It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-08-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

alva_crept is on a distinguished road
Post trimming your kitty's nails

my new kitty is not declawed, so we are wanting to start trimming her nails ourselves instead of bringing her to the vet each time it needs to be done.

i bought the clippers and was shown by the vet how to do it. seems easy peasy. however.. my boyfriend is really freaked out about cutting too low. i wasn't until he started freaking out!! hehe. anyway... my plan is to do it as the vet showed me.. however, if she squirms or i mess up and cut it slightly too low - i know this is painful for the cat and she could bleed.

IF this is to happen - what is something that i can do? like i said i don't PLAN on doing it the wrong way (but who does) and i thought i'd ask in advance rather than doing it in error and not have a plan of action in mind.

any tips will help - thank you!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-08-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

I'd rather make mistakes and messes than declawing my babies ! There is NO WAY for me to rob them off their survival right by nature, and that is CRUEL to amputate them !!
Yes, of course, I did make some mistakes, or I should say I messed up by clipping too low and at one point, Earl Blue even bled ! Of course I freaked out and almost fainted ! Princess was suffering too, coz she is our first kitty ... We payed the price, until I found a trick, I do it only when they are fast asleep ... how about that ? Wanna try ? That saves lots of money coz I used to take them to vets for nail trimming too !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Irene Jims; 06-08-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-08-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I just lay my kitty on her back and lock her with my legs. I am also scared of cutting too low, but it hasn't happened yet. I am very careful with not cutting off too much. Your kitty may still scream though, but it doesn't mean it hurts. Anastasia my drama queen screams no matter what I do to her, haha. I think this is almost easy, actually

Yes, declawing is cruel. Do not maim your babies
Unread 06-08-2009   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

alva_crept is on a distinguished road

thank you both for the heads up and tips i also never thought to do it when she's sleeping!

now... if i DO trim to low in error and my kitty bleeds - is there something i should do or it will just heal on it's own?
Unread 06-08-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alva_crept View Post
thank you both for the heads up and tips i also never thought to do it when she's sleeping!

now... if i DO trim to low in error and my kitty bleeds - is there something i should do or it will just heal on it's own?
I applied medicated balm (something like menholatum) or tea tree oil. It will heal very fast !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 06-08-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I think there's also some kind of protection you can by at the vet's if you've cut too low and it starts to bleed, formed like a claw, to put on the claw. Best way I can describe it.
Unread 06-08-2009   #7 (permalink)
GregC

Never consider declawing your cat

I use regular nail clippers and I am careful

Unread 06-08-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Me too. I don't cut too much

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 06-08-2009   #9 (permalink)
Cherylb1003

Default I've made that mistake

I hold my kitty like a baby (back down, silly unfurry belly up), head in the crook of my left elbow and hold a foot in one hand while I clip with the right. I try not to cut the quick, but some of her nails are brown and I can't really see it.

I have cut the quick on occasion, generally not by much. Actually other than not being thrilled about the whole cutting business, I get more reaction when I clean her ears. The blood wells up on the end of the nail and like any cut, stops over time. I don't know what will make it stop any sooner. I generally blot gently with a tissue. That may disturb a forming clot, so while I feel like I'm doing something useful, I doubt that it's helpful. I usually end up with a few blood spots under my right arm because I let go before it completely stopped.

While I am sure that it is painful, my cat doesn't give me the impression that it is excruciating. The blood won't spew out of the nail, but well up instead. In my opinion, we certainly want to avoid cutting the quick, but the stories about cutting the quick are exaggerated.

The sleeping idea sounds great, at least you aren't going after a moving target.

Good luck

Tags
art , babies , baby , belly , bleed , boyfriend , brown , business , cat , clean , clip , clipping , cut , fast , found , great , hey , kitty , mat , mess , mistake , money , moving , nails , opinion , queen , scared , scream , silly , sleeping , stories , tips , vet

Sponsored Cat Links