It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-21-2009   #1 (permalink)
niceefrasqui

Default Broken Bone :(

We came home this evening to our cat limping really bad. I took him into the emergency animal clinic and paid almost $300 to get xrays and pains meds. Turns out the poor guy has a severely broken bone (it pretty much snapped at the elbow). We think he jumped from the 2nd level of the house and landed wrong as there's really no other explanation. Anyway, they said the surgery to fix the broken bone typically runs $1500 to $2000 because she said he would need a plate (I have the xrays if anybody wants to see) and the vet said the next best thing is to amputate and that will still be half the cost and is certainly a drastic alternative. It was difficult to front the $300 dollars and there's no way I can afford much more and I have no idea what to do at this point. I've been on google for the last hour trying to find some sort of local program that helps with situations such as these and have had no luck. I'm in Knoxville TN so if you know of a place to look for financial help for animal care I would really appreciate it. I already tried CreditCare and they declined me because I have insufficient credit history (I just got my first CC last month). Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas. Thanks!!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-21-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Oh no !

Poor pussy, don't let anyone amputate his leg ! I hope, raising fund will be another alternative. Rush to those friends/family members, ... who really care about your cat. This will work here in my country, and my friends and I also donate as much as my purse allows me to. Keep us posted !
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-21-2009   #3 (permalink)
niceefrasqui

Default Update

I've been calling a bunch of vets this morning to get second opinions and 4 out of 4 so far are recommending amputation as the first consideration (note that they gave their disclaimer about how we shouldn't make any final decisions without bringing in the cat first for an evaluation and letting them see the x-rays). None-the-less they said because our cat has his paw curled up that means there's probably nerve damage and that can't be repaired in the surgery (and often leads to addition infections from dragging the paw on the ground) and also many times it still doesn't heal right and leads to severe arthritis. Apparently cats adapt very well 3 legs so we're leaning towards the amputation but still need to find out what we can sale to get the money. I'm off to craigslist....

Unread 03-21-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Smile If that's the case

Since no vet can repair this, maybe it's not the money issue we need to consider, but to prevent further (more serious) damage what really matters. More fortunate than human, cats have 4 legs, meaning, if one taken, they still keep three-fourths of the legs, and still can balance on the other 3 legs. If that happens on human, he/she can only hop on one leg ! I used to look at the positive side of all life issues. Do you know any christian friend who goes to church ? They usually have more resources or aids, it's not necessarily receiving donation, but like in my church, there are christian vets, docs, & other professionals who can help with whatever way they can, and absolutely inxepensive. This is how those in needs survive. Keep us posted.
Unread 03-21-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Question X-ray

Let them see the X-ray is vital now before making any decision. Or you can scan the x-ray and post it here, maybe someone on this site would be able to give you better/useful opinion ?
Unread 03-21-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Poor kittie, try to save his leg!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 03-21-2009   #7 (permalink)
Harlan

My God be with you, your family, and your poor suffering cat.

Unread 03-21-2009   #8 (permalink)
niceefrasqui

Default X-Rays

I managed to sell my T.V. today which gave us some money to help. Here's the x-rays if anybody is interested. I couldn't tell what was wrong until the Vet showed me but if you know what you're looking for it's a pretty bad break.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xray1.JPG (8.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg xray2.JPG (10.5 KB, 8 views)

Unread 03-21-2009   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Chatty
zhazie meow is on a distinguished road
Wink

we can all see how much you love your cat have you concidered creating a facebook group to get the word out there its a great way to find the kind souls out there willing to help.

the are pro's and cons to both sides but personaly i would amputate i know it seems harsh but it would make it so its just one operation and cats being the fantastic creatures they are adapt quickly to new things ,all amuptee's ive seen have gone on to live happy healthy lives.

plateing the leg would mean if the nerves are damaged the foot may become more of a cumbersome object to the cat,like allways having a dead leg.which can become cut,grazed and then infected causeing the poor guy more discomfort.unless he masters having it

but also you have to think of the cost as well unless u can get some donations towards the bill, try facebook u may be surprized who is willing to help.

my heart goes out to u and ur kitty its a truely hard desision to make,but the people on here are great for helping we one big team of meowzers!

<--my tribute to my kittys! proud momma to Mizu,pandora,jazzmine,suki,stich and elliot

one day cats will rule the world...its best to get in their good books now!

Rainbowbridge: teska And lennon , miss you everyday bubba's xx
Unread 03-21-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Smile Good morning

When I woke up this morning, I couldn't wait any longer but to rush to my computer to check if there's any updated news abt your kitty's situation. I know it's tough, but you are a purrfect mom, the bond between you and your kitty must be very strong, this makes you willing to try your very best to save kitty's leg, but I was also glad to find out that more people are concerned about your kitty too ! I hope you can find the best solution. I was so touched to know that you sold your TV set, I would do the same if I had to, as my kittys are far more valuable than my other valuables in my life, they are just priceless. And I think I'm getting a clearer picture now, and believe what Zhazie meow stated is correct, amputees still can master having 3 legs and continue to live a happy and healthy life. I hope still more are coming in to see the x-ray you attached.
PS : You said you just got your first CC, how old are you ? Are you currently with a job ? Sincerely, gettng a job is the most vital thing after saving your kitty's leg.

Irene, the proud meowmy of Princess Tiger, Lady Fergie and Earl Blue

Tags
addition , animal , art , baby , boy , care , cat , cats , computer , cool , cut , facebook , family , fighting , friends , great , healthy , hey , home , house , kitty , lucky , mat , medical , meow , missing , money , morning , nice , opinion , paw , picture , pictures , play , playing , sad , sale , save , scratch , social , suggestions , surgery , thoughts , tips , vet , worry

Sponsored Cat Links