It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-19-2009   #1 (permalink)
GossipGirl

Unhappy Please reassure me!!!

Phoenix started vomiting today, I found a big blob of vomit/food on the entrance rug and I found him vomiting a bit more after dinner, but it was just vomit/saliva. He refuses to eat. Phoenix is a food-driven cat, when we get home from work he follows us and goes to the cupboard where his food is and waits. But this time, nothing, his food is just sitting there.

Earlier this week, we adopted a 5-year-old cat from a shelter but we had to give her back because she wasn't eating, it had been 4 days and she hadn't eaten anything at all, and she vomited at least once a day... We suspect anxiety, she was unhappy and preferred the shelter.

Now, I'm scared she was sick and now my cat caught it... Or could it just be anxiety?? I'm so worried I called the shelter to ask how Sierra's doing, they said she still isn't eating but hasn't vomited since she got back.

Phoenix is not overweight, he eats twice a day, in the morning and in the evening, a bit less than a cup a day since he's smaller than the average cat.

Does it ever happen to you that your cat vomits randomly but there's nothing wrong? Like humans do sometimes? A bug?

Last edited by GossipGirl; 02-19-2009 at 08:23 PM.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-19-2009   #2 (permalink)
draconvarie

I think it would be a good idea to go to your vet as soon as possible. It might be nothing more than a virus, but you want to be sure.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-19-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I agree a trip to the vet may be needed. It could just be a hairball, but even hairballs can cause serious problems, as I can testify.

Are there any other symptoms? How about litter box habit? Has he pooped today? Peeing normally? Playing, other behaviors normal?

<in edit> do you have any laxatone or other hairball remedy handy?

Last edited by acerlt; 02-19-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Unread 02-19-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

by the way, a little less than a cup of food is actually quite a bit of food! My two 9 pound females eat a half cup of kibble a day, plus 2 teaspoons of canned food,
Unread 02-19-2009   #5 (permalink)
GossipGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Are there any other symptoms? How about litter box habit? Has he pooped today? Peeing normally? Playing, other behaviors normal?
I checked his litterbox and there's poop and pee. He doesn't really wanna be touched but that's not new. But usually in the evening he stays with us in the livingroom and sleeps on the couch and right now he's just in our bedroom, on the bed

Quote:
<in edit> do you have any laxatone or other hairball remedy handy?
I don't

It's quite late to go to the vet now but if tomorrow morning he hasn't eaten or I find more vomit, I'll give them a call. Phoenix vomited twice tonight, that I saw. And found some on the carpet, from today, and I did found some dried vomit at two different places as well...

Quote:
by the way, a little less than a cup of food is actually quite a bit of food! My two 9 pound females eat a half cup of kibble a day, plus 2 teaspoons of canned food,
You mean I'm not feeding him enough or too much?

Unread 02-19-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GossipGirl View Post

You mean I'm not feeding him enough or too much?
Oh, no, I didn't mean either. I was only making a random comment. A little less than a cup sounds like a lot to me, since my cats eat a lot less than that. If he is a healthy weight then you are feeding him just right.

The thing about hair balls is, if they get too big, the kitty has trouble passing them or bringing them up. If he doesn't bring it up, it has to make it's way through the other way. if it's large it can cause trouble, such as gas buildup in his tummy, which can cause vomiting. No room for the food, with so much gas in there.

I have had this experience twice, with two different cats, and the results were very costly.

The first was when my Mazy cat was about a year and a half old. She began this projectile vomiting, couldn't keep a thing down. she was starving, would try to eat and it would come right back up, then she would look at me with these sad eyes, "help me mommy!" It was during a regular day hours, but she had to have x rays and tests, very expensive. the x ray showed a mass just entering her intestine, and a large (excessive) amount of gas in her tummy.

The mass was assumed (hoped) to be a hair ball but the gas wasn't really explainable. The treatment was large amounts of hairball remedy until she pooped again. Laxatone four times a day, she finally passed it (yes it was fur) the second day. Cost me over $200, not that I'm complaining.

Tolly's was worse, it happened this past early summer. Ever since Mazy's problem I dose regularly with hairball remedy (twice a week in winter, every other day during shedding season) He had to have dental surgery, was in pain, a lot going on, he did not get his hair ball medicine for over a week.

One Saturday I came home in the afternoon and saw immediately there was something wrong with him, he didn't get up to greet me. I picked him up and he SCREAMED in pain.

My gosh it was scary. I called my vet's number and got the on call practice and called them, they said bring him right in (an hour away!) and told me the emergency fee was $75 on top of any treatment. who cares.

The vet did a through exam, saw how he was screaming in pain, she couldn't see any obvious injury like broken ribs etc. x rays were next, of course, and x rays showed a ton of gas in his tummy, and a large mass making it's way into the intestine, just like Mazy's. Tentative diagnosis, hairball.

Again, laxatone four times a day..and so on. He didn't get better as quickly though, and I brought him in to see his own vet on Monday. At that point I was sryinge feeding him to keep his organs from shutting down. My vet did her own x rays and it showed the gas was still bad, and the mass had moved a little but not much. She told me to keep on with the laxatone, stop the sryinge feeding to see if he would get hungry enough to eat on his own, but give him sub q fluids to keep him from dehydrating (I have those supplies because I do sub q for my CRF kitty)

It took two more days for him to pass the thing. He finally went in the middle of the night, but announced it in very loud tones that he was going so I got up, watched him go, then put on gloves and pulled the poop apart to see what was in there, was it something he ingested or just fur....oh...it was fur, a ton of it.

Tolly's hairball cost almost $500, LOL!

I have heard even of hairballs having to be surgically removed.

Well I am talking your ear off here, and it may not even be a hair ball but..just thought I'd mention it.

It's a good idea to keep the laxatone or petromalt or whatever handy.

please keep us posted
Unread 02-19-2009   #7 (permalink)
GossipGirl

Thanks for the info.

Phoenix hasn't vomited since 8pm now so I'm crossing my fingers it's over! He's sleeping on our bed. I left his food bowl there, with a little bit of food.

About his food, I give him a tiny bit more than 1/4 a cup twice a day. So a bit more than half a cup a day. It's from Purina Veterinary Diets - Maintenance.

Unread 02-19-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GossipGirl View Post
Thanks for the info.

Phoenix hasn't vomited since 8pm now so I'm crossing my fingers it's over! He's sleeping on our bed. I left his food bowl there, with a little bit of food.

About his food, I give him a tiny bit more than 1/4 a cup twice a day. So a bit more than half a cup a day. It's from Purina Veterinary Diets - Maintenance.
I'm sure that's just right for him since you said he isn't over weight.

You know, I read once that even one kibble too much every day can eventually make an obese cat. So a little over half a cup a day is actually a lot less than a little less than a cup, if you see what I mean.

I'm sure you think I must be crazy, by now, LOL! but I do take my cats' diet very seriously.

One thing I want to add. It's better, IMO, to not leave food down near him like that. When he's constantly got the food smell in his nostrils it just kind of stops meaning anything.

And if he doens't feel good, it may actually turn his appetite off. You know how, if you've got a stomach bug, the smell of food just makes you want to hurl?

Better to just wait a while, or even wait until tomorrow morning, and offer him his regular breakfast. It wont hurt him to miss a meal for one night, and may help him feel better to leave his tummy empty.

I've been advised by my vet, if a cat is vomiting his food, to just stop giving him any until the next morning.
Unread 02-19-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Default purina veterinary diet?

What is Phoenix's condition, that he is on the Purina Veterinary Diet maintenance? Maintenance for what, I mean?
Unread 02-19-2009   #10 (permalink)
GossipGirl

Maintenance of good health. It's what my vet advised.

I too take my pet's diets very seriously. I try to give them quality food.

He hasn't eaten since 7am this morning, because that's when we feed him, then we give him his dinner around 6-7pm but tonight he didn't eat it so he's not vomiting his food... But I'll get rid of his dish for now and see tomorrow morning.

He seems to be feeling a bit better, reacting to my walking in to the bedroom and letting me pet him. I'll keep you posted!

Tags
adopted , animal , antibiotics , anxiety , art , baby , bowel , box , boy , camera , canned food , care , carpet , cat , cat food , changed , clean , crazy , diarrhea , diet , eating , eye , eyes , fever , food , found , girl , great , groom , happy , health , hey , home , house , hurt , kitty , litter , litter box , litterbox , lost , morning , moving , nausea , new cat , night , not eating , nutrition , obstruction , overweight , peeing , pet , pictures , pills , playing , problems , scared , shelter , sick , sleeping , small , stress , surgery , upset , vet , vomit , vomiting , water , worry

Sponsored Cat Links