It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-18-2009   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Angelic
Artemis Moonsong is on a distinguished road
Default Still itching after Advantage

Hi all

I'm house-sitting at my sister's for a couple weeks, and of course brought my two cats with me. My sister also has a dog (corgi) and a cat that I'm watching, so it's a crowded house O_O

Last night, I noticed my cat Bastet was itching. Luckily, she's mostly white, so I can always very easily check for fleas. Yep, she had them. I was dismayed, because all the cats in the house (mine and my sister's) are inside only, and the dog is supposedly on Advantage. Additionally, my sister and her husband bombed the house for fleas because there was an infestation. This was about a week ago.

This morning, I don't see any more fleas on Bastet's neck, but yet everyone is now scratching. Yesterday, no one was scratching; last night, Bastet was scratching; today, EVERYONE is scratching.

What do you guys think? Fleas are dead, and everyone is just scratching at the leftover bites? I'm hoping that's the case.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-18-2009   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Stressed
Ceri Cat is on a distinguished road

Could also be molt related. I'd say keep an eye on them for another couple of days and if you've dosed for fleas you might need to consider a flea collar as additional protection(take care not to go overboard as "double dipping" on protection can be a problem). I know with the flea rinse we used to use a flea collar was still good added protection. It's also possible the fleas are getting inside somehow and surviving long enough to board an unwilling host.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-18-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Advantage on the dog is not going to be enough to get rid of these fleas.

I recommend you treat all the cats with Frontline PLUS for Cats. (make sure they have not been treated with something else within the past month)

Frontline Plus kills adult fleas AND kills eggs, so breaks the life cycle of the flea, thus eventually, with continuous treatment every 30 days, all fleas will be gone.

for one flea on a cat, there are probably 100 or more in the rug, upholstery etc.

Just a precaution in case you don't already know: don't use over the counter flea products as they have been known to kill.

And don't use Advantix (different from Advantage) on the dog as Advantix is so toxic to cats, just brushing up against a dog treated with it can make a cat seriously ill, or fatal.

And when next doggie is due to be treated, suggest to your sister that she switch to frontline PLUS for dogs, for the dog, and continue with frontline PLUS for cats, for the cat.

Unread 05-19-2009   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Angelic
Artemis Moonsong is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys Most of the scratching has calmed down now ... everyone seems at peace. All of the animals were treated with Advantage, so I would want to wait awhile before trying another product so soon.

I worked at a vet clinic about ten years ago (wait, maybe more like fifteen...) and when Advantage came out, everyone was freaking out over how good it is. So I'm probably just pre-programmed into thinking it's the best. I've yet to try Frontline but will give it a whirl the next time around.
Unread 05-19-2009   #5 (permalink)
Top Cat

Parasites develop immunity over time, particularly when people don't treat their pets properly with the chemicals, give another 5-10 years and frontline might not be so great anymore either.
Unread 05-19-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis Moonsong View Post
Thanks guys Most of the scratching has calmed down now ... everyone seems at peace. All of the animals were treated with Advantage, so I would want to wait awhile before trying another product so soon.

I worked at a vet clinic about ten years ago (wait, maybe more like fifteen...) and when Advantage came out, everyone was freaking out over how good it is. So I'm probably just pre-programmed into thinking it's the best. I've yet to try Frontline but will give it a whirl the next time around.
Yes, advantage is a good product. but it doesn't kill the eggs, so the life cycle continues. I think advantage (made by bayer) has a new line that does kill the eggs too...advantage multi? You can ask the vet.

If you get frontline, be sure it is Frontline PLUS, as that is the formula that kills eggs too.

I've also read that putting a flea collar in your vacuum cleaner bag (or canister) helps too. Not on the cats, but in the bag.

Unread 05-19-2009   #7 (permalink)
Top Cat

Hmm a bit of garlic mashed into their food is a good natural flea repellent. Makes their skin a bit nasty to their sensibilities it seems.
Unread 05-19-2009   #8 (permalink)
Top Cat

Lyka_01 is on a distinguished road

You better clean the area where your pet mostly sleep...
And used anti fleas shampoo for them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If animals could speak the dog would be a a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
Unread 05-19-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri Cat View Post
Hmm a bit of garlic mashed into their food is a good natural flea repellent. Makes their skin a bit nasty to their sensibilities it seems.
Garlic is toxic to cats and should never be given to them. It can cause anemia, and death.
Unread 05-19-2009   #10 (permalink)
Top Cat

Small amounts are not an issue for the health of cats, though I agree there is definitely evidence indicating at least a percentage of cats have a bad reaction to garlic. We're finding dogs also have the problem of toxicity with onions and garlic, however both are found in cat and dog food.
I should have clarified I meant it for the dog specifically, though the amount I was considering is usually insufficient to cause adverse reactions in a healthy cat provided it's not a daily event.
I've only just found out about canines also having adverse reactions today ironically. *sighs* It's a shame because a small amount once a week did actually help stop flea infestation.

Tags
adult , age , animal , bite , bites , care , cat , cat food , cats , clean , collar , color , diet , dog , dogs , dry , dry food , eating , eye , eyes , fleas , food , frontline , great , happy , health , healthy , hey , house , kitties , kitty , love , moving , natural , opinion , overweight , pet , pet food , problems , raw , scary , scratching , sleep , small , vet

Sponsored Cat Links