It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-10-2009   #1 (permalink)
GaryKitty

Default Can Anybody Help Me Out?

My name is Emilee and I am new to this forum. I have been struggling and struggling when it comes to my 9 month old kitten Gary. About three weeks ago he started having diarrhea some of which had a little blood in it. I waited until last week to see my vet because around this time I had switched his food and thought he was having a reaction to that. My vet was very concerned because he has pale gums and has lost some weight. We did the Feline Leukemia Test, blood test, fecal tests, and parasite tests which all came back negative. She has him on Feline ID canned food and Metronidazole. It has been a week and although he is eating better he still has the diarrhea and his gums are still very pale. I talked to my vet again and she is going to look at him again tomorrow. She said something about testing for Cat Scratch Fever. I did some research on that and it doesn’t say anything about a cat showing physical signs, especially not diarrhea. I am just very concerned and frustrated because I can’t seem to find any answers.
Since he was having accidents all over our house my husband and I set up our large dog cage that is able to hold his big litter pan, food, water, and blanket which we put him when we leave and at night when we can’t watch him. I know he doesn’t like being in there and has actually has started pooping outside his box. I don’t know if this whole thing could be some kind of behavior problem??? Like some sort of feline separation anxiety. I have done some research on that and I do know it exists but he really doesn’t know any signs of it. He is very much my cat, he follows me EVERYWHERE.
I just didn’t know if anybody has experienced anything like this. I am in close talk with my vet and she seems confused and wants to try different tests. I don’t have all the money in the world and I am trying my best to get him treated and try new things that she suggests but I don’t want it all to be for nothing.
Thanks for reading and please if you have any advise I would love to hear it.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-11-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello Emilee and welcome to you and Gary. I'm sorry he is having this problem, poor kitty.

The pooping outside of the box when Gary is crated may be behavioral, it must be very difficult for a young cat to be enclosed so much. Please understand that I am not judging you, just explaining.

Be sure to give him a lot of interactive play time when you are home. He is still growing and needs to run and jump and climb to keep his bones and muscles developing properly.

It may also be because he is uncomfortable when pooping and blames the box for it.

He could have IBD, and you just need to give the metro and new diet time to work. In addition to the i/d there are special diets for cats with food allergies.

I'm concerned about the pale gums though as that indicates anemia. Is there any chance he could have gotten into something, eaten a plant, ingested some kind of toxic substance?

Did you vet do blood work to check organ function?

please keep us updated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-11-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Hi Emilee, welcome!

In the meantime, to stop Gary's runs you can boil rice & give him its cold liquid with a syringe. This will help him.

Good luck,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 03-12-2009   #4 (permalink)
GaryKitty

Our Vet looked at Gary again yesterday and she decided to put him on the Metro for another 5 days along with Panacur Liquid which is a De-Wormer to help flush everything out of his body. He is also still on the ID food.

I know Gary may be upset for having to spend the night in the dog cage and for a few hours when I leave for the day but he doesn't only poop outside the pan when he is in there. It is when he is down in our kitchen on the rugs. It just gets so frustrating. I began keeping an eagle eye watch on him and anytime he would head over there I would take him to his pan. This worked for a while then lastnight he went on the rug again when I was standing right there getting his meds ready. I make sure both of his pans are clean constantly because I know some cats can be very picky about that. I also make sure to fully clean and deodorize the spots he does go in.

If this is behavioral what kinds of things can I try? This is difficult for me because I am a dog trainer and this is the first cat I have owned in my adulthood. I had cats growing up but Gary is my first I am fully responsible for. I guess I am just hoping that these meds will help him get rid of whatever virus he has and hopefully all of the pooping outside the box will correct itself once he is feeling better.

Thank you guys for your inputs, possibly I will try the rice thing too.
I will keep you posted on how he is doing.

Unread 03-12-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

The rice is great. I give to mine when they have runs...

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 03-13-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Busy
mj29 is on a distinguished road

Hello Emilee and Gary....... Nice to have you on the forum but I'm sorry your having issues right now. Hopefully with what is being done for him will stop the problems and he is himself again. Please keep us updated.

M.J. Zipper Darby and Liam
A Cat's eyes are windows enabling us to see into another world. Irish legend

A cat has absolute emotional honesty. Human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not. Ernest Hemingway

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

R.I.P. sisters Sasha and Jasmine, Lucky, Mr.Sim, my sweet boy Oscar!
Unread 03-13-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Emilee I am inclined to thinking Gary's pooping in the kitchen is not behavioral, but because he blames the litter box for his discomfort. I do hope the extended meds will do the trick for him, poor little guy.

please read this first
Unread 03-22-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Welcome Emilee & Gary

I agree with Acer, my instinct is telling me that it is not behavioral problem. Hope you will find the answers ASAP, or the meds will work perfectly. You are a purrfect and responsible mom !
Unread 03-22-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thanks for bumping this thread back up Irene.

Emilee, how is little Gary doing now?

Tags
addition , allergies , anxiety , behavior , box , canned food , cat , cats , clean , cold , diarrhea , diet , dog , eating , eye , fever , food , great , hey , home , house , ibd , kitten , kitty , litter , litter box , lost , love , money , new to this , nice , night , play , poop , problem , problems , scratch , separation , stop , test , upset , vet , water , weight

Sponsored Cat Links