It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-24-2009   #1 (permalink)
Jooli

Unhappy 8 month old Ragdoll kitten won't eat kitten food

I have 2 Ragdolls, a 3 yr. old female and an 8 month male.
I have a BIG problem 3yr old is eating the kitten food and 8 month old has begun to refuse his soft food also his dry, and will only eat the adult food.
I wouldn't worry only kitten is very small, my vet said he is on the lower end of normal and I'm worried that he is not getting the right nourishment.
3yr old female is putting on weight and kitten is not growing like he should be.
Has anyone any advise they could give me??

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-24-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hello, welcome ! Did it just happen ? If yes, maybe he isn't feeling well, he needs health exam. If that has been a long term problem, then, maybe he's like my Princess, she's a very picky kitty. In order to stimulate her appetite, I try many kinds of food & brands...give her what she likes. She's adult now (17 months), but is around 3 kg, so, how much does your kitty weigh ?
My 10 months old Earl Blue is almost 5 kg, he doesn't like kitten food very much, so the vet said it's okay to give him the same adult food, mixed with some kitten food, and I need to give him extra nutrition from dried fish, fresh fish fillet and vitamins, he's been eating like this since he's 4 months old. All my three eat some wet food once a day, as variety, kitty too likes verieties, this is good for stimulating their appetite.
As for your 3 years old adult, I think she needs special diet food (low fat prescribed) and some exercise... I used laser pointer, feather and played chasing game with my kitties, especially Earl Blue, this works on him...
BTW, What is your name ? What are your kitties' names ? Any pictures ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-24-2009   #3 (permalink)
Jooli

Lightbulb 8 Month old Kitten won't eat Kitten food.

Hello Irene ( & Gang) Thanks for your quick reply and your advice.
I'm Jooli owned by Mischa 8 months and Angel 3 yrs who are king and queen of our home!
Mischa weighs just 3 kls and has regular check up with his vet.
He certainly is not ailing and is full of life and energy. He was devouring his kitten food until about 3 weeks ago but has now decided that his preference is adult food!
He adores tuna, as he managed to get a taste of some Tuna and Prawns in jelly which Angel left and since then has refused to eat anything I offer him!!!
I have spent a fortune on different brands to tempt him, but he is one determined kitten, I do not like giving him tuna as I have read that it is bad for cats.
Angel has a very small appetite so I don't feel that eating the dry kitten food will hurt her as she is just over 5 kls which I don't consider to be overweight for a 3 yr old cat.
I only give that to her for a treat occasionally and it was just by bad luck that Mischa found what she had left.
They sleep in different rooms at night so I can feed them separately, but he found what she had left one morning.
I have been leaving his food for him to "graze" on but have decided to just feed 2 or 3 times per day to see if that works.

Last edited by Jooli; 04-24-2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: I found a mistake!

Unread 04-25-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Welcome to another dainty kitty... I particularly love dainty kitties... as long as they're happy and healthy !!

From your post, I don't see any health problem, it's just his spoilt appetite (since he devoured his meal), still better than my Princess, as I have to beg her to eat and spoon fed her. I also let them eat in separate rooms. I'm not very sure if tuna is not good for cats, as lots of brands (wet/dry) use tuna as one of their main ingredients. According to my vet, it's okay for adult cat (in this case for Angel to eat kitten food), still try to convince them both to exercise at least once a day, the laser pointer idea is brilliant, it doesn't require too much running for human though.

Cats are very intelligent, the bottom line is we human have to keep up with them... try to fool them by mixing different food, and increase daily the amount of those you would like them to eat. Oh, yes, I tried tons of tricks and tips to feed Princess. BTW, my Lady also gobbles down her food very quickly, but she too is a dainty kitty, she just turned one about three weeks ago and weighs 3 kg (maybe less), but all my kitties are healthy and happy !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
adult , advice , cats , diet , dry , eating , female , food , found , game , happy , health , healthy , hey , home , hurt , kitten , kitten food , kitties , kitty , laser , love , morning , night , nutrition , overweight , pictures , problem , queen , ragdoll , sleep , small , tips , tricks , vet , weight , wet food , won't eat , worry

Sponsored Cat Links