It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-08-2009   #11 (permalink)
Cherylb1003

Default Hoity Toity cats eats steak!

Thanks for all your suggestions. The blood work so far is normal, so for now the kidneys are fine. Guess the blood work should be checked regularly.

We don't generally feed her people food, but my husband reminded me that she has eaten steak after he has carefully cleaned off the fat from plate scraps. So I pulled out some steak from the freezer. Sure enough, she ate the steak. I have to laugh, hubby went to buy steak and came home with round (at least not tenderloin like was in the freezer) because he wasn't sure that the London Broil was good enough for her.....talk about a spoiled kitty.

So after about 12 cans of chicken and a couple of tunas (all left uneaten - did you know that Petco will refund your purchase if your pet won't eat the food?), I have been cooking a piece of steak for her twice a day for the last couple of days.

Love her dearly, I do, but the London Broil is on sale this week. And I know that steak is not a well balanced diet for any animal, so I guess the next step is shifting her over to something that is healthier for her - though she even turned her nose up at the Newman's Organic beef at $1.09 a 3 oz can. I thought it smelled a lot like her steak...apparently she doesn't agree. I won't complain about not cooking for her either. Gee, I try to get out of cooking for hubby and me - spoiled kitty

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-09-2009   #12 (permalink)
GregC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylb1003 View Post
Thanks for all your suggestions. The blood work so far is normal, so for now the kidneys are fine. Guess the blood work should be checked regularly.

We don't generally feed her people food, but my husband reminded me that she has eaten steak after he has carefully cleaned off the fat from plate scraps. So I pulled out some steak from the freezer. Sure enough, she ate the steak. I have to laugh, hubby went to buy steak and came home with round (at least not tenderloin like was in the freezer) because he wasn't sure that the London Broil was good enough for her.....talk about a spoiled kitty.

So after about 12 cans of chicken and a couple of tunas (all left uneaten - did you know that Petco will refund your purchase if your pet won't eat the food?), I have been cooking a piece of steak for her twice a day for the last couple of days.

Love her dearly, I do, but the London Broil is on sale this week. And I know that steak is not a well balanced diet for any animal, so I guess the next step is shifting her over to something that is healthier for her - though she even turned her nose up at the Newman's Organic beef at $1.09 a 3 oz can. I thought it smelled a lot like her steak...apparently she doesn't agree. I won't complain about not cooking for her either. Gee, I try to get out of cooking for hubby and me - spoiled kitty
I am not sure if you understood my advice. Does your cat have any other symptoms ? I have clearly defined those in my post topic

Thats important to identify, especially for an old cat.

Plus is your cat indoor or outdoor ?

Abnormal Kidney values due not show up in the blood until the kidneys have declined to 29% of normal function.
IOW , you will see normal range or close to normal range Creatine/BUN readings in the blood test while the kidneys are only functioning at 30% or greater.

And once kidneys decline to 29%, the kidney disease has declined far to significantly for any long term treatment or care.

I hope this makes sense. You should not be content with a vet saying
' blood test/ urine ok ' . You need the actual #'s and track changes. And you need to correlate this with other symptoms
of your cat.

Feeding an old cat London Broil or high protein food suitable for us humans is a bad idea.

I hope this does not sound rude. There is simply too much ' information ' or advice from folks with good intentions that might make your cat worse.

Ultimately, we are responsible for the quality of our cats life

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-09-2009   #13 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Hi Cheryl, concerned mom : I still wish to suggest that you will take time to read Greg's thread about kidney failure issue -- it's at the Health & Nutrition Section of this site. He had pointed out that there are two types of vets treating your kitty : a passive and aggressive treatments, before you rule out this for your beloved kitty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 06-09-2009   #14 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't feed your kitty steak. I know that might be what she will eat, but it's not a healthy choice! And no, Petco will not refund canned cat food it if it opened. There are many other cat foods out there, like I suggested before, why not try some cat food OTHER then chicken? If your cat still isn't eating, take her to the vet ASAP....
Unread 06-09-2009   #15 (permalink)
Cherylb1003

Default To all who care - Thanks

As with anything, there's a bigger story than you can tell in one post.

Hannah (an indoor cat) has so much more going on that I'm prioritizing (triaging?) her issues. I actually went to the vet because she's limping and when he weighed her she had lost 6 oz in about 3 months. We talked about going for a cardiac consult because she has a heart murmur. The cardiac consult at Tufts Univ Vet School ($800 w/ tests) showed HCM (thickened heart muscle w/ slightly enlarged ventricle, not bad enough to cause poor appetite) and really high blood pressure (my vet doesn't do BPs in his office). Along with normal kidney and thyroid values, she has none of the physical symptoms of kidney issues. Further testing of the elevated sugar in her blood and urine showed they were a result of stress not diabetes.

She was really stressed out by the consult, echocardiogram, blood & urine tests, and 2 rounds of blood pressure readings. She also went on BP medicine daily and 20 mg asprin 2x/wk. Either or both caused her to stop eating completely, hence my original post.

Priority 1 - As cats who don't eat quickly get fattly livers, get enough calories into her to prevent that.

Priority 2 & 3 - Adjust &/ or add blood pressure medications (figure out a way to get blood pressure readings at less than $72 a pop). Get her on a more appropriate diet than just steak (tried Newman's organic beef. it smelled like steak to me...apparently not to her)

Priority 2&3 b - Figure out if I have to change vets because he doesn't have blood pressure equipment. He is a wonderful vet who really cares. He follows up just about anything with a phone call to find out how she's doing. When her cat was really sick, he even gave my daughter-in law his home number in case she needed him at night. He's a wonderful sounding board as I go through expensive testing options offered by Tufts - some make sense some don't.

Priority 4 - Why has she lost her appetite? Its looking like its just that she tired of her old food.

Priority 5 - While the limp doesn't bother her (and has been deemed not a clot leaving the heart and lodging in the leg) I'd like to know what's going on there.

Priority 6 - Figure out whether we leave her with my son while we go on vacation in 4 to 8 months. Apparently she isn't at risk for cardiac failure, but a serious illness, surgery, or steroids may put her in cardiac failure. She has stress IBD which requires steroids any time we leave her for more than a few days. She completely stopped eating and drinking twice before she was diagnosed with the IBD. Prednisalone saved her life those two times and prevented problems several more. We haven't gone on vacation in a couple of years, yet do we take a chance on a may? I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Well, she'll certainly get lots of cuddles as I mull all of this over. And, as she doesn't play favorites, she'll get lots of cuddles from hubby too. We got through the IBD, we'll get through this too.

Unread 06-09-2009   #16 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Ooohhh, poor little Hannah... she just can't afford being left alone without her meowmy ... I think this mommy's girl is sooo attached to you. My princess is the one who will get real nervous (stressful) when I'm away from home.
For long vacations (months), will you consider taking Hannah with you ?
Praying that you all (and Hannah) will get through all this too this time. Hope you can soon find a better food with sufficient nutrient or her.
Please keep us updated on her medications, especially when you really found a new vet. My gang is sending her fluffy hugs and kisses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 06-09-2009   #17 (permalink)
GregC

lot going on with Hannah. I would feel extremely bad leaving my sick cat
even for a few days.

Thats really your call to leave for a long time.

Cats are very loving and are going to react negatively if someone they love is gone.

I understand the BP but I don't think that effects appetite. Hannah is protesting something else, IMO, either the pills or too many recent tests.

I use to coax my Maggie constantly after her pills- I gave her food and lots of lov and hugs and strokes.

I don't like ' over testing ' by vets- many of them are test crazy. And it freaks out our girls.

I don't see if you have answered if Hannah has any other symptoms- vomiting, litter habits, drinking water more ? Is she lethargic ?

You have to ' rule out things' before moving forward.

Unread 06-09-2009   #18 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC View Post
lot going on with Hannah. I would feel extremely bad leaving my sick cat
even for a few days.

Thats really your call to leave for a long time.

Cats are very loving and are going to react negatively if someone they love is gone.

I understand the BP but I don't think that effects appetite. Hannah is protesting something else, IMO, either the pills or too many recent tests.

I use to coax my Maggie constantly after her pills- I gave her food and lots of lov and hugs and strokes.

I don't like ' over testing ' by vets- many of them are test crazy. And it freaks out our girls.

I don't see if you have answered if Hannah has any other symptoms- vomiting, litter habits, drinking water more ? Is she lethargic ?

You have to ' rule out things' before moving forward.
It seems that I'm lucky that my Princess' previous vet was not test crazy, she used to remind me that unnecessary tests will only put more stress on our "nervous" cat, but not anymore, coz she left her post for some reasons.

I completely agree that cats are just very sensitive and would develop negative feelings when someone they love is gone. My friend's cat "felt" completely unloved and ignored after a new kitten came and the attention, hugs, kisses that she used to have, have gone to that kitten, instead she was punished for being "mean" toward the newbie and locked alone in a crater, she fell sick and died soon afterward.

Unread 06-10-2009   #19 (permalink)
Cherylb1003

Default I wouldn't leave her for months either

Hannah looks like a happy healthy cat - it's hard to believe that she has so much going on. Except for the limp (or sometimes hopping on all threes) she behaves normally, drinks normally, eats (albeit steak) normally, and uses her litter box fastidiously - with the normal liquid and solid deposits. Her coat is soft, wavy and full - as a Devon Rex should be. No crying or whining, just a few "kitty stories" and lots of purring when she's cuddled.

I wouldn't leave a sick cat with anyone. While they are "cat people" it wouldn't be fair to her, nor fair to my son & daughter-in-law. Besides, hubby & I would worry too much. Hubby has been working 12 & 13 hour days for the last year and traveled about 2 weeks out of 4 for the 9 months before that. He deserves a couple weeks vacation before his frequent traveler miles expire early next year. We'll see how she does over the next few months and discuss it with her vet.

I'm optimistic that we will get Hannah on an appropriate diet and get the blood pressure under control. Friday I'm trying a new vet who does do blood pressures in the office. It is at least a third opinion on where to go from here. I figure if I like her, I can come back. If not, I'll stay with my current vet & figure out what to do about getting her blood pressures done - 11 blood pressures pays for the equipment!

Tags
adopted , aggressive , amazing , animal , art , box , breeds , care , cat , cat food , cats , changed , crazy , crying , devon rex , diet , dry , dry food , eating , favorites , female , food , found , fur , gift , girl , health , heart murmur , hey , home , ibd , jazz , kitty , loss , lost , love , loving , moving , nausea , new kitten , nice , nose , not eating , nutrition , opinion , passive , pills , play , poor appetite , problems , sale , search , senior , sick , small , steroids , stop , stories , story , stress , suggestions , surgery , urine , vacation , vet , vomiting , weight , wet food , won't eat , worry

Sponsored Cat Links