It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-22-2009   #1 (permalink)
Mountainkitties

Question Help! Cat with bad poo!!

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I wanted to join especially to ask a question about my eight-year-old cat (probably a Maine Coon cross.)

Just recently she's been having very bad poop. She's been steadily eating "Friskies" wet cat food mixed in with the same brand of dry for breakfast and dinner, for over a year now.
But now she's having big, gross poop covered in what seems to be something like mucous. She won't bury it, and it smells awful. She's an inside cat, and only goes out occasionally in the warmer weather.

She has no other symptoms, and seems to be getting along well enough aside from this.

We're planning to take her to the vet this week, but could you give me some pointers on what this could be?

Thanks and God bless,
Mountainkitties

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-22-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Smile Smelly bad poo

Hi, Mountainkitties, welcome !
We discuss quite a lot about cat food, dry and wet on this forum. Mine are also indoor cats. I'd like to attach this website introduced by one of our online friends who is always informative and helpful, hopefully you can find some useful input about brands, reputation, etc. (see below). Personally, I don't recommend Friskies. Please keep us posted after visiting the vet. God bless you and your kitty too...

Search for Pet Food Recalls

Irene, the proud meowmy to Princess Tiger, Lady Fergie and Earl Blue
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-22-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainkitties View Post
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I wanted to join especially to ask a question about my eight-year-old cat (probably a Maine Coon cross.)

Just recently she's been having very bad poop. She's been steadily eating "Friskies" wet cat food mixed in with the same brand of dry for breakfast and dinner, for over a year now.
But now she's having big, gross poop covered in what seems to be something like mucous. She won't bury it, and it smells awful. She's an inside cat, and only goes out occasionally in the warmer weather.

She has no other symptoms, and seems to be getting along well enough aside from this.

We're planning to take her to the vet this week, but could you give me some pointers on what this could be?

Thanks and God bless,
Mountainkitties
Hi & welcome!

I must say that don't have any idea about this mucous, never saw anything like this. Hope it's nothing.
Pls keep us posted & try to upload pix of your kit. What's her name?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 03-22-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I'm glad you are taking your kitty to the vet.

Bring a fresh sample of the poop with you so the vet can examine it for parasites and blood.

How long has she been having the gross poop?

I know you said she is mainly indoor, but that she sometimes goes out in nice weather. Has she been outside at all recently? It may be she has picked up a parasite out there, if she has been out. Or eaten something toxic.

Is it possible she has gotten into anything toxic in the house, or outside?

There are also illnesses that could cause changes in bowel habits, such as kidney disease to name one, so it is a good thing you are taking her to the vet.

Your vet should do a complete blood work up (usually sent out to a lab) to check organ function, blood calcium, and thyroid levels. And as I already said, they will put the poop under a microscope to check for parasites and blood.

Please do come back and let us know how she is doing.
Unread 03-22-2009   #5 (permalink)
Mountainkitties

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies!

To answer some questions:

She [her name is Noelle, by the way!] has been having this really gross poop for maybe two weeks.

Just recently she made a little dart out onto the backyard porch, but only for a couple seconds, as something scared her and she ran right back in.

It's possible that she's gotten into something in the house... she's tried to eat the strings from balloons and pine needles before, which resulted in her throwing up in the hallway...

Also, previous to this, she's been known to have diarrhea.

Confusingly enough, we have another kitty who is about four years younger than this one. She's eaten the same food for the same length of time, and has completely normal poop (admittedly a little small, as she doesn't eat as much as the older one).
In other words, it's confusing about the food, since the "little one" is doing absolutely fine, but Noelle is having bad poop. I'm guessing due to this that Noelle has some sort of an infection, as opposed to this being food-related...

Thanks for your input!

Here's a picture of the two kitties, respectively, Gracie and Noelle.

Last edited by Mountainkitties; 03-22-2009 at 06:08 PM.

Unread 03-22-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

What a great picture of the two of them! Next to each other like that, each makes the other look even larger/smaller!

The fact that Gracie is having no trouble rules out the food as the culprit, at least as far as contamination.

Since Noelle is known to eat strange things, that could be the problem. However, it could also be she is developing a heath issue.

Please do come back and let us know what you find out at the vet. I'm very fond of Gracie and Noelle already!
Unread 03-22-2009   #7 (permalink)
Mountainkitties

Thank you! We got Gracie from the local Humane Society at about seven months old, and she's never really grown! She even mews and plays like a kitten!

I'm eager to hear what the vet says about Noelle. It seems odd to me that there are no other symptoms, but I've heard many times that cats are experts at concealing any pain or discomfort that they have.

I briefly looked up kidney disease in cats, and fortunately, Noelle doesn't seem to fit the criteria too much, especially because she drinks and pees normally.

One odd thing is that Gracie has recently been mewing in the litterbox... not yowling as if in pain, just mewing, so she might just be letting us know where she is. She's sort of a strange little kitty! Otherwise there's nothing strange going on with her, and her poop appears small and almost deerlike.

Last edited by Mountainkitties; 03-22-2009 at 06:34 PM.

Unread 03-22-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainkitties View Post
Thank you! We got Gracie from the local Humane Society at about seven months old, and she's never really grown! She even mews and plays like a kitten!

I'm eager to hear what the vet says about Noelle. It seems odd to me that there are no other symptoms, but I've heard many times that cats are experts at concealing any pain or discomfort that they have.

I briefly looked up kidney disease in cats, and fortunately, Noelle doesn't seem to fit the criteria too much, especially because she drinks and pees normally.

One odd thing is that Gracie has recently been mewing in the litterbox... not yowling as if in pain, just mewing, so she might just be letting us know where she is. She's sort of a strange little kitty! Otherwise there's nothing strange going on with her, and her poop appears small and almost deerlike.
It is true, that cats are Masters at hiding illness. I'll be watching for news on Noelle.
Unread 03-22-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Smile Noelle & Gracie

Hi, Mountainkitties, good morning ! I read through the new posts with the replies concerning this issue, as I missed the rest of them, due to sleepy urge last nite that I couldn't resist. hehe.. Gracie is just so dainty .. I love dainty kitties, myself.

So far I am pretty much convinced that Noelle's problem was primarily caused by eating-strange-thing habit, maybe something nasty or toxic had found its way into his stomach ! This had been my vet's primary concern too, as she would always remind me to clear up the environment from every single hazardous item that our kitties might swallow. It could be Noelle had managed to keep something nasty in his stomach for sometimes without puking, and this developed infection ? However, the history of his stomach condition isn't too good, and as you said, cats are good in dealing with pain, this even makes things worse !

From now on, the least you can do will be keeping an eagle eye on his daily activity, and on what he eats, what he plays with. Let's see what you can get from the poop test, will there be parasites, or something else, hope none is too serious. All the best !

PS : I'm glad Acer came to help with informative online diagnose .. The pet food recalls website was shared by this faithful friend ..
Unread 03-23-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Your kits are fab, concats! Pls keep us posted...

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)

Tags
advice , age , allergy , art , bowel , buying a kitten , care , cat , cat food , cats , constipation , cute , diarrhea , diet , dry , eating , environment , eye , fiber , food , friends , great , hey , hiding , house , infection , informative , kitten , kitties , kitty , litter , litterbox , maine coon , pet food , picture , poo , poop , problem , problems , question , recalls , save , scared , search , small , stop , surgery , upload , vet , yowling

Sponsored Cat Links