It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-12-2009   #1 (permalink)
morcomka

Default Food Options for Sensitive Stomach?

Hi, everyone!

My cat is 14 years old and has been regularly throwing up for about two years. The vet told me to switch her food from regular Iams to Iams ProActive Health Digestive Care. However, she is still throwing up almost every day. What brands/types of food (wet or dry) should I be giving an older cat with a sensitive stomach? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Kathy

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-12-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Hi Welcome to the forum ! I'm so sorry to know that your cat has been suffering for such a long period and almost daily ! Does that affect her daily activity, like pee and poo, play and sleep, and her mood ? I think I've seen several brands for sensitive stomach kitty out there (mostly sold through the vet). How long have you switched the food ? Maybe it takes time for her stomach to improve ? My Princess Tiger also has a sensitive stomach, although it's not that severe, but I used to give her (mix in her food)Lactic Acid Bacteria powder, just a teaspoon a day, it works and control to maintain her normal digestion. I would suggest that you seek a second opinion from another vet, if there is no improvement.
BTW, what is your kitty's name ? Give her furry hugs and kisses from me and my kits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-13-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome to the forum to you and your cat, kathy.

Has your vet done blood work on your senior kitty? She may have other stuff going on, such as kidney disease.

Ask your vet about trying a prescription food made specially for sensitive systems like Hill's i/d.

another option is to gradually (very slowly) switch her over from dry food to canned food so she will get more moisture.

All that vomiting may be causing some dehydration. It is also bad for her esophagus and teeth.

Unread 05-13-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Default Hill's prescription i/d

Hill's Prescription i/d

dry:

Prescription Diet: Therapeutic Pet Food for Cats and Dogs | Hill's Pet Nutrition

canned:

Prescription Diet: Therapeutic Pet Food for Cats and Dogs | Hill's Pet Nutrition

available only through your vet, or, with a prescription, at a pet supply store.

Unread 05-13-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Has your vet done blood work on your senior kitty? She may have other stuff going on, such as kidney disease.

another option is to gradually (very slowly) switch her over from dry food to canned food so she will get more moisture.
All that vomiting may be causing some dehydration. It is also bad for her esophagus and teeth.

Kathy, I agree with Acer, dehydration may damage kidney too ... Please give her more water, as I do with my kitty (Princess Tiger who used to vomit too) , you can use kitten feeding bottle or drop. The blood test is necessary for that kind of long term and severe case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 05-13-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hi & welcome Kathy!

Try Royal Canine for sensitive stomach. Hope the vomits are nothing serious. But if continues, pay a visit to the vet's...

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 05-14-2009   #7 (permalink)
furryfriends50

have you tried grain free?

all that corn in iams/sd could be the problem.

also try feed all wet food b/c dry is dehydrating.

Unread 05-18-2009   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

automaton2 is on a distinguished road
Default heres another food

My lil maine coon boy Cupido had a bout of vomiting and diarrhea
I have transitioned him off hills i/d onto natures balance duck and pea
He is not sick from it and is thriving his coat looks sheeny

their are lots of posts about this food in many forums
L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets™ DUCK& GREEN PEA FORMULA
Duck, Duck Broth, Duck Liver, Pea Flour, Pea Protein, Salmon Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Sodium Chloride, Flaxseed, Dried Cranberries, Yucca Schidigera, Carrageenan, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement
Unread 05-18-2009   #9 (permalink)
giagirl

Hi Kathy sorry to hear about your baby not feeling well. My 11 year old Devon Rex Mouse was diagnosed with I.B.S as a youngster. Working at a vet clinic Ive tried every cat food out there. The only food that helped him was a hairball control food or the raw diet. Funny he doesnt have a whole lot of hair but its the hairball control that helps the most. Just a higher fibre diet. Make sure your cat isnt dehydrating. Cats can go downhill extremely fast. Kidneys shutting down etc. Every cat is different but this is what helped my baby. Vomiting for 2 days requires a vet visit, better safe than sorry

Unread 05-19-2009   #10 (permalink)
Top Cat

Lyka_01 is on a distinguished road

You can make your own food for your pet...
In that way you can balance the food contents...

||

"If animals could speak the dog would be a a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."

Tags
advice , baby , boy , canned food , care , cat , cat food , cats , devon rex , diarrhea , diet , dog , dogs , dry , dry food , egg , fast , fiber , fixed , food , found , free , frontline , fun , funny , health , kitten , kitty , maine coon , mouse , natural , nutrition , opinion , pee , pet , pet food , play , poo , problem , raw , royal , senior , sick , sleep , vet , vomit , vomiting , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links