It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-12-2009   #1 (permalink)
rhodesian46

Default Cat not eating new food!! !Help!!!

Hi,
I am new to this forum. Have 3 cats. Two in which I am trying to get off Purina Dry Food to a better food. I have tried Dick Van Patten dry food. One of them hates it. The other calico doesn't care about what dry food she eats.( Her name is Yoda) Sabrina on on the other hand wouldn't eat for 2 days. I tried putting 1/2 and 1/2 of the old food and the new food. She smells it and walks away. I felt bad today and fed her her Purina, BTW they are 9 and 10 years old and stay indoors only. So I went back to the feed store and bought Wellness today. Went to go feed Sabrina tonight and she walked away. I tried to moisten the food,add some Purina and still not eating.

How to I get her to eat this new food? Any suggestions? The reason why I switched them because I want a better food therefore better health. I don't free feed them but feed 3 x a day. Help!!!!

The feed store will take back this food with no problem. WHen do I raise my hand and say I give up!!!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-15-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Hi and welcome to you and your 3 kitties If you have had them for so many years and been feeding them Purina then they (or at least Sabrina) are likely to be resistant to change. Maybe you could try alternating it for a while then at least she will be eating something - but if they have survived on Purina thus far it's obviously not doing them any harm and you wouldn't want to starve her!

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-15-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

Have you tried mixing the two together? Sometimes that helps, try the old stuff mostly and gradually add more and more of the new stuff untill it's all the new!
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Unread 06-15-2009   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Stressed
Ceri Cat is on a distinguished road

Hmm the recommendation from the producers of Optimum (annoyingly enough for those of us worried about animal testing also from Mars Inc the makers of purina) for changing the cat to a new food was 1:3, one part optimum to 3 parts (in my case in fact Purina as well) old at first, so a more gradual weaning process over 4 days from 1:3 1:1 3:1 and finally completed, I'd advise mixing through well, and maybe a little bit of bribery to get her to try the new food if she's still being a pain. With an older cat it might take longer as like humans they get set in their ways. Part of the reasoning for a gradual change is to avoid upsetting the stomach with a sudden change, it's why exchange students need to be careful about diet when they go from an Asian culture to a western culture as an example because the diet is substantially different.

On the bribery some people use a little wet food, personally I've never needed to use bribery a lot. A couple of dried anchovies diced and spread through does wonders. BTW what sort of flavour did you usually give them of the Purina? Is it similar to the Dick flavour? It could be that it's not the food but an unusual flavour that is her issue.
Unread 06-16-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Red face

Hi & welcome!

Mine eat no matter which food I give them. I sometimes change it.
A friend of mine's cat ate Whiskas & only Whiskas all her life. My friend tried to give her something else without success

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 06-16-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Hi, welcome aboard !

Some cats are really picky, like my Princess. She has her own preference and taste. My Lady will eat literally ANYTHING ! So, if you really have to switch brands, try to switch gradually. Mix the old with the new, and proportionally reduce the old and increase the new, until your cats get used to the new. But, I would suggest that you would try some other brands and find out which brand is accepted by all your kitties.

Tags
animal , black , care , cat , cats , diet , dry , dry food , eating , food , free , health , hey , kitties , mat , new to this , not eating , problem , suggestions , upset , weaning , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links