It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-23-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

RaullyRal is on a distinguished road
Question Brushing and Nail Clipping

I'm a new cat owner. I'm still new to being a cat owner. Anyone have good tips for doing teeth brushing and how often. I have the pedi paws finger brush.

Also anyone have a really good method for nail clipping. One of my challenges is my cat doesn't like to stay still in my lap too much. He's more of a sit next to you close rather then in your lap. Should I just muscle him in and do the job or what do you think?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-23-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Respect his wish to not be held, but do pick him up and put him on your lap once a day, just for a minute or two so he gets used to it, and can see that nothing bad is going to happen when you hold him.

The first thing to do is to get him used to being handled. Once or twice a day sit next to him and gently rub your finger against the side of his mouth, lifting the lip and making contact with the teeth

One he's used to that, start using the brush the same way. If you just kind of incorporate it into a lovey session, he will get used to it in a gradual way and not feel threatened.

Same concept with nail trims. Start by just getting him used to having his paws handled. hold a paw between thumb and fingers and gently press to extend the claws. Give a treat every time he allows you to do this. Do it every day, and gradually make a routine out of it. At a certain time each day he has to allow you to hold him for a second and either have his face/teeth rubbed, or paws touched. give a treat after.

I trim my cat's nails too, but there was one who hated her paws touched (still does) I started with her this way, Paw Work, daily. She hated it, but got used to it. In the mean time I had to take her to the groomer every six weeks for nail trims, her claws grow so fast and are lethal weapons.

There was only one person in Mazy's world she allowed to trim her claws, that was the groomer assistant. This past summer I felt we were getting to the point where she might let me do it at home. At first, I could only get one claw at a time, but it was a start.

clip one nail, give a treat, released her. do the next, the next day, and so on.

Now, with much patience and repetition she allows me to trim the nails on both front paws, in ONE session! It is a great accomplishment for her and I.

Oh, and it only took 3 1/2 years to get her to this point!

I drape her over my arm, then put a dot of mayonnaise on her mouth., She can't bite me while she's busy licking mayo, and I can get several claws done with each little blob of mayo.

Mayonnaise is the special treat I use ONLY for nail trims!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-23-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi & welcome to the club!

I have nothing to add, only... good luck!
Ah yes, almost forget: pls upload pics of your kit; we all want to see him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 02-23-2009   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

RaullyRal is on a distinguished road
Wink

Here's the little guy...well he's actually getting bigger...
Unread 02-23-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

ooooooh, gorgeous boy!

please read this first
Unread 02-23-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Oh, what a sweet & handsome boy, concats! He's quite similar to my Dino:

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)

Tags
art , bite , boy , cat , cat's , cats , claws , clipping , fast , great , home , licking , love , nails , new cat , person , picture , pictures , tips , upload

Sponsored Cat Links