It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-30-2009   #1 (permalink)
Soanala

Default I need help and some info

My cat Shorty I've had her for a few years, and she really isn't old yet.
Today I didn't realize it untill it happened infront of my eyes, but Shorty has been gagging and nothing has been coming out.

It's got me terrified because she is my buddy and I don't want to lose her for any reason, but I feel like there is nothing I can do but sit and watch her suffer when ever she gets sick.

In this case I do not know what is wrong with her, and it is currently 9:56pm right now. Aside from her random gagging, i've taken a string to try and get her to play, and she will play just fine. I've given her a small treat that she ate just fine, I took her temperature, and she hates me for that right now. But I bet the thermometer hates me more. Her temp doesn't seem to be abnormal:P

But please listen closely, Shorty usually has a high pitched adorable mew. But she growls now, and it sounds VERY low/faint/and sickly, not like her at all.

She's never done this before, but she seems a bit too sleepy, and fatigued. She'll jump up here and just curl up in my lap and fall asleep. She'll purr alright but still.. its not my cats natural behavior.

Recently me and my mom brought home to kittens, they are both pure white with spots and tabby stripes. I don't know if shorty is jeleous or what, but her gagging with nothing coming out has gotten me scared.

I have to wait till morning to get her to a vet to be seen, but if anyone has an idea as to what might be wrong with her, any bit of info would help.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-31-2009   #2 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

You must take Shorty to the vets ASAP.And please let us know how you get along.xxxxx
Unread 01-31-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello, and welcome. I'm sorry your beloved Shorty is having this problem. By now you are probably at the vet with her. I hope it's something as simple as a hairball, but you are right to bring her for veterinary attention,as it could be something much more serious.

New kittens could cause some stress to a cat used to being an only, but I think this trouble is probably not related.

Sorry there was no one around when you were first here, to offer support. Hope you will come back and update us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-31-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Question

Any news on Shorty?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 01-31-2009   #5 (permalink)
draconvarie

Sorry that I'm coming late into this...

Good idea to take Shorty to the vet asap. Let us know how she's doing as soon as you do, will you?

Unread 01-31-2009   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

chris246 is on a distinguished road

Vets is the best place but I think it could be a hairball ..the cats gag for awhile untill they can get it out ..hope your cat gets well soon ..it's always such a worry isn't it .xxx

Trinny, Lacymae,Saphira,Tiegan,Smoothie,Cassie,Indie,Fudge ,Blaize
Unread 01-31-2009   #7 (permalink)
Soanala

Default A heads up

hey guys, I got her to the vet today and he checked her out. The reason I had to wait was because it was late and my grandad had to drive me there, and also pay. I'm on benefits and most of what I get goes to paying my rent while I live with mom.

Once I got her into the clinic, I filled out some forms to get her tested for Feline Leukemia. That came back negative. She got her rabies vaccine, her temperature taken, which was normal, she had blood taken which she didn't like at all.

She had gunk built up in her left ear which the vet was able to get most of it out, he said to let the solution do the rest and perhaps she'll shake out the rest of it.

She isn't gagging anymore for right now, but she still has those low sickly growls, that has me conserned and she still wants to do nothing but sleep. But the vet felt nothing wrong internally, nore did he hear anything abnormal.

I think she'll be ok, but I know my own cat and her behavior is just a bit off.

I will continue to watch her closely for a while.

Unread 01-31-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soanala View Post
hey guys, I got her to the vet today and he checked her out. The reason I had to wait was because it was late and my grandad had to drive me there, and also pay. I'm on benefits and most of what I get goes to paying my rent while I live with mom.

Once I got her into the clinic, I filled out some forms to get her tested for Feline Leukemia. That came back negative. She got her rabies vaccine, her temperature taken, which was normal, she had blood taken which she didn't like at all.

She had gunk built up in her left ear which the vet was able to get most of it out, he said to let the solution do the rest and perhaps she'll shake out the rest of it.

She isn't gagging anymore for right now, but she still has those low sickly growls, that has me conserned and she still wants to do nothing but sleep. But the vet felt nothing wrong internally, nore did he hear anything abnormal.

I think she'll be ok, but I know my own cat and her behavior is just a bit off.

I will continue to watch her closely for a while.

Thank you for the update on Shorty. Has Shorty had a bowel movement? When you mentioned those growls, it kind of rang a bell.

My Tolly had some very strange symptoms early last summer, with not eating and practically screaming in pain if I tried to pick him up, or talking in a low growly whining type of voice, that I'd never heard him use before. (or since. Tolly never growls at anybody!)

I rushed him to the on call vet and x rays showed nothing really wrong except a large mass that we were guessing was a hairball, and a ton of gas. It was the gas that was causing him such pain.

The hairball was just so large he wasn't able to bring it up, it was gradually making it's way to the intestines (right at the opening of them in the x ray). We can't know for sure but somehow all that fur stuck in his tummy caused a build up of gas.

He didn't improve over the weekend, I was sryinge feeding him and massaging his tummy trying to relieve some of the gas. On Monday I took him to his own vet and she took another x ray which showed the mass had moved down in the intestine but still not close to leaving his body yet.

My vet prescribed a dose of laxatone (hair ball remedy) four times a day until he passed the thing. It took two more days, but he did finally have a BM and it was full of fur.

Hairballs can be very serious. I suggest you get some laxatone or other hairball remedy and start dosing her with it. If she won't eat it (some cats do like it) put a blob on your finger and swipe it into her mouth. As a last resort you can spread it thin on her fore paw and she will lick it off. Make sure it's spread thin layer, other wise she will just flick it off, or go wipe it on the couch or your good rug.

You can also rub her tummy (if she allows that) and encourage her to stretch and roll. This may help too, if it is gas, or a hair ball causing her such discomfort.

Did the vet check her mouth?
I'm sorry you don't feel more relieved after seeing the vet.

please read this first

Tags
adorable , art , behavior , bowel , cat , cats , eating , eyes , fur , growls , hey , home , kittens , morning , natural , paw , play , problem , rabies , scared , sick , sleep , small , stress , tabby , type , vaccine , vet , won't eat , worry

Sponsored Cat Links