Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum

Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum (http://www.i-love-cats.com/forums/)
-   Cat Health & Nutrition (http://www.i-love-cats.com/forums/cat-health-and-nutrition/)
-   -   Unexplained hair loss (http://www.i-love-cats.com/forums/cat-health-and-nutrition/53070-unexplained-hair-loss.html)

Pooka 02-11-2009 03:53 PM

Unexplained hair loss

Hello, my cat Jake is 8 years old. In the last few months, we have noticed hair loss. His ears are bald, the patches above his eyes are almost naked now, and he has 5 spot on his body that are now bald. The skin where the hair is gone is normal- no redness, sores, itchiness, anything. He doesn't lick the bald spots, and isn't acting any different. But he is going bald. I have had him since he was about 2, so I have lots of pics to look at and see the amount of hair lost. I was just curious if anyone else has had this happen? The vet says the skin is normal, and unless we want to test his thyroid, nothing needs to be done. He is indoor only, and none of the other cats have spots. Thanks!

acerlt 02-11-2009 09:02 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum! does your vet think Jake's hair loss could be from hyperthyroid disease?

I have a kitty with hyperthyroid disease (along with many other things). She doesn't have hair loss, but that doesn't mean hair loss isn't a symptom as each kitty is different.

I urge you to have blood work done, incluidng the thyroid, it may help with a diagnosis, and even if everything is normal, it's a good idea to have a base line blood panel done at his age anyway.

Are you sure he's not licking? he could be doing it when you aren't looking. Any stresses? New person in the house, or someone gone? new pet? New pet in the neighborhood prowling around that he could see through a window? new laundry detergent, fabric softener, cat litter, food?

catlover83 02-16-2009 12:04 AM

Unexplained hair loss can be caused by an autoimmune disorder. Hyperthyroid disease is just one of them.

krzekmaya 02-16-2009 05:00 AM

My deceased Pochee had something similar once: it was lack of hormones
but he was licking & scratching like a mad, poor thing! :(

Pooka 02-16-2009 01:27 PM

Well, we took Jake to the vet and did a complete blood and urine panel, just in case it wasnt his thyroid. The tests were all normal, even the thyroid. I guess he is just getting older? We did move him 300 miles on Jan 4- maybe this is just a stress reaction? I don't know. Guess its just Jake.

krzekmaya 02-16-2009 01:29 PM

What about fleas? :confused:

Lyka_01 02-18-2009 02:32 AM

Go back to your vet and let him test your cat thyroid...
I think that's the best thing to do...

krzekmaya 02-18-2009 05:49 AM

Yes, just in case... :o

abrahamlitan 03-07-2009 12:35 AM

You say her thyroid is fine - have you also checked her adrenal function (cushings disease) and hormone levels? Doubtful if it is allergies since she doesn't itch. Here are two links, both mention melatonin as a possible cure for some causes of alopecia. It is an over the counter natural sleep aid.