It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-27-2009   #1 (permalink)
CiaraNorton

Unhappy Sick cat after flea and worming treatment

Hi there, I wonder if anyone has experienced anything like this with their cats. Three days ago I used a spot on flea and worm treatment on my cat (Advocate by Bayer for cats under 4kg), and since then she's been very quiet, just sitting in her basket and barely eating. She's nine and otherwise in good health, but a bit overweight. Last winter she was sick and then disappeared for about a week and came back better. Our other cat got the same thing, which the vet said was pneumonia, but I think was actually some virus, and he died. But she's been fine since then. She lives outdoors with 3 dogs and four other cats, but I brought her inside now cos she's sick. She's neutered since she was 18 months. She's had one little of kittens. She's not vaccinated though, most people don't vaccinate cats in Ireland. She not getting sick or having diarhoeia and she's alert and walked around slowly a little, but then went back to her basket. She's seems in her normal mood (a little grumpy but friendly at the same time) but is definitely not herself. She's normally pretty active for her age. All my other, younger, cats and dogs were fine after the flea treatment. It doesn't seem like an emergency but does anyone know if it's sometimes normal for a cat to be a little sick after this? Or should I take her to the vet straight away? Thanks for any answers,

Oh yeah, and the cat probably had a few fleas before this, because they were all scratching a bit, and I saw a worm on one of the cat's tail, but she's this cat's enemy, so they don't go near each other, but yeah, she might have had worms too. Just in case this is important. Thanks.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-27-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Hi & welcome!

It never happened here. Better take her to the vet's, she's not acting normally. I also think she must be dewormed.
Pls keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-27-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Hi CiaraNorton, I'm Irene, welcome to the forum !

All my three cats were vaccinated and are indoor, I know outdoor cats are usually prone to fleas and worms. I suggest that you take your kitty to the vet straight away. If one of your cats has worms or fleas, you will have to get all of them treated ! Please keep us posted. Here is a useful article about symptoms of a sick cat :

Things To Do When Your Pet Cat Gets Sick

PS : Indoor cats tend to live healthier and longer.

Unread 04-27-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Hi ClaraNorton

I'm sorry to hear your cat is not very well. I use Advantage on my pair and they have always been fine so I guess it would be best to get her checked out.

I see you mention Advantage is a flea and worm treatment - I was also told this, however Advantage only treats roundworm and I was advised by my vet to also use Profender which is a 3 monthly spot on for all worms, so perhaps you could ask about it when you take her to the vets. It's fine to use with Advantage as long as you leave several days between treatments when you need to flea and worm at the same time - although if your cat has adverse reactions the vet might advise otherwise.

God luck and I hope she gets better soon. Sorry you lost your boy as well

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 04-28-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Default Never use over the counter flea products on cats

Take your cat to the vet right away and bring the product you used with you.

Over the counter flea products are not safe for your cat. They can kill, and have. I hope by now you have brought your cat to the vet and all is well. Please update us!

The only safe flea treatments for cats are Advantage for Cats, Revolution for cats and Frontline or Frontline Plus for cats. Nothing else should be used, ever.

And, these products should be bought at your vet. Flea products bought at pet stores or on line supply stores are boot leg and there is no gaurantee you are getting what the label says.

The companies mentioned above sell ONLY to veterinarians.

I hope your beloved furbaby is okay.

Last edited by acerlt; 04-28-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Unread 04-28-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Default regarding worms

In a multi cat house hold if one cat has worms, probably they all do. If they share a litter box, they share worms.

All cats will need to be treated with a broad spectrum prescription wormer called Drontal. It is given twice, three weeks apart. This is so the juvenile and unhatched worms can all be killed also. It can be gotten through the vet only.

Don't use over the counter dewormers. they are not safe.
Unread 04-29-2009   #7 (permalink)
Katarina

Unhappy I can empathize with your kitty.

You should read my thread, "Help! My human is trying to poison me." I tried to tell my human that the liquid wormer was bad stuff, but it kept trying to force it down my throat. It finally succeeded in getting just part of a dose into me, and the next day I puked all over the carpet. Fortunately, I felt better after a few hours.

There's a fine line between what's enough to kill the worms & fleas and what's enough to kill the kitty. Never use more than the recommended dose for kitty's weight. Since most products come in only three weight ranges, be expecially careful if your kitty is near the low end of the weight range. Also be especially careful if its the first time your kitty is being treated with a new product. I recommend applying one drop at first; don't apply the rest unless kitty is doing well the next day. Also beware of bootleg products. Some are not rated as food grade. Also, only treat your kitty with one product at a time. Flea treatment and worm treatment at the same time is twice as much stress on kitty's delecate constitution.

I keep hearing it repeated, here, that Advantage is for both fleas and worms. Again, I say, Bayer makes no such claim on their Advantage webpage.

You might call me paranoid, but before I was born, my human murdered my Uncle Alleywishus with a flea collar. So I am really scared of anything that's supposed to kill my parasites.

p.s.: I'm uncomfortable talking to humans. Please leave the keyboard where your kitty can respond to me directly. What is her name?

Kati

Unread 05-07-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina View Post

I keep hearing it repeated, here, that Advantage is for both fleas and worms. Again, I say, Bayer makes no such claim on their Advantage webpage.

Kati
It was the Vet who informed me of this - it s in the leaflet that come with the Advantage, although not prominently so (or it is in the UK at least) AND it's only good for roundworm, no others

Unread 05-08-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersmithy View Post
It was the Vet who informed me of this - it s in the leaflet that come with the Advantage, although not prominently so (or it is in the UK at least) AND it's only good for roundworm, no others
I have to now say I was wrong! I double checked my leaflet and I was right in that respect, but what I'd forgotten was - I changed from using Advantage to STRONGHOLD. It is that which does fleas and worms. I changed because I like the fact that any spillage dries and goes powdery on the fur instead of staying greasy.

Apologies for misleading people, it's not good

Unread 05-08-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersmithy View Post
I have to now say I was wrong! I double checked my leaflet and I was right in that respect, but what I'd forgotten was - I changed from using Advantage to STRONGHOLD. It is that which does fleas and worms. I changed because I like the fact that any spillage dries and goes powdery on the fur instead of staying greasy.

Apologies for misleading people, it's not good
Hehehe ... Nobody is purrrfect ! Thanks anyway for this clarification ...

Tags
age , animal , book , box , boy , breeds , carpet , cat , cat's , cats , changed , collar , color , dogs , eating , flea worm advocate , fleas , food , found , friendly , frontline , fur , health , hey , house , kittens , kitty , litter , litter box , lost , love , nutrition , overweight , pet , poison , scared , scratching , sick , stress , uncomfortable , vet , weight

Sponsored Cat Links