It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-04-2009   #1 (permalink)
Cherylb1003

Unhappy My cat won't eat -what do I do?

I have a 13 yr Devon Rex female. She has been on SO urinary dry food for several years. She used to sit by my bedside waiting for me to get up and fill her bow. Over the past few months she has been less interested until she is now at the point that she is losing weight. There are no visible reasons for her loss of appetite, Physical exam, blood and urine all check out fine. Her vet recommends that I feed her anything that will keep her weight on her.

In the past that has always been the Iams wet canned chicken. I fed her the last few cans that I had and she gained 3 oz in a week! Unfortunately, when I went to the store, I found that Iams discontinued her food (about a year ago). She won't touch it....or any of the other 10 chicken wet foods that I have offered her. I don't have any of the old food to wean her off the old and onto the new. At this point she is nibbling at her dry food, so at least there is some appetite left, but not enough to stop the weight loss.

I'm desparate - What do I do?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-04-2009   #2 (permalink)
Maddmag2

I have an old man I call Handsome Lad. He was 17# when i rescued him & adopted him. In the last few months he has dropped weight drastically. He stopped eating & was down to fur & bones .I thought nature was just taking it's course when I realized he went crazy over his treats but would not eat his food. He had gone anorexic on me! I changed his food, he started chowing down & is putting his weight back on. Animals will go anorexic if they don't like their food anymore. It's worth a try. Good luck.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-04-2009   #3 (permalink)
Maddmag2

try the fancy feast roasted chicken.Mine won't eat the dinners with gravy or the grilled chicken. I have 4 cats & they all love it. It's amazing that I found something that 4 finiky eaters all like.

Unread 06-06-2009   #4 (permalink)
GregC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylb1003 View Post
I have a 13 yr Devon Rex female. She has been on SO urinary dry food for several years. She used to sit by my bedside waiting for me to get up and fill her bow. Over the past few months she has been less interested until she is now at the point that she is losing weight. There are no visible reasons for her loss of appetite, Physical exam, blood and urine all check out fine. Her vet recommends that I feed her anything that will keep her weight on her.

In the past that has always been the Iams wet canned chicken. I fed her the last few cans that I had and she gained 3 oz in a week! Unfortunately, when I went to the store, I found that Iams discontinued her food (about a year ago). She won't touch it....or any of the other 10 chicken wet foods that I have offered her. I don't have any of the old food to wean her off the old and onto the new. At this point she is nibbling at her dry food, so at least there is some appetite left, but not enough to stop the weight loss.

I'm desparate - What do I do?
My girl Maggie was always a finnicky eater, but when she lost weight, it was due to kidney disease

Your girl is in her senior years(depending on the breeds life span) and you need to have a heightened awareness of her health and symptoms

even if you do find something she finally eats, you still need to understand Kidney Disease

Look at my post further down

Watch out for an incorrect diagnosis by your vet

After you read my experience, ask questions

Don't wait

Last edited by GregC; 06-07-2009 at 10:03 AM.

Unread 06-06-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

How about trying another kind of wet food (not chicken)? I try a variety with my cats, no one day is the same as far as the flavor of the wet food (although I found they love anything "fish") Perhaps some tuna? Try various foods, you might find that she actually likes something besides chicken
Unread 06-07-2009   #6 (permalink)
Maddmag2

The Fancy Feast "Gourmet Chicken Feast" might be the answer for you. It"s the only chicken cat food any of mine will eat. I have four very finiky eaters & to find one that they all like is a miracle. If all else fails, Steam some fresh chicken & shred it up nice & small. I don't believe your kitty will be able to resist that.

Unread 06-07-2009   #7 (permalink)
Maddmag2

I already replied but hit the wrong icon so if you get this twice, I apologize.
The Fancy Feast "Gourmet Chicken Feast" is the only one my cats will eat & i have four finiky eaters. To find a cat food that all four are crazy about is a miracle. If all else fails, steam some fresh chicken & shred it nice & small. Your kitty will not be able to resist it.

Unread 06-07-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmag2 View Post
I already replied but hit the wrong icon so if you get this twice, I apologize.
The Fancy Feast "Gourmet Chicken Feast" is the only one my cats will eat & i have four finiky eaters. To find a cat food that all four are crazy about is a miracle. If all else fails, steam some fresh chicken & shred it nice & small. Your kitty will not be able to resist it.
That is what I do, with both chicken and fish. Or I throw it on the BBQ if we are already cooking on it. My kits love fish over chicken, but they eat both.
Unread 06-07-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Hi Cheryl and her furry - daughter, welcome ! What is her name BTW ?
I understand how desparate you are.

Senior kitty is proned to kidney disease. I have to agree with Greg, I think you need to be more cautious. I didn't know Greg was answering your post too, I was about to write somtehing about his last thread at Health & Nuitrition section of this site. Please take time to read so you will also be well informed.

Any pix ? God bless you and your kitty !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 06-08-2009   #10 (permalink)
amer

i agree with nutrition . you must provide supplemental nutrition
if your cat is eating a little on his or her own,
or full nutrition if your cat is completely anorexic. By assist feeding, you will give your vet and your cat the gift of time. Until you do discover the reason, assist feed your cat with diligence.

so this is some information i search for you
Listed below are some of the problems associated with kitty anorexia:

Acid Stomach

Anemia

Anorexia - This is a "Catch 22." You cat won't eat and become anorexic. Once a cat stops eating, they lose the desire to eat again. We have to help them remember to start eating again.

Antibiotics - Some cats get nauseated and lose their appetite while taking antibiotics. It is important to make sure eating continues so that your cat does not become anorexic. There are specific antiobotics for different conditions, so if your at stops eating and you suspect the antibiotic, ask your vet what the antibiotic options are. Nancy and Jazz write "Jazz started not eating within 48 hours of being on the antibiotic Clavamox. I wasn't concerned too much at first, but by the 3rd day I was. I tried everything... Nothing worked. After 5 days, my vet changed him to Baytril 20, and the change was dramatic. Within 2 hrs of the first dose, he was begging to eat."

Tags
adopted , aggressive , amazing , animal , art , box , breeds , care , cat , cat food , cats , changed , crazy , crying , devon rex , diet , dry , dry food , eating , favorites , female , food , found , fur , gift , girl , health , heart murmur , hey , home , ibd , jazz , kitty , loss , lost , love , loving , moving , nausea , new kitten , nice , nose , not eating , nutrition , opinion , passive , pills , play , poor appetite , problems , sale , search , senior , sick , small , steroids , stop , stories , story , stress , suggestions , surgery , urine , vacation , vet , vomiting , weight , wet food , won't eat , worry

Sponsored Cat Links