It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-16-2009   #1 (permalink)
vjcantos1818

Question Canned VS Dry Food

Is wet really better than dry?
My vet told me it's not advisable to only give canned food to cats because the preservatives damage their liver..
Is this true..?..
After researching, I though canned was the way to go..
I'm currently switching Felidae with Natural Balance..
And an occasional Tiki Cat..
So which is it..?..

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-16-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Well, I don't know if we can say if one is good & the other bad.
I remember with my first cat Pochee, the vet telling me to give him both.
Now, I continue to do so, dry food is always available in the gravity feeder & once a day in the evenings, they eat wet food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-16-2009   #3 (permalink)
DWMeowMix

Hi vjcantos,

Don't be fooled by his statement. Dry food contains just as many preservatives and other nasty stuff as most canned. Not to mention the issue of storage. Dry pet foods are commonly stored in warehouses and store shelves for long periods of time and in scientifically tested cases 9 out of 10 commercial dog and cat foods where infested with storage mites. Also the fat content goes rancid (oxidizes) which causes serious health issues in humans. Can you imagine what it will do to your pets? There's also mold issues... Read on: How You Store Dry Dog Food Will Affect Your Dog’s Health. The Natural Paw

Quote:
Common practice is to heavily preserve already rancid fats, with such chemicals as BHT/BHA and Ethoxyquin, to prevent further deterioration. These fats are a staple of the dry and canned food products, and is what you smell (YUK) when you serve up your friends meals.
Quote:
BHT/BHA and Ethoxyquin
These popular preservatives are heavily used in the pet food industry, not only to preserve fats but to stabilize the whole product as well. We have certainly been educated as to the dangerous side-effects of BHT/BHA in our own diets as a serious carcinogen, but little truth has been shared about Ethoxyquin. This preservative was developed in the 1950's as a rubber stabilizer and herbicide, very similar to Agent Orange! It was either never approved by the FDA or recalled after three years of human use (I researched both accounts) but one thing is for certain, the documented cases of serious side-effects resulting from exposure to, or ingestion of this chemical. Humans who were working with it in the rubber industry, reported a dramatic rise in such diseases as liver/kidney damage, cancerous skin lesions, loss of hair, blindness, leukemia, fetal abnormalities and chronic diarrhea. In animals it has been linked to immune deficiency syndrome, spleen, stomach and liver cancer, as well as the above mentioned diseases. The steady increase in animal cancer and serious diseases has paralleled the increased use of chemical preservatives in the pet food industry during the last twenty-five years!
What's In Your Pet's Food?

Kibble is made of corn, corn is a carbohydrate. Cats do not need carbohydrates, although corn is used as a filler for both dry and canned food. It causes extreme obesity, UTI's, diabetes and a host of other problems. Cats are strict obligate carnivores meaning:

"It means that your cat was built by Mother Nature to get her nutritional needs met by the consumption of a large amount of animal-based proteins (meat) and derives much less nutritional support from plant-based proteins (grains). It means that cats lack specific metabolic (enzymatic) pathways and cannot utilize plant proteins as efficiently as animal proteins. " Feeding Your CatI LOVE CATS!I LOVE CATS! Know the Basi

I apologize if this sounds "preachy" but you pushed a button with me on the subject of nutrition. I have seen first hand the MIRACLES that quality nutrition can do for your pet and sorry but kibble, in my opinion, doesn't make the cut. Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now...

Last edited by DWMeowMix; 02-18-2009 at 12:02 PM.

Unread 02-17-2009   #4 (permalink)
DWMeowMix

Well, I wrote you a nice informative post yesterday afternoon and it still hasn't shown up yet. I'm getting kinda bummed that none of my posts are getting posted in a timely manner. Ask the mod if she will kindly remove the setting that blocks my posts.

DWMeowMix

Unread 02-18-2009   #5 (permalink)
Top Cat

Lyka_01 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzekmaya View Post
Well, I don't know if we can say if one is good & the other bad.
I remember with my first cat Pochee, the vet telling me to give him both.
Now, I continue to do so, dry food is always available in the gravity feeder & once a day in the evenings, they eat wet food.
Just like Maya I also give my baby both (wet and dry)...
So far I have no problem with him...

||

"If animals could speak the dog would be a a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
Unread 02-18-2009   #6 (permalink)
DWMeowMix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyka_01 View Post
Just like Maya I also give my baby both (wet and dry)...
So far I have no problem with him...
Yet.......

Unread 02-18-2009   #7 (permalink)
vjcantos1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMeowMix View Post
Well, I wrote you a nice informative post yesterday afternoon and it still hasn't shown up yet. I'm getting kinda bummed that none of my posts are getting posted in a timely manner. Ask the mod if she will kindly remove the setting that blocks my posts.

DWMeowMix
I just got it now..
So canned is definitely better..?..
No need to buy dry for variety or something..?..
I was gravitating towards canned and raw..
I'm just waiting for the store to stock some Nature's Variety Raw Diet..

Unread 02-18-2009   #8 (permalink)
vjcantos1818

Now I'm confused..

Unread 02-18-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMeowMix View Post
Yet.......
Yet what? I'm feeding them like this since 1991 & I think I never poisoned anyone of my kits!!

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 02-18-2009   #10 (permalink)
vjcantos1818

I kinda want to rotate the food..
So sometimes raw (i think it's flash frozen though)..
Sometimes canned..
I'm not really into kibble..
The kittens eat anything I put in front of them (Tiki Cat seems to be an absolute fave)..But I only use that as a sort of extra when I'm home..I read that too much fish can also be detrimental to a cat..
Angel would eat practically anything..And in large amounts..
Wagner, on the other hand, clearly prefers canned to kibble..
And would only eat one or two pieces if nothing else is there..
So canned will definitely be the staple..
I also have flash-frozen chicken bits (so they're still classified as raw) which I crumble and put on top of their food as enticement..
They like that as well..
So I was thinking, if I rotate their food..Canned usually, then an occasional Raw and Kibble..Plus the vitamins prescribed by the vet..
That would help them stay healthy..
Won't it..?..

*oh by the way, acerlt..they've just been given their anti-rabies shots *

Tags
art , baby , book , canned food , cat , cat food , cat's , cats , cut , diarrhea , diet , dogs , dry , dry food , eating , eye , eyes , family , fish , food , friends , great , health , healthy , hey , home , infection , informative , internet , joke , kitten food , kittens , kitties , kitty , medical , mites , nice , nutrition , obesity , opinion , overweight , poison , problem , problems , question , rabies , raw , royal , senior , siamese , urine , uti , vet , vomit , water , wet food , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links