It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-27-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

voldo37 is on a distinguished road
Default scratching around food bowl

when I picked up my kitten a couple of weeks ago I was told that he was eating both canned food and dry food. I have not been able to get him to eat much of the canned food and when I do put it down after he licks it for a few minutes he starts scratching around the bowl like he is in his litter box. He is eating the dry food just fine so I am not worried about him not getting enough to eat but what does it mean when he does that?? Is he trying to tell me that he hates this canned food and thinks it is poop??
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-28-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Haha, I haven't thought of it quite that way before, but you've got the right idea. He wants to bury it because it offends him.

Other cats, especially rescued strays, try to bury their dishes after eating. I have one, Jennie, who lived on her own a long time and raised at least one family on her own. Even now after almost 2 years here she is appalled by the lackadaisical attitude of the other cats and runs around trying to bury everyone's dishes after meal time.

Some cats scratch around the bowl before eating or drinking.

All of these are "normal" cat behaviors.

Burying is instinctual behavior, because cats do not want to leave the smell of their food around to attract other predators. The instinct is not developed in all cats.

Welcome to the forum, can't wait to hear more about your kitten.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-28-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Red face

Ah yes, I saw Merlin did it sometimes...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 02-28-2009   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cheeky
Max24 is on a distinguished road

Hi and welcome,

Baybee cat always 'buries' her dish (and everyone else's) after she is done cleaning up the scraps. Each dish has it's own cloth placemat, and she will redecorate once the bowls are empty. Usually I find the mat tucked neatly into the dish.

I never thought this odd. Actually, I am owned by 5 cats, and their little quirks never cease to amaze me.

And the Bridge Kids...♥♥♥Abbey, TC, Burger, Bella, Cali, Sarah, Hannah, DynahKathryn, Baybee and Puppy♥♥♥
Unread 03-01-2009   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

michelle_my_bell is on a distinguished road

Michelle do it sometime with water. For me it's a sign that water needs to be changed. Best regards for your new kitty and best of luck for you both.
Unread 03-02-2009   #6 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldo37 View Post
when I picked up my kitten a couple of weeks ago I was told that he was eating both canned food and dry food. I have not been able to get him to eat much of the canned food and when I do put it down after he licks it for a few minutes he starts scratching around the bowl like he is in his litter box. He is eating the dry food just fine so I am not worried about him not getting enough to eat but what does it mean when he does that?? Is he trying to tell me that he hates this canned food and thinks it is poop??
Hi I'm Cheryl,welcome.This made me laugh,my Floyd always used to do it,and I thought exactly like you...Floyd thought it was poop.LOL.xxxxx
Unread 03-03-2009   #7 (permalink)
DWMeowMix

Woody does this. I read somewhere that they do this if their not very hungry and try to "bury" it to save it for later.

DWMeowMix

Tags
box , canned food , cat , cats , changed , cleaning , dry , dry food , eating , family , food , hey , kitten , kitty , litter , litter box , poop , save , scratch , scratching , smell , strays , water

Sponsored Cat Links