It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-03-2009   #1 (permalink)
Big_Kahuna

Default How much should my kitty be fed?

I know this is a mundane topic, but I've had 2 boys in the past that became really overweight. One even developed diabetes.

The cat rescue operation (where we adopted Joey) said to feed him a little wet food twice a day and to keep dry food in his bowl all the time. So basically, he eats whenever he wants to. Joey was born Jan. 25th and is now 4 months old.

Does this feeding pattern sound right? If so, at what point do we regulate his feeding AND how much do we feed him to keep him healthy but not hungry? I know all this may sound dumb, but it's not as easy as feeding a large dog and there's a measurement scale on the side of the bag. Joey is a little guy and really healthy right now & I want to keep him that way.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-03-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I would definitely not keep dry food avaiable ALL the time. My cat would get really really fat if I did. She'll eat all at once, haha. She has no control.

When I feed my Anastasia dry food, I give her 85 grams a day, nothing more (I divide it into two meals), coz that what it says on the package. It depends on which brand you use. I think it should be written on the package. I also give her something extra twice a week (then I only give her 40-50 grams of dry food), plus the occasional small treat.

I think he will be okay with just wet food too. He doesn't need both everyday.
Unread 06-03-2009   #3 (permalink)
Big_Kahuna

yeah, I didn't understand why the wet food twice a day. does wet help digestion more than dry? his bowels seem to approve! he's quite regular with no issues in that department!

so Joey is only 4 months old (and fortunately he does not eat everything all at once). Do you think I should start restricting his food now? two feedings a day?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-03-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

I don't see the issue with feeding cats wet food twice a day. I feed Cami canned wet food twice a day, but I do it on the vet's advice since Cami is underweight & very small for her age. Anyway, back on topic: I wouldn't leave the dry food out all day, that's a good way for your cat to become overweight. Try a feeding schedule, and follow the measured feeding recommendations on the dry food bag. I give my kittens 1/4 cup each for breakfast, and another 1/4 cup for lunch. They now get a small scoop (about 1 tablespoon each) of wet food around lunchtime. Cami gets wet food with her dinner as well, to help her put on a little bit more weight.
Unread 06-03-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamiDante View Post
I wouldn't leave the dry food out all day, that's a good way for your cat to become overweight. Try a feeding schedule, and follow the measured feeding recommendations on the dry food bag.
That's exactly what you should do and as Crystal, divide it through the day
Unread 06-03-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrineA View Post
That's exactly what you should do and as Crystal, divide it through the day
I didn't have much of a choice LOL. Every time the food was out, Cami would sit and eat until it was gone, then she would throw up on the carpet about 20 minutes later. Now that she's on a schedule and gets a set amount at a set time, she's no longer getting sick (and I don't have to constantly clean up!)
Unread 06-03-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamiDante View Post
I didn't have much of a choice LOL. Every time the food was out, Cami would sit and eat until it was gone, then she would throw up on the carpet about 20 minutes later. Now that she's on a schedule and gets a set amount at a set time, she's no longer getting sick (and I don't have to constantly clean up!)
Yuck! Hehe. Anastasia also eats 'til all is gone, but I haven't given her all at once. I keep telling her that she should save some in case she'll get hungry later. That girl never listens to me
Unread 06-04-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

As Katrine posted, don't leave dry food available all the time. You need to regulate the qty as written on the package.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 06-07-2009   #9 (permalink)
oldcrafty

We've always kept food out for our cats and so do our neighbors. While our girls seem healthy and fit, our neighbor's cats (both males, fixed) are obviously overweight. I don't know if it's a genetic thing or what, but we've never had a problem with ours over-eating. Noodle runs back and forth down the hall in a day more than I make the trip in a month, so I can see where she stays slim and trim. Dixie is pretty much the perfect weight for her size, but is a little less active and a tad older than her playmate.

Unread 06-07-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My vet told me that no matter how much you feed your cat, make sure your cat is active and exercised daily. My cats play by chasing each other (burn them calories! LOL), they get chased by the dog, which exercises them even more! They also chase laser lights, which is great exercise and hilarious fun for friends and family who visit with us

Tags
adopted , advice , age , beautiful , bites , carpet , cat , cats , clean , diabetes , dog , dry , dry food , eating , family , female , fixed , food , friends , fun , girl , great , healthy , hey , kittens , kitty , laser , male , mat , overweight , play , problem , rescue , save , sick , small , smart , vet , weight , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links