It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-21-2009   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Caki_Nanu is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Scared!

I just had my 3 month old kitten spayed an hour ago..when i brought her home she removed her E-collar, i placed it back on and she did back flips and removed it again!!
the more I try to put it back on the more i aggravate her and im scared she might hurt herself removing it!
Ive heard BITTER APPLE SPRAY on the wound that can be bought at a pet store will do the trick without the E-collar!! Is this a bad idea?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-21-2009   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cheeky
Max24 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Forgive me for not being an E-Collar expert here, but in all my years of my cats being spayed, never have they been sent home with an E collar. I had a cat with amputation surgery, and still, no E collar.

I think if you keep her quiet (which is much easier said than done, I know), keep an eye on the incision for redness or irritation, you should be okay. To put your mind at ease, call your Vet as soon as you can and tell them what is going on.

I have never heard of the bitter apple spray, but common sense would dictate that it may sting when applied to a fresh incision.

As I said, just keep a close eye on her until you can consult with your Vet.

Good luck. post back please and let us know how she is.

And the Bridge Kids...♥♥♥Abbey, TC, Burger, Bella, Cali, Sarah, Hannah, DynahKathryn, Baybee and Puppy♥♥♥
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-21-2009   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Max thank you for such a fast reply, i spoke to the vet and she said that i should keep an eye on her the entire day and night, make sure she doesnt lick the spot, as for the E-collar she said to not force my kitten until the anesthesia wears off, and then try once again..in the meantime she said to get a clean cotton "baby" shirt or anything small and tie it gently enough so that the wound may 'breathe' and firmly at the same time so that it doesnt move or slip as she walks or moves.
It hasnt been an easy task because i dont have any baby clothes but i did use a clean cotton shirt and ripped it to a small size and tried to tie it around but it falls off..
ill try again once she becomes a little more sleepy!
As for the Bitter Apple spray she told me not to use it within the first 3-4 days because its a fresh wound and it might encourage the wound to over dry and irritate her more, it might also sting her (the way alcohol might sting us)
So thats a no go, i would never want her to be in pain...I'll just keep an eye out and encourage her not to lick her wounds!
Thank you once again for your fast response...wish me luck
Unread 02-21-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I'm with Max, I' ve never used an e collar with a spay. You're kitten should be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 02-21-2009   #5 (permalink)
Top Cat

I'm so glad you had a chance to talk to the Vet. Don't be scared anymore, you'll (both) be fine.

Keep us posted and let us know how she's feeling tomorrow.

Btw, what's her name?

Best wishes for a speedy recovery kitty!

And the Bridge Kids...♥♥♥Abbey, TC, Burger, Bella, Cali, Sarah, Hannah, DynahKathryn, Baybee and Puppy♥♥♥
Unread 02-21-2009   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

I will definitely keep you posted, Her name is Nanu; which in Egyptian means Beautiful
She's sleeping now, she ate before which is good, still didnt use the litterbox but from what im reading thats common
Thank you once again
Unread 02-22-2009   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

UPDATE:
Nanu is doing better, and she went to use the litter box last night for the first time that day around midnight, and she went this morning as well. (yayyy )
Her wound looks good, she does lick it a little bit but shes not harming herself and i have my eye on her constantly so that she doesnt re-open it..
shes extremely active now, she loves to jump a lot, and im trying to play with her gently to minimize her jumping movements!
But all in all i hope it continues this way, because im happy with her progress!

A cat can purr its way out of anything.- Donna McCrohan
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The smallest feline is a masterpiece. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Unread 02-22-2009   #8 (permalink)
Top Cat

Great news! Give Nanu a pet from me and tell her Auntie Max sez to calm down and quit jumping around (yeah, right).

It shouldn't hurt her much if she licks it. Are the stitches external? If she tugs, discourage that behavior.

Best to you both...

Unread 02-22-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Oh yay, thanks for the update! If you see a little redness, that's normal, if she fusses at it too much you can put a little neosporin with pain relief on it. This deadens sensation in the area, if she doesn't feel it, she'll be more likely to leave it alone.

My vet has approved the use of neosporin with pain relief on my cats, but of course always check with your own vet before following advice on the internet.

please read this first
Unread 02-23-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Mine also never used the E-collar because my vet is a genious: he makes
internal stitches only

I'm glad Nanu is feeling better!

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)

Tags
advice , animal , attack , baby , beautiful , behavior , belly , box , calm , canned food , cats , clean , collar , diet , dog , dry , dry food , e-colllar , eye , eyes , fast , food , found , fur , great , healthy , hey , home , hurt , internet , jumping , kitten , kitty , litter box , litterbox , meow , morning , nice , night , pet , play , scared , sleeping , small , spay , spay/neuter , spayed , stitches , surgery , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links