It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-25-2009   #1 (permalink)
niceefrasqui

Question How Did It Happen!!!

Well I have another post about my kitty that now has 3 legs. Now that everything is said and done I have realized I had no idea how he broke his leg in the first place. I'm curious what theories you guys might have as to how a kitty could break his leg. Here's some facts:

-The break was on the cats "elbow"
- There was no other visible damage besides minor bruising on his gums (e.g. no tire marks, no bite marks from another animal, etc.)
- He's an inside cat but got outside for a few hours when a friend came by to use our computer during the day (he said he didn't "notice" a broken a leg but it's quite possible it could have happened outside)

We have an upstairs in the house and I thought it's possible he fell off the upstairs railing? Although I've seen cats jump from 2 story balconies with hardly a scratch. Some of my other crazy theory is that some punk kids in the neighborhood kicked him or something. Anyway, I know it's impossible to guess but I was curious what theories some of you might have? I have attached the x-rays again if that helps draw any possible conclusions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xray1.JPG (8.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg xray2.JPG (10.5 KB, 0 views)

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-25-2009   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Chatty
zhazie meow is on a distinguished road

well to hazard a guess and this is from experance sadley , my girl elie has a tendancy for "mad does" going flying around the house,up and down the the stairs bathroom etc, she once was in the middle of her mad hour and was rolling but not paying attention she rolled through the banister ,luckly there was washingat the bottom becuase it was that day of the week, but if it wasnt the angle would have ment she would of hit the bottom step at an angle.

i wonder if this is a similer situation, but theres my hazard of a guess am glad ur kitty is recovering happley at home

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<--my tribute to my kittys! proud momma to Mizu,pandora,jazzmine,suki,stich and elliot
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

one day cats will rule the world...its best to get in their good books now!

Rainbowbridge: teska And lennon , miss you everyday bubba's xx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-26-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Question Just a guessing

About the jumping, most of the cats I know are playful, as zhazie call it : mad hour, and so are mine, but as long as they play "inside" the house, they are so far safe (I will still avoid high, lofty places, though they are crazy about it). So, I don't think this happened in the house.

I think it could be him being bullied when he went out to explore the world, and unfortunately he met unfriendly people, a few hours is enough to get a broken leg and bruised gums.

My conclusion and suggestion : Please don't let him go out again, keep an eye on him, protect him, if he really likes to go out.
PS.: Whenever I open the door for visitors or going out, coming ot, etc. I'll keep an eagle eye on mine, for I can't afford losing anyone of them.
Unread 03-26-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

See the below story: it can be a possibility...

My beautiful flamey baby is in the hospital tonight, waiting for orthopedic surgery tomorrow on his broken front right humerous (the bean equivalent of his right upper arm bone).

He and Dara were playing this evening up and down our back hall and bedroom. Around 7:30 pm I heard awful yowling coming from back there and found Saming with his upper arm jammed between the hinge side of the bedroom door and the door frame. He'd clearly gotten behind the door and had stuck his arm out to catch Dara. She presumably banged into the door and it trapped his arm. It was crushed so tightly between the door and door frame that I couldn't push it down and out of the vise. I finally moved the door, briefly catching his arm more tightly but then the space opened up and he ran free. But he couldn't put any weight on the leg and held his paw at a very funny angle. There was some skin torn on his inner arm. Of course all vets on Staten Island were already closed, so we called a 24 hour vet in Manhattan and drove him there. There does not appear to be any nerve damage but the Xrays showed a jagged break just above the joint, with the two pieces of bone way out of alignment with each other. The vet surmised that the break was not from the door trapping the arm but from his twisting to try to free himself--a very common type of break when cats get their limbs caught.

He's sedated and on pain meds. We decided it was far safer for him to stay at the vet's overnight where he could be kept sedated and as still as possible. The surgeon is going to speak to our regular vet tomorrow morning and then talk to us about what can be done to stablize the bone--it will definitely be a surgical procedure. The break is so near the joint that the vet we saw tonight wasn't sure plates could be used, more likely some kind of pins. She expected he would need about a month to recuperate after surgery.

We had to lock Dara in our bedroom while we were gone and, since we just got home around 12 midnight, she is beside herself at being left alone AND looking around for Saming. They've never been apart for more than a few hours for vet visits since they were left at the Roanoke VA SPCA back in September 2008.

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 03-27-2009   #5 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

che is on a distinguished road

I'm so sorry this happened to your kitty.I hope his operation wound heals quickly.Maybe it could have happened when he got out,it is possible some thug or moron could have kicked him,there are so many creeps out there that would do such a thing.Or maybe he could have landed awkward if he jumped during a mad half hour.You may never know.But at least he's safe and well now,by the way what is his name?He is very cute.Big fluffy hugs off me and my gang.I hope you get a tv soon,you are a wonderful meowmy.xxxxx
Unread 03-27-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Question

So, what can we do to avoid this horrible door-trapping and twisting to happen to our kitty ? Any tips ?
Unread 03-27-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Jims View Post
So, what can we do to avoid this horrible door-trapping and twisting to happen to our kitty ? Any tips ?
The best is to shut the doors completely or buy stoppers...
By the way, the kit of the story is much better now!

Unread 03-27-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Cool Cool, Maya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzekmaya View Post
The best is to shut the doors completely or buy stoppers...
By the way, the kit of the story is much better now!
Why are you so very smart lady ? Good to hear the kit's condition is improving.
Unread 03-27-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Oh thank you Irene!

Here's the today's update about him; there are also 3 pix, I hope you will be able to see them. Saming is the white kit:

Saming continues to improve slowly but surely. He still limps on the right leg, but it is getting a bit less each day. Early last week we decided that he was getting too agitated in his cage, with a greater risk of hurting the leg from his manic attempts to escape (including sticking the broken leg through the cage wires and attempting to snag toys, Dara, us with it) than letting him stay out. So we started letting him roam the study/computer room along with Dara, mainly under our supervision, and we started bringing him into the bedroom at night (sans cage) to sleep with us and Dara. So far, so good and he's been a snuggling, licking love-bug at night, so happy to be back "en famille." There are a few high spots in each room that we have to watch him closely when he jumps up there, trying (not always successfully) to lift him down rather than letting him jump down .

Whenever we let them out of an enclosed room, they almost immediately start racing around and wrestling with each other. So we monitor the house-wide activities carefully and put them back in the study or bedroom when the running, jumping, tumbling and rough housing starts.

The big step (which I hope we won't regret later) was letting them stay together in the study, with Saming not in the cage, when we're not at home to monitor. They are both much less crazed when we get home, with this arrangement, but each night I enter the house hoping, hoping, hoping that nothing bad transpired with the leg in our absence. The amount of time that both of us weren't at home wasn't too long--a few hours at a time--until DH went out of town last Saturday 3/21 and it was just me and the kitties. So far, we've all survived my being out of the house for up to 8-9 hours for work, without any mishaps.

Only 2 1/2 weeks to go and we can take him in for the X-ray and hope, hope, hope that it has healed correctly and that nothing we did during this 8 week period caused it to heal badly.

After driving DH to Newark airport on Saturday 3/21, my mission was to go to Petsmart and buy a huge bag of dry Science Diet--they were down to a few kibbles in their bowls by then. I also had to find a replacement "fetch" toy for Dara, since the little fragile plastic lattice work ball that she'd been fetching like mad for weeks was finally crushed under DH's big foot a few nights before and poor Dara was trying to play fetch with the pitiful remnants of less than 1/8th of a ball . I found several appropriate light-weight balls for her and a huge 17.5 lb bag of food. As I stood in the checkout line, my eye was caught by a display of cat-grass-in-a-pot next to the checkout line (just as the evil marketing geniuses planned). Both these guys are uncontrollable plant eaters and now get on the counter at dinner time and steal lettuce out of the salad bowl :crazycat:. So I bought and brought home the cat grass.

Saming and Dara inspect the invading species which has mysteriously appeared in the center of their floor, not hung out of reach from the ceiling like all the other plants in the house. They were a bit . Note Saming's right paw, not bearing his weight and held at that funny angle, bent at the "wrist."

They quickly got over their confusion and started noshing like crazy. Saming is trying to use his right paw to "control" the grass for a good solid bite:

Saming wonders why Dara has deserted this fabulous new treat in order to eat some boring old dry food. Note the grass pieces strewn on the floor around the pot:

Unread 03-27-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Smile Inspiring input Maya !

Thanks for the update on Samming's recent condition, Maya. Hope Nice will feel much better to read this inspiring story of him too, so she can also have an improved her cat's activity, with 3 strong legs, I really want to wish her cat the best recovery !

What a coincidence to know that both Samming and Dara are also mad plant eaters, just like my Princess Tiger and Lady Fergie. My Lady's favorite green food is probably lettuce too, for she will always try to steal it from my salad bowl too

Tags
animal , baby , bite , cat , catching , cats , computer , crazy , cute , diet , dry , dry food , eye , facts , food , found , friendly , fun , funny , girl , happy , hey , home , house , jumping , kitties , kitty , licking , love , morning , night , paw , petsmart , play , playing , scratch , sleep , smart , story , surgery , tips , toys , type , weight

Sponsored Cat Links