It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-07-2009   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Angelic
Artemis Moonsong is on a distinguished road
Default Limping

Hola, I have noticed something recently about my Nefrit: she limps, favoring one of her back legs, after getting up from a long nap. At first I thought she had perhaps pulled a muscle (she grunts when she tries to jump some place high ... poor fat little thing ) but now I begin to wonder if her leg is just falling asleep.

Has anyone else noticed this happening to one of their cats? She is a little overweight (despite prescription diet food...) so perhaps that is contributing to the issue.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-07-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

The fact that she is a little bit overweight is just enough for her legs to be more accident prone... Better consult with the vet, if possible, get an x-ray ... Get well soon !
My heart and prayers go to her !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-07-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Here are links to good articles ... hope they are helpful :

Things To Do When Your Pet Cat Gets Sick

How to Determine if Your Cat Is Overweight | eHow.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 05-07-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

I would take her to the vet's...

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 05-07-2009   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

I don't think it warrants a vet visit yet ... the fact that I am a poor graduate student may factor into that decision-making process

She has yearly check-ups so the weight thing is a known issue. That's why she's on W/D diet food (purchased at the vet's office once a month). Since it only happens when she gets up after a long nap, I'm still inclined to think it's a sleeping foot.

I guess we'll wait and see I just had wondered if anyone else had noticed this happening to their kitty or kitties (or even dog).
Unread 05-08-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Nope, never to my kitties !

Unread 05-08-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Never to mine also. I insist: take her to the vet's, she can be in pain.

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 05-08-2009   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzekmaya View Post
Never to mine also. I insist: take her to the vet's, she can be in pain.
She's not in pain *thinking* It's really hard to describe. I always know when they are feeling ill or unhappy. You just KNOW with them, you know?

It's an absent sort of limping, that lasts about 5-10 seconds after she wakes up. Then she's back to normal.

And earlier today she jumped about four feet straight up to the dresser with apparent ease. *is baffled*
Unread 05-09-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Great ! Nefrit is jumping again, and this time with ease ! Concats !

Unread 05-09-2009   #10 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Stressed
Ceri Cat is on a distinguished road

It's at least possible it's a dead leg, particularly if she's laying on it it might be suffering minor circulation loss, which is all a dead leg is usually. Still you should probably discuss this with your vet at some point, because it could be something potentially serious. I've never seen a cat with a dead/sleeping leg before. And as to her weight, you are controlling her portions and keeping her out of snacking?

Tags
breeds , cat , cats , diet , dog , food , great , happy , hey , jumping , kitties , kitty , links , loss , love , overweight , prayers , sick , sleeping , vet , weight

Sponsored Cat Links