It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-14-2009   #1 (permalink)
mynameis

Default Asparagus?

Is it all right to feed a cat Asparagus? Are there any health benefits?
Coco loves cooked Asparagus, but I only gave her a couple of pieces since I wasn't sure if it was alright for her to eat.

What other fruits and vegetables can cats eat that are good for their health?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-14-2009   #2 (permalink)
catz1

Hi
I don't want to sound mean but I wouldn't feed any cat fruits or vegetables. For instance, eating plant matter alters the body chemistry and causes urine PH to be alkaline. Which in turn, causes urinary crystals - which can cause the cat pain and agony and lead to death! Plant matter in a cat's diet can also interfere with the proper absorption of nutrients. I'm not sure if very small amounts affect cats this drastically but I like staying on the safe side. Rule of thumb: if they don't eat it in the wild, they don't eat it indoors.

My kitty gets no table scraps ever, only dry and canned food. She also gets raw mince meats.

Hope this helps.....

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-14-2009   #3 (permalink)
mynameis

Thank you, and you didn't sound mean.
I only fed her a couple of small one inch peices because I wasn't sure. I rarely feed her table scraps, unless it's a small peice of pure chicken.

If you don't mind me asking, what are mince treats? Did you mean raw mice treats?

Unread 02-14-2009   #4 (permalink)
catz1

Thanks, I wasn't sure if I was being harsh...didn't want to come across that way

I get chicken necks from the butcher. Other raw meats, mostly chicken or organs (like gizzards and hearts), I mince up with a handy lil mincer I have ... Maggie loves it. I never got in the habit of giving her treats.

Unread 02-15-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Cool

I never give them veggies. Only Pochee ate avocado

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 02-15-2009   #6 (permalink)
catz1

LOL Maya!! Of all things to eat ... an avocado??? It would seem to be the most unlikely of all!

Unread 02-15-2009   #7 (permalink)
mynameis

Quote:
Originally Posted by catz1 View Post
Thanks, I wasn't sure if I was being harsh...didn't want to come across that way

I get chicken necks from the butcher. Other raw meats, mostly chicken or organs (like gizzards and hearts), I mince up with a handy lil mincer I have ... Maggie loves it. I never got in the habit of giving her treats.
Do chicken organs tend to be more healthy for the cat? Just wondering, since I usually just feed her plain white meat-never organs.

Unread 02-16-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I just did a google on "asparagus cats" and it turns out there are lots of cats who eat asparagus!

While I don't like to give my cats people food (except cooked white breast chicken meat if one is sick, yogurt for diahrrea) I have two who will kill for green beans or green peas, one whom no watermelon is ever safe from, and one who will climb up right onto my lap and try to steal the tomato sauce from my spaghetti! Oh, and two who will go to great lengths to steal cheese.

And I use tiny TINY amounts of mayonaise as a special treat (aka bribe) at nail trimming time.
Unread 02-16-2009   #9 (permalink)
Top Cat

catlover83 is on a distinguished road

My cat eats asparagus. She also eats squash, green beans, lettuce, bread, raw bread dough, etc. But this is not her daily diet. It's ok to feed your cat fruits and vegies just make sure they're fresh and safe to eat.
The night runs over him
like dark water

- Pablo Neruda

|

|
Unread 02-16-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover83 View Post
My cat eats asparagus. She also eats squash, green beans, lettuce, bread, raw bread dough, etc. But this is not her daily diet. It's ok to feed your cat fruits and vegies just make sure they're fresh and safe to eat.
good advice. and not so much that it interferes with their consumption of cat food., which ahs all the nutirents they require.

You reminded me, I have a bread/cracker stealer too. I've caught her in the act, on video, stealing crackers.

But once (and only once, LOL) I left a loaf of whole wheat bread out on the table. when I came home that night there was bits and chunks of bread spread from here to there! She'd had a field day, for sure. I didn't worry that she'd eaten too much of it either, because there were several piles of regurgitated bread. Erk!

Tags
advice , canned food , cat , cat food , cat's , cats , cool , diet , dry , eating , food , great , health , healthy , hey , home , kitty , mat , night , raw , sick , small , stealing , urine , video , wild , worry

Sponsored Cat Links