It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-27-2009   #1 (permalink)
jawsmommy99

Default thoughts on declawing

ok ive heard good and bad on declawing and personally i think no but my kitty is so playful and no matter what she does her claws are out, im expecting a baby soon so i was wondering if anyone has kids and kittens. any help would be appreciated. one more question, she is getting up to the right weight to be spayed will she calm down after the surgery? thank you for reading.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-27-2009   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Stressed
Ceri Cat is on a distinguished road

She might calm down but I wouldn't place any bets on it. Cats can be funny thought, they'll attack you or me, but leave the kids alone even if the kid pulls on their tail. Declawing is never a good idea, your best bet if you learn how to do it properly is just to trim her claws and teach her where her scratching post is and that it's to be the only clawing victim in the household. That being said I know how hard it can be.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-27-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

I think ALL true CAT LOVERS will give you the BIG "NO ! NO !" answer, coz they know the TRUTH about declawing. Declawing is an inhumane, unnecessary procedure that has many alternatives

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 05-27-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

With declawing, we are interfering with a species' nature because of our own whims, mis-conceptions, misinformation, and sometimes, laziness. Dr. Nicholas Dodman, author of The cat Who Cried for Help, and director of the Animal Behavior Clinic at Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine has the following to say about the procedure: "Declawing fits the dictionary definition of mutilation to a tee. Words such as deform, disfigure, disjoint and dismember all apply to this surgery√Čin veterinary medicine, the clinical procedure serves as a model of severe pain for the testing of analgesic drugs."
Declawing is actually multiple amputations comparable to the removal of human fingertips at the first knuckle. Sensory and motor nerves are cut, damaged, and destroyed. Recovery from the surgery is a slow and painful process. This procedure can hamper the sensations and enjoyment involved in walking, running, springing, climbing, and stretching.

While declawing is a popular and lucrative practice in the United States, it is not practiced in European countries. It is, in fact, against the law, in many countries including England, Germany, and Switzerland.

I used to tell all those who wants a cat but is more concerned with their fur-niture than their fur-baby, to GET A DECLAWED CAT at the shelter. There are many poor cats declawed then dumped by their owner available at the shelters !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Irene Jims; 05-27-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Unread 05-27-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Do not declaw! You should train it to use scratching posts, it is quite do-able. You just have to be patient enough. It could take a lot of time. Spray cat nip on the scratching posts, it may help. She's just a baby still and she will use her claws more than an adult cat.

If you fear for your baby, just always keep an eye on them and close the baby's door when going to sleep.

A kitten/cat will be your baby too and you must do everything in your nature to protect her. They too take a lot of time and effort to be trained. Nobody claimed it was easy having a cat, but it will be oh so worth it in the end!

Make sure she plays a lot, like I mentioned earlier. Get her stimulated enough. I think Irene mentioned something abnout buying many scratching posts in the other post. Do that. Get her a cat tree/furniture that she can climb on. Cats just love to relax on top of a tall cat tree.

Declawing illegal here in Norway too, Irene If you go to a cat show and it turns out that the cat is declawed, you will get a fine for that (and of course you'll be disqualified), and with good reason.
Unread 05-27-2009   #6 (permalink)
Top Cat

I don't know about the legality of declawing in Australia however I'd guess given tail docking and ear clipping are illegal it's probably the same here. If it isn't I'd question why.
Unread 05-27-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri Cat View Post
I don't know about the legality of declawing in Australia however I'd guess given tail docking and ear clipping are illegal it's probably the same here. If it isn't I'd question why.
That's terrible
Unread 05-27-2009   #8 (permalink)
Top Cat

Hmm very American though, still people that clip Great Dane ears in the US unfortunately, same with tail docking on Rottweillers. Luckily those are illegal here, declawing I am unsure of but I've never met a declawed cat to date so odds are it's illegal as well.
Unread 05-27-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

In the U.S. and Canada onychectomy (declawing) is a booming business. Recently a movement against this practice has been organized by a group called The Paw Project in California. So far four cities in the country have banned declawing.

Unread 05-27-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I've heard that many vets also refuse to go through with this procedure?
I don't get why people would cut off ears or tails. That's a part of what makes their character. I know some people think they look tougher this way. Those people are obviously not getting a pet for the purpose of having a pet. They just want an object that looks cool for them to own. Such people shouldn't be allowed to have pets in the first place.

I also realize that many do this due to dog fights as well. Horrible "sport". Makes me sick.

Tags
age , animal , attack , baby , black , black cat , calm , care , cat , cat lovers , cats , changed , christmas , claws , collar , color , cool , cut , dogs , eye , fights , found , fur , furniture , girl , great , happy , hey , home , hurt , kittens , kitty , love , loving , mat , money , nails , question , scratching , shelter , sick , small , spayed , surgery , thoughts , vet , weight

Sponsored Cat Links