It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-06-2009   #1 (permalink)
gothkenny

Exclamation Cat keeps puking? :/

Hey guys, this is going to sound bad for a first post but I really need some advice. I'm not a total n00b to cats, they actually used to be my main interest. I've owned six cats in the past and consider them all pretty well taken care of. But I've ran into a problem with my latest addition. This is a year old male cat (All black. :3) that I found at a couple months old as a stray. He's been pretty clear of health problems (except for fleas but we cleared that up a long time ago.) but lately he will not stop puking. This can range from just clear-colored liquid with a few black hairs in it, liquid-y and brown, or really chunky blobs of cat food. (Nasty, I know. :P) I at first assumed it had to do with his food but... he hasn't changed foods? He's on some low-ish quality cat food (Purina... Blech.) but it seems like he would have been showing issues for a while but this problem has been really within the last month or so.
I don't know if any of you guys can tell just from what I've wrote so far but if anyone has any suggestions I'll take them.

Thank you guys SO much.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-06-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

Perhaps a hairball that is stuck? I'm not sure what it could be
You could call a vet and explain your cat's symptoms, they could probably suggest something (aside from bringing your cat in)
Unread 05-06-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Hi, welcome to the forum.
Poor kitty, my Princess also has the same problem. She eats very slow and will take small bites, unlike the other two who gabble up their food quickly. I used to give them hair ball remover paste every week, but will give Princess extra, she will be given hair ball remedy paste at least 2 ~ 3 times a week. This works well. I also mix a little Lactic Acid Bacteria powder (good bacteria) to help her digest her food. But puking could be fatal too, if that persists, I think you have to call the vet. Oh, I take all my cats to the vet for thorough health exam once a year, so for Princess, she had twice, complete with blood test, to make sure she is well. Get well soon (what is his name ?) !
Please keep us updated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-07-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

And what the vet says???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 05-07-2009   #5 (permalink)
DWMeowMix

First thing I'd try is a hairball remedy or some petroleum jelly to help pass any hairballs. If that doesn't take care of the problem within a day or two then I'd have him checked by the vet. He could have developed irritable bowel disease or have developed allergies. Both can come on rather suddenly. My Woody had IBD/Cancer and it sounds alot like what your describing. Of course it could also be nothing but a hairball. That's why we have veterarians.

Unread 05-08-2009   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Angelic
Artemis Moonsong is on a distinguished road

I don't want to alarm you, but just want to say that when my Bastet started throwing up repeatedly, for several days in a row, she eventually went into kidney failure. I had to rush her to the vet's.

Does kitty sound like he is in pain? Bastet would yowl and look miserable for a minute or two before finally throwing up. She was throwing up 3-4 times a day. I thought they were only hairballs, but apparently she ate something (a plant, a bug) and it made her ill.
Unread 05-08-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Do you mean, after Bastet ate a bug or a plant, one of these things led him to kidney failure ? Thanks in advance for further clarification.

Unread 05-08-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Yes Irene, there are many harmful plants for cats.

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 05-08-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

That's too dangerous ! Luckily, all of my kitties are indoor, and there's no single plant inside my house ... Oh, I suddenly remember once, hubby took in a pot of green plant from those he kept outside the house, then the next day I found shattered pieces of torn green plant on the floor with Princess Tiger puking ... I immediately put back the plant and fortunately, Princes was better afterwards... Better always keep plants outside !! Thanks Maya !

Unread 05-08-2009   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Angelic
Artemis Moonsong is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Jims View Post
Do you mean, after Bastet ate a bug or a plant, one of these things led him to kidney failure ? Thanks in advance for further clarification.
Yep, however, they only TOLD me at the vet's that they "THOUGHT" that must have been what caused the throwing up-and-then-later-dehydration-and-I-guess-kidney-failure. There is a reason I switched vets after that...

So I never knew why 90% of Bastet's kidneys shut down; I only know that she was throwing up (painfully) for several days previously.

Tags
addition , advice , allergies , bites , black , bowel , brown , care , cat , cat food , cats , changed , fleas , food , found , free , fur , happy , health , hey , house , ibd , indoor , kitties , kitty , male , playing , problem , problems , puking , small , stop , stray , suggestions , test , vet

Sponsored Cat Links