It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-21-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

voldo37 is on a distinguished road
Default new cat not eating recommended food

I just got a 9month old Maine Coon cat and the lady I got him from told me she had been feeding him a particular brand of canned food 1/2 can in the morning and then 1/2 can at night and then also leaving down some dry food. So since I wasn't able to get these two brands of food locally I went ahead and stocked up when I picked him up. And now that I have him home he won't eat the canned food at all - just the dry food. I think he is eating enough of the dry food but should I be concerned that he wont eat the canned food?? I bought a couple of cases of this canned food so I sure would like to see him eat it - is there anything I can do to get him to eat the canned food also??

thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-21-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome. Your kitty has been through a lot, and is probably still feeling some stress of being in a new place. As long as he is eating, I wouldn't worry about the canned food just yet, he must be filling up on the kibble.

If you want him on canned food, too, you can start reintroducing it, but wait a few days. You might want to stop free feeding the kibble, and put him on a regular feeding schedule.

After a while he will come to learn that his canned is given at such and such a time, and kibble at such and such a time. Routine is very important to cats.

Scheduled feeding has several benefits. You can keep tract of how much he is eating, and it can be a special bonding time for you both.

right now though, the thing to keep in mind is that it's all new to him and he will need time to adjust.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-21-2009   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

thanks for your reply! I have had Sampson for only a week now but it seems like it has been a lot longer as we have really bonded. I have to keep reminding myself that he has only been here a week and that he is still adjusting to me and his new home.
Unread 02-21-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

That's exactly what happened to my Lady Brenda. The breeder fed all his kittens with dry food only & when Brenda came home for the first time, she wouldn't eat wet but she got used gradually to it & now she eats both of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 02-22-2009   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

danawal2 is on a distinguished road
Talking

It was just the opposite with my little Tillie. She got all dry food at the shelter, when she got home we gave her canned food and she was in Heaven! She won't hardly eat any dry food now. She has a very strong appetite though.
Unread 02-23-2009   #6 (permalink)
Top Cat

Lyka_01 is on a distinguished road

I agree with Maya...
Probably the cat is in the process of adjustment...

||

"If animals could speak the dog would be a a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
Unread 02-23-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thumbs up

Yep, that's what I think...

Unread 03-09-2009   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Caki_Nanu is on a distinguished road

I think in order for you to train your little kitten to eat wet food, is to feed a few dry foods to her/him by hand and then slowly move ur hand towards the food and show ur kitten how u drop what u have in ur hand in the feeding tray...
Another option is to mix a little of the wet and the dry food, make sure that the dry food is closer to the top so that when ur kitten takes the first bite it will be assured that its the food it likes, and then as it continues eating he'll get used to the taste of the wet food as well.
And lastly, what I DO when my kitten doesnt want to eat, is have a few (whiskas, Temptation) treats in my hand; have her eat one at a time and i drop the rest i have in my hand in the feeder, my kitten loves temptaions treats...it comes in different flavors she seems to love anything that has tuna or any other kind of fish, the chicken flavor not so much but it works miracles!!
Either way good luck!

A cat can purr its way out of anything.- Donna McCrohan

The smallest feline is a masterpiece. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Unread 03-09-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caki_Nanu View Post
I think in order for you to train your little kitten to eat wet food, is to feed a few dry foods to her/him by hand and then slowly move ur hand towards the food and show ur kitten how u drop what u have in ur hand in the feeding tray...
Another option is to mix a little of the wet and the dry food, make sure that the dry food is closer to the top so that when ur kitten takes the first bite it will be assured that its the food it likes, and then as it continues eating he'll get used to the taste of the wet food as well.
And lastly, what I DO when my kitten doesnt want to eat, is have a few (whiskas, Temptation) treats in my hand; have her eat one at a time and i drop the rest i have in my hand in the feeder, my kitten loves temptaions treats...it comes in different flavors she seems to love anything that has tuna or any other kind of fish, the chicken flavor not so much but it works miracles!!
Either way good luck!
Oh yes, I gree with you: he can mix the wet & dry foods, it will work.
Also the treats will make the difference.

Unread 03-12-2009   #10 (permalink)
Newborn

if I have opened up a can of food and put the rest of it in the refrigerator do I need to warm it up before putting it down?? Can I nuke it for a few seconds??

Tags
art , bite , breeder , canned food , cat , cats , cold , diet , dry , dry food , eating , fish , food , free , hey , home , kitten , kittens , kitty , love , maine coon , maine coon cat , morning , new cat , new home , night , not eating , shelter , small , stop , stress , test , water , wet food , won't eat , worry

Sponsored Cat Links