It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-08-2009   #1 (permalink)
Dannielle

Question She looks a little skinny?

I am pretty new to life with a cat. We adopted a cblue mitted ragdoll at christmas and have fallen in love with her. When she came to live with us she had had her last litter 4 months earlier and still appeared very skinny. I was fine with this BUT i feel she is still too skinny ( we have had her spayed ) She was eating Iams dry food and appareantly this contains all the goodness she needs. But i want to fatten her up alittle , and i am currently adding some wet food as well. She would roughly weigh around 2.5kg and she is 4yrs old.

Any advice on how to "plump" her up , to a decent weight? Any advice is wanted.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-09-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum, and to the joys of living with a cat!

What's her name?

What does your vet think about her weight? You might want to have her tested for diabetes. And parasites. (bring in a stool sample) An all around check up is a good idea, and if the vet thinks it necessary, get blood work, and urine sample.

Being in the USA still using pounds and ounces can you translate 2.4 kg please.

If a check up shows all normal I have other suggestions:

Are you free feeding? If so I recommend, in addition to adding the canned food portions daily, (good idea) you go to scheduled feeding times.

Premeasure, or keep track of her daily quota, so you know how much she is eating to maintain her current weight, then try to slip in a little more, accordingly.

Some cats, if they don't have a big appetite, can become desensitized to the smell of their food, if it is left out all the time. Scheduled feedings will help increase the appetite.

Also, give a whiff of the food (esp the canned) just prior to serving, to get the appetite stimulated even more.

Be sure she gets plenty of exercise with interactive play. This will help you bond with her, and help her appetite.

Be sure dishes are clean. scrub them in very hot water (no soap) and air dry between servings. Even dry food leaves a residue that becomes rancid and grow bacteria, not to mention all the saliva build up on the dish.

Use glass or stainless steel dishes.

Please do let us know how she does.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-09-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Default she sounds lovely

..oh, and by the way, some people here may demand pictures!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 03-09-2009   #4 (permalink)
Dannielle

Thank you acerlt for your warm welcome. Her name is Angel and she is just beautiful ( to us anyway). When we got her spayed the vet said she was healthy and everything was fine maybe a bit on the lean side but ok. I do roughly weigh her dry food at 75grams and then she eats a 85grams of wet food but i'm sure she would eat more of the wet food if possible but i'm not real sure if her body like too much of it as her stools are a little smelly compared to if she just eats the dry. I clean her bowls daily and pour boiling water over them and yes i do air dry like i do with our dogs. I do leave dry food out all the time along with fresh water. I guess it is different territory for us.

We just weighed her again and she is 2.9kg which converted is 6.39pounds. I read that they should be between 15 to 20 pounds , she is no where near that. Are they just like humans ... some are lean while others are larger"??? Now i will try to put a pic up , just learning my way around this forum so here it goes. By the way i'm not great behind the camera.

Last edited by Dannielle; 03-09-2009 at 04:39 AM.

Unread 03-09-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi Danielle & Angel, welcome!

I think you're correct, 2.5Kg for a 4 year old Ragdoll is not much.
I would take Angel to the vet again if I were you...

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 03-14-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Default Skinny ?

Hi Danielle, Hi Angel !
I had similar problem with Princess Tiger when I got her spayed 8 months ago (she is now 1.4 years old), the vet said she was only 2.5 kg, but healthy, so I tried hard to puff her up, but gained only 100 gr ! Finally the vet said it was fine maybe she's just a bit on the lean side (just like human). Now she is around 3 kg and has maintained that standard since her first birthday, yes, she's a November girl. Angel, we wish you a healthy, peaceful, colorful and abundant life !
Me, Princess Tiger, Lady Fergie and Earl Blue
Unread 03-16-2009   #7 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Hi Danielle an Angel,she is beautiful,no wonder you have fallen in love,like everyone says,best to go to the vet.My girl Marley is a dainty girl,but she is good,and weighs in at 8lb.xxxxx
Unread 03-19-2009   #8 (permalink)
aine1810

Like humans all cats are different, in your circumstance i would go to the vet telling him what you are worried about, he will know better and he will put your mind to ease. Be sure she is eating, playing and once you get to know her better, you will know if she is ok or not. No one more than the owner knows their pets i learned that by time and it is true.

Tags
addition , adopted , advice , beautiful , birthday , camera , canned food , cat , cats , christmas , clean , diabetes , dogs , dry , dry food , eating , food , free , girl , great , healthy , hey , litter , love , pictures , play , playing , problem , ragdoll , smell , spayed , suggestions , urine , vet , water , weight , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links