It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-09-2009   #1 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Default Tramadol for pain

I'm going to be starting my senior lady Ootay on tramadol for arthritis pain.

My vet and I have been talking about this for a long time, but I keep delaying as tramadol does have some side affects that could be troubling to her.

Constipation and nausea are what we are worried about. Ootay has megacolon so constipation is always an issue, and she also has nausea quite often, because of her kidney disease.

She gets 1/4 of a pepcid ac tablet every morning to help with the nausea and vomiting and she takes mineral oil (2 x a day) cisapride (3 x a day) and pysllium (1 x a day) for the megacolon, but still sometimes has trouble.

However I can tell her pain is getting worse and becoming a quality of life issue.

My vet wants to prescribe a liquid version. I prefer pills because they are easier to administer than liquid, but vet feels liquid will be able to give her a more exact dose.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-09-2009   #2 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

I have taken Tramadol in the past,after I had an op on my back.I hope and pray the beautiful Ootay doesn't have any problems with the medication,good luck dear.xxxxx
Unread 02-09-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Red face

Hi Acerlt,

Hope your Ootay will feel better soon, poor thing
I always preferred to give my kits a liquid version of their meds with syringe (without the needle, of course), it was easier for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-09-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thank you Maya and Cheryl. Ootay takes pills much better than liquid, but I trust my vet, so if she says liquid will be a more accurate dose I will believe her and give it a try.

It's very expensive. But what the heck, it's only money. I spend thousands at the vet every year with four special needs cats. And that's not counting supplies and medicines.

Hmm, I just had an idea. Vet said the dose is going to be very small, just 2 ml. I'll ask her if I can put that small amount of liquid into a gel capsule and give it to her that way. that's how I give Ootay her cisapride pills. the cisapride tablets have to be broken up for maximum effectiveness, so I break each dose into four pieces and put them in a gel capsule.

Ootay weighs only 4 pounds now. she has CRF, hyperthyroid disease, high blood pressure, stroke (2), arthritis, heart murmur and megacolon.

She can't take the hyperthyroid medicine in any form, so the disease is unchecked, (we've tried them all) so she will never regain any weight. She can't take the high blood pressure medicine either, she had fainting spells, so between the two, danger of a third stroke is high.

I placed a stop on all blood work and vet trips about five weeks ago. The blood work just shows things we already know (hyperthyroid escalating, kidney disease progressing). Weight monitoring really isn't helpful now as we know she is going to lose weight. taking her BP isn't helpful as we know she can't take the norvasc.

While she's a real trooper at the vet, the last two times I put her in her carrier she cried, which she has never done before. I took that to mean she was telling me she'd had enough of it all. I listened to her and promised her no more trips to the vet unless she gets very sick and no more blood work ever.

In addition to all her daily meds she gets subq fluids four times a week, and B-12 and B-complex shots every 10 or 12 days. I do these at home.

She still has excellent quality of life, except for the arthritis pain. I am hoping the tramadol will help with that.

here is Ootay enjoying her Circle Bed, sent to her at Christmas by a devoted friend out in Washington State. You can see she keeps her favorite Drag String near by.

She spends most of her time sleeping in this bed in the bathroom ((next to the heater) Sometimes she moves to her bed-bed (bed I made for her that stays on my bed) with Tolly.

Last edited by acerlt; 08-04-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Unread 02-09-2009   #5 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

Aw bless her,she looks very comfy in her circle bed.Poor Ootay has been through so much dear,you are a wonderful Meowmy,xxxxx
Unread 02-09-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

here is Ootay sleeping with her beloved Tolly in her bed-bed. Tolly does not join her in the Circle Bed, that is for herownself alone.

Tolly is devoted to Ootay and I fear his grieving when she's told me she's had enough. He grieved for weeks when he lost his Bibbs(rb 3/05). Even after the grieving stopped he continued to look for Bibbs for months. It broke my heart.

It took more than a year for him to be back to his normal cheerful self, but even then, he lost a bit of sparkle that never came back. he's known grief and pain and it changed him a tiny bit. He gets very nervous when I take Ootay to the vet and is waiting by the door for her when we come home. The few times I've had to leave her there, came home without her, he went frantic looking for her and calling allover the apartment.

Unread 02-09-2009   #7 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

Aw love him,he looks as if he's protecting her.He is so handsome.xxxxx
Unread 02-09-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

They are adorable kitties Thoughts & prayers for Ootay from auntie Maya.

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 02-09-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by che View Post
Aw love him,he looks as if he's protecting her.He is so handsome.xxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by krzekmaya View Post
They are adorable kitties Thoughts & prayers for Ootay from auntie Maya.
Thanks you guys, he is very protective of her. You should see how he plays with her so gentle. You know how they leap on top of eachother? Well he runs to leap on her but because he's so tall and she's so little he can land on top of her without touching her at all. He's so careful to never be rough with her.

And that's saying a lot because he has to play really rough with the other two girls!

I took this shot just beofre I left for work today, they are devoted to eachother.

Unread 02-10-2009   #10 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Thanks you guys, he is very protective of her. You should see how he plays with her so gentle. You know how they leap on top of eachother? Well he runs to leap on her but because he's so tall and she's so little he can land on top of her without touching her at all. He's so careful to never be rough with her.

And that's saying a lot because he has to play really rough with the other two girls!

I took this shot just beofre I left for work today, they are devoted to eachother.
This pic is fab,pure devotion.Beautiful kits.xxxxx

Tags
addition , adorable , apartment , beautiful , boy , cats , changed , christmas , cold , eyes , heart murmur , hey , home , hyper , kitten , kitties , lost , love , money , morning , nausea , nervous , pills , prayers , problems , senior , sick , sleeping , small , stop , thoughts , vet , vomiting , weight

Sponsored Cat Links