It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-03-2009   #1 (permalink)
nobluescreen

Default Help...having a very hard time with this

All,

As I write this, I am extremely sad and upset. I think my cat Alex is dying. He is 16 years old (born july 92 so would be 17 next month). Since I left home in 2002, he has been with my mother who is retired.

Very gradually over time, he has lost weight and now is is to the point where he only weighs a few pounds. When he was health, he was a fairly good size cat and was about 10 pounds or so. We most noticed this when we would pick him up. I am going to list the symptoms out to make this easier:

-Gradual weight loss
-Eating plenty of food and drinking plenty
-Hiding in the garden or in the bathroom or back behind the couches
-Eliminating all over the house and sometimes still in the litter box
-The condition of his coat has become matted and dirty
-can no longer jump up on the couch and is very slow going up steps, but this has been gradual and we noticed he slowed down quite a bit before the weight loss
-He still confirms when we call his name with a meow
-His claws look like they are no longer retracting into his paws and they have started to twist sideways and his little paws that were once pink are turning black in some areas.
-His eyes look very pale and cloudy
-Sometimes when he is laying down, instead of his eyes being closed like he is sleeping he just stares off into space.

My mother has been reluctant to take him to the vet as we lost one of the family dogs April of last year and she is afraid they will want to put him right to sleep.

He doensn't appear to be suffering, but then again I am not an expert. At other times he looks fine and he will walk around and meow for me to turn on the spigot for him to drink and he can still climb into the tub and clean himself and drink.

What do you all think I should do. With his age and the symptoms I am pretty sure they will want to put him down, but another part of me says to let god take him when he is ready or that he will feel more comfortable passing at his own house.

See I am 32 years old and I was like 15 when I got him and this is really hard and after seeing him again today I am really really upset and don't know what to do. Please help me do the right thing for Alex.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-03-2009   #2 (permalink)
nobluescreen

I am sorry to post again, but I am really upset still and can't get to sleep. In April of last year my dog had to be put down and all that kept going through my mind was how he would look at me. Now today I went up my mom's with my daughter and he was just laying there and I said 'alex' like I always have for close to 17 years....and he let out a little meow and my mom said it was so sad....but in my mind I have been denying that it is happening because I don't want to get upset again. I don't want to let him go and it is so hard....it has just been a terrible time this last year or year and a half. My 22yo nephew died in a car crash in Nov of 2007, I lost bud in April of 08, lost my job at the end of february, and now I am loosing Alex.

Bud was a rotweiller mix and he got parvo when he was 5 months old....he got treatment and pulled through and he would have been 11 last july. Way back, Alex disappeared for like a week or so and he has always liked to go outside. Well one day years and years ago i found him just laying around and found some kind of animal bite and took him to the vet and he was good as new and a normal cat after.

I knew that he would eventually die, but I now feel guilty that I should have done something sooner....but all the research I did came back to it being normal for some weight loss to occur gradually as a cat gets older.

I am sorry to write again but i just don't know how else to deal with this right now....it really hurts and putting my feelings out there in writing is helping me get through it....hopefully if someone else is going through this or will go through it will help you.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-03-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

I know you are afraid to take your cat to the vet for fear the vet will put the cat down. From personal experience, no vet makes that decision for you, that is the decision of the owner. I'd take the cat to the vet, if the cat is losing weight rapidly but still eating and drinking normally, something truly is wrong.
Unread 06-03-2009   #4 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Hi dear,please do like Crystal said,and take Alex to the vets ASAP.Good luck,and please come back and let us konw how Alex is.Take care,xxxxx
Unread 06-03-2009   #5 (permalink)
nobluescreen

Thank you both for your advice. I think I have to put his feelings above mine at this point. I will take him to the vet and let you all know what happens.

Unread 06-03-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Hello, I just got home and found this post. I'm sorry for your loss of your dog, and for Alex. I know it must be hard, since 17 years is not a short period AT ALL. You both must have a special feeling for each other. But I must agree with Crystal and Cheryl, no matter how afraid you are of losing him, you still need to overcome that fear and take Alex to the vet. It's you to decide you want to put him down or not, and getting him treated properly might increase the chance for him to live quality life longer if not totally healed. In older cats, having kidney failure is also common, I would say that coz I read thru your symptom list. There is another member,Greg who just lost his fur-daughter to this disease, he posted a thread about this a couple of days ago, under cat health & nutrition section. Please check for yourself. I hope that thread will help you rule out Alex's health condition. Yes, please keep us updated after the vet visit.
Please post his picture if you feel like doing it. My prayer is with you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 06-03-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Pls keep us posted, dear. Our prayers & thoughts are with you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)

Tags
advice , age , animal , bite , black , car , care , cat , cat health , cats , claws , clean , dog , dogs , dying , eating , eyes , family , food , found , health , hey , hiding , home , house , litter , loss , lost , mat , meow , nutrition , picture , prayers , sad , sleep , sleeping , thoughts , upset , vet , weight

Sponsored Cat Links