.I recommend it to everyone.xxxxx

Tags
baby , beautiful , bite , black , cat , cats , claws , found , fur , furniture , hey , home , indoor , indoor/outdoor , kitten , kitty , love , mat , money , nails , outdoor , pet , save , scratch , scratching , scratching furniture , shelter , shelters , sleep , tips , wild

Sponsored Cat Links