It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-11-2009   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Fine
WeLuvCats is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to WeLuvCats Send a message via Yahoo to WeLuvCats
Question Brewers Yeast for fleas?

I have read that brewers yeast can be used for a natural remedy for fleas. Im looking for a natural way to rid these pesky things, anyone know anything about the yeast, or any other natural things to try? Thanks ya'll.

Oh, and Miley, Otis and Skye are doing great ! Fat and sassy !!

Proudly owned by my kitties
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-11-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Hi Dawn, great to hear from you again here... ! Glad to know that Miley, Otis and Skye are getting fat and sassy ! How about yourself, hope you had a wonderful mother's day with your mom and daughters.
BTW, from what you read about the brewers yeast, how do you apply that to our kitty ? I haven't heard about that before, but I have some at home now, so, I'm wondering too...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-11-2009   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

WeLuvCats is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to WeLuvCats Send a message via Yahoo to WeLuvCats
Smile

Hi Irene, thanks, yes, I had a nice Mothers day, had my Mom and my other mom, my Aunt over for dinner, and all my daughters came by. Yes, my 3 little kittens are growing like weeds, they are running all over my house now, I brought them inside from my sun porch, as it's starting to get hot here already, and I didnt want them getting too hot.
As for the brewers yeast, I read that you sprinkle 1/2 tsp per cat, over their wet food, or dry, if thats what you use. 2 weeks on, 1 week off. Its good in vitamins and from what Ive read, makes the blood taste change, and the fleas dont like it. Hey, its worth a try, I'd much rather give them that then the chemicals in frontline, etc. Thats why I posted this, just wanted to know if others had tried this, and their opinions. Google "brewers yeast in felines", lots of info out there... Take care Irene, my friend !

Purrs and hugs from me and my gang

Proudly owned by my kitties
Unread 05-11-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thanks ! Good to know that everything is allright with you all. It's getting hot here too. Yeah, the brewer's yeast, worth a try. It's interesting too how it works... Still I hope Acer would read this thread and hopefully she can come up with something helpful about the info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 05-11-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Hi Dawn, glad the kitties are all doing so well!

This intrigued me so I googled it and there is a lot of info, however there seems to be some debate about whether it is good long term. Most of the people who use it seem to use brewers yeast and garlic, which is not good for cats. I found one quote, below - it was in connection with dogs, but I guess it can also apply to cats

"Brewer's yeast added to the diet has been touted as a sure cure for fleas, but recently information has come to light suggesting that the large amount of brewer's yeast necessary to eliminate fleas might cause health problems. Instead of adding brewer's yeast to your dog's diet, try sprinkling it on your pet. Thoroughly rub it into the coat to make sure it reaches the skin. It is best to do this outside, because the fleas cannot stand the smell of yeast and will jump off of your pet."

Heidi x

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 05-11-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersmithy View Post
Hi Dawn, glad the kitties are all doing so well!

This intrigued me so I googled it and there is a lot of info, however there seems to be some debate about whether it is good long term. Most of the people who use it seem to use brewers yeast and garlic, which is not good for cats. I found one quote, below - it was in connection with dogs, but I guess it can also apply to cats

"Brewer's yeast added to the diet has been touted as a sure cure for fleas, but recently information has come to light suggesting that the large amount of brewer's yeast necessary to eliminate fleas might cause health problems. Instead of adding brewer's yeast to your dog's diet, try sprinkling it on your pet. Thoroughly rub it into the coat to make sure it reaches the skin. It is best to do this outside, because the fleas cannot stand the smell of yeast and will jump off of your pet."

Heidi x
What Heidi ? Yeah, sometimes opinions or info we can find on the internet are controversial ... I don't mind sprinkling some on my kitties (external use) ... it is not sticky anyway ! Or they can eat a little of it, for better result, maybe ?

Unread 05-11-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvCats View Post
I have read that brewers yeast can be used for a natural remedy for fleas. Im looking for a natural way to rid these pesky things, anyone know anything about the yeast, or any other natural things to try? Thanks ya'll.

Oh, and Miley, Otis and Skye are doing great ! Fat and sassy !!
Never heard of it but... interesting!
Great the kits are doing well! Maybe you can share more pix with us?

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 05-12-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

While yeast might deter a few fleas from getting on the cats, it will not solve a flea problem and it will not keep the fleas off the people.

Frontline Plus or Revolution are the best things to get rid of your fleas. They are chemicals, yes, but they are safe, and they are better for the cats than fleas all over them.

Frontline Plus and Revolution not only kill fleas, but break the life cycle of the flea by killing the eggs and larva too.

Used consistently on every cat, and eventually you will have no more fleas. There are more fleas in the carpet and upholstery than there are on the cat. Using one of these spot on treatments will eventually eliminate ALL fleas, because every time a flea hatches and jumps on a cat it will die, so eventually there will be no more fleas.

I think Frontline Plus is what should be used on kittens rather than Revolution, Dawn. (though I read that revolution actually kills fleas off the cat too, as the cat sheds, the chemical that kills the fleas and eggs gets into the carpet and kills there, too) When they get bigger you could switch to revolution if needed.

One last thing. Always buy topical flea products from your vet only. Manufacturers sell only to vets, buying at an on-line store you are buying bootleg and may or may not get the real thing.

Tags
care , carpet , cat , cats , diet , dogs , dry , fleas , food , found , frontline , great , health , hey , home , house , interesting , internet , kittens , kitties , kitty , love , natural , nice , pet , problem , problems , smell , vet , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links