It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-11-2009   #1 (permalink)
Pooka

Default Unexplained hair loss

Hello, my cat Jake is 8 years old. In the last few months, we have noticed hair loss. His ears are bald, the patches above his eyes are almost naked now, and he has 5 spot on his body that are now bald. The skin where the hair is gone is normal- no redness, sores, itchiness, anything. He doesn't lick the bald spots, and isn't acting any different. But he is going bald. I have had him since he was about 2, so I have lots of pics to look at and see the amount of hair lost. I was just curious if anyone else has had this happen? The vet says the skin is normal, and unless we want to test his thyroid, nothing needs to be done. He is indoor only, and none of the other cats have spots. Thanks!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-11-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome to the forum! does your vet think Jake's hair loss could be from hyperthyroid disease?

I have a kitty with hyperthyroid disease (along with many other things). She doesn't have hair loss, but that doesn't mean hair loss isn't a symptom as each kitty is different.

I urge you to have blood work done, incluidng the thyroid, it may help with a diagnosis, and even if everything is normal, it's a good idea to have a base line blood panel done at his age anyway.

Are you sure he's not licking? he could be doing it when you aren't looking. Any stresses? New person in the house, or someone gone? new pet? New pet in the neighborhood prowling around that he could see through a window? new laundry detergent, fabric softener, cat litter, food?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-16-2009   #3 (permalink)
Top Cat

catlover83 is on a distinguished road

Unexplained hair loss can be caused by an autoimmune disorder. Hyperthyroid disease is just one of them.
The night runs over him
like dark water

- Pablo Neruda

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

|
Unread 02-16-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

My deceased Pochee had something similar once: it was lack of hormones
but he was licking & scratching like a mad, poor thing!

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 02-16-2009   #5 (permalink)
Pooka

Well, we took Jake to the vet and did a complete blood and urine panel, just in case it wasnt his thyroid. The tests were all normal, even the thyroid. I guess he is just getting older? We did move him 300 miles on Jan 4- maybe this is just a stress reaction? I don't know. Guess its just Jake.

Unread 02-16-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Question

What about fleas?

Unread 02-18-2009   #7 (permalink)
Top Cat

Lyka_01 is on a distinguished road

Go back to your vet and let him test your cat thyroid...
I think that's the best thing to do...

||

"If animals could speak the dog would be a a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
Unread 02-18-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Lightbulb

Yes, just in case...

Unread 03-07-2009   #9 (permalink)
abrahamlitan

You say her thyroid is fine - have you also checked her adrenal function (cushings disease) and hormone levels? Doubtful if it is allergies since she doesn't itch. Here are two links, both mention melatonin as a possible cure for some causes of alopecia. It is an over the counter natural sleep aid.

Tags
age , allergies , cat , cats , dry , eyes , fleas , food , hair loss , house , hyper , indoor , kitty , licking , links , litter , loss , lost , natural , person , pet , scratching , sleep , stress , test , urine , vet , window

Sponsored Cat Links