It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-17-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

danawal2 is on a distinguished road
Default Sma

My Kitten has Spinal Muscular Atrophy, she is a maine coon kitten named Tillie. Does anyone else have a kittie with this disorder? Just need some support. I don't really know what to expect.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-17-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Hi & welcome,

Thank God I never had a kit with this illness. Did you take him to the vet?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-17-2009   #3 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

che is on a distinguished road

Hi and welcome to you and Tillie,how old is she?I'm Cheryl,I'm not sure if there are any members with cats on here with SMA.There are Maine Coon breeders on here,maybe they know about it.Another member will most probably be able to advise you later.I'm sorry I can't,I have only read a little about SMA.xxxxx
Unread 02-17-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome to you and Tilly. I googled it but there doesn't seem to be much out there. Two cattery sites, but they just give thechnical info on what it is and why, not prognosis or what to expect.

Probably breeders don't keep cats with this alive.

I remember seeing a video on a little cat named Charlie with this disorder a couple of years ago. It was beautiful, but I don't know how to find it. I searched youtube for it with no luck.

Since none of us know much we'd love for you to stick around and keep us updated on Tilly, how you care for her, how she's doing etc.

And we can offer support if you get tired!

(you could make your own video)

Last edited by acerlt; 02-17-2009 at 10:27 AM. Reason: correct typos
Unread 02-17-2009   #5 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

Has your vet given you any advice on what to expect?xxxxx
Unread 02-17-2009   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

Smile

Thanks for all of your responses, My Vet doesn't know alot about it, but that she is not in any pain. I'm just worried she will get were she can not walk or get around very good. Right now she just walks a little wobbly, and her back end is very curved. But she eats very well and still plays. She also has asthma, so she takes prednisone for that. We adopted her from a no kill shelter, I think a breeder probably dropped her off when they discovered she had the illness. She is a beautiful maine coon kittie. We discovered her walking funny when she was around 5 months old. But she is doing well at the moment.
Unread 02-17-2009   #7 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

Hi,I saw a photo of Tillie in your gallery,she is so sweet,bless her.All I read about it,is that they can have a good quality indoor life.Is she the only pet you have?xxxxx
Unread 02-17-2009   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

Yes she is our only baby, She is only about 7 months old. We adopted her when our 18 yr Clarence passed away from cancer in October. She is very loved.
Unread 02-17-2009   #9 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

Oh I'm so sorry you lost Clarence,I hope someone else will be able to give you some advice,try and read all you can about SMA on the net,I suppose you have though.I will ask my niece at the weekend if she knows anything.Give Tillie a big furry hug off me anyway.Oh nearly forgot,what is your name?xxxxx
Unread 02-17-2009   #10 (permalink)
Newborn

Thanks for being so sweet. My name is Dana.

Tags
adopted , adorable , advice , asthma , baby , beautiful , breeder , breeders , care , cat , cat's , cats , fun , funny , great , happy , hey , indoor , kitten , kitties , kitty , loss , lost , love , maine coon , new to this , nice , pet , picture , shelter , vet , video , youtube

Sponsored Cat Links