It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-15-2009   #1 (permalink)
Forgeteden

Default Deworming nursing cat?

Hi again!

My vet told me to deworm Pumpkin after the kittens were born. They are almost a week old and she's getting skinnier - more than she should be for a nursing cat. I can see all her bones, and she eats 3-4 cans of cat food a day - so its not that shes just not eating enough.

I bought some of the deworming stuff from Walmart (people online say not to, by a couple of my friends have used it and they were dewormed just fine.

The recommended dosage is 1/2 a teaspoon per five pounds, and I gave her less than that just because I was weary. I know that you're not supposed to give these meds to nursing cats because it can come out in their milk and make them sick, but my vet said to deworm the kittens every 2 weeks after their born anyways...

My question is, are my kittens going to be okay with the small dosage of medicine? I'm scared that my momma cat is going to die because of her weight (she was only 9 pounds when she was pregnant, and she's about 5 - if even - right now. All her ribs are showing and her hip bones, too)

Tell me if I made the right decision?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-15-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Hi Isaac :
With the worms in her stomach eating all her nutrients, it's imaginable that she's now getting very skinny, especially she is a very young meowmy who has to nurse five kittens !
So your vet is right. She needs to get the worming med. But I'd rather get her checked by the vet and get the med. from him/her. coz only the vet knows about the effective dosage. They usually refer to the weight of the cat before giving the prescribed dosage. So, if the dosage is not enough, your effort will be in vain.
Obviously, you have no choice but to deworm her, otherwise, she will not get enough nutrients, no matter how much food you feed her. As long as it's worming med from the vet that you're giving her, I don't think the kittens will be affected.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-15-2009   #3 (permalink)
Forgeteden

Thanks Irene,

Well it appears that the dosage has worked so far - at least it appears that she has gained a bit more weight. The deworming medication was a desperate act because I feared she was going to die. When I get the money (and if this medicine doesn't work) I'll take her and the kittens to the vet.

I also want the kittens to be old enough to walk so that she doesn't get scared if I take them somewhere.

Unread 06-16-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgeteden View Post
Thanks Irene,

Well it appears that the dosage has worked so far - at least it appears that she has gained a bit more weight. The deworming medication was a desperate act because I feared she was going to die. When I get the money (and if this medicine doesn't work) I'll take her and the kittens to the vet.

I also want the kittens to be old enough to walk so that she doesn't get scared if I take them somewhere.
Keep up the good work, Isaac ! Obviously what you are doing is all for the well being of Pumpkin and her kittens. God bless !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 06-16-2009   #5 (permalink)
Forgeteden

Thanks for your kind words! I'll keep you updated on her condition!

Unread 06-16-2009   #6 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Stressed
Ceri Cat is on a distinguished road

Remember to watch the kits carefully as well they can get worms from their mother's milk. Which will turn into a vicious cycle for you.
Unread 06-16-2009   #7 (permalink)
Forgeteden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri Cat View Post
Remember to watch the kits carefully as well they can get worms from their mother's milk. Which will turn into a vicious cycle for you.
Yes. They seem very healthy to me right now - so I don't think they got any worms from momma. They're all fat and round!

Unread 06-16-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgeteden View Post
Yes. They seem very healthy to me right now - so I don't think they got any worms from momma. They're all fat and round!
There's always posisbility to get it from momma. When the kittens grow a bit older, I sugest that you also deworm them. This is also what my vet used to remind those whose kittens were delivered by momma with worms.
I deworm my kitties twice a year.

Unread 06-16-2009   #9 (permalink)
Forgeteden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Jims View Post
There's always posisbility to get it from momma. When the kittens grow a bit older, I sugest that you also deworm them. This is also what my vet used to remind those whose kittens were delivered by momma with worms.
I deworm my kitties twice a year.
I thought you were supposed to deworm them once a month after they're 6 weeks of age? Is this a bad thing to do?

Thanks, Irene!

Unread 06-16-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

The first cycle of deworming took twice. Then after I'm sure (seen by the vet) my kitties are all worm free, I would just need to repeat the cycle twice a year. Or if you're not too busy, you can also do it quarterly.

Tags
advice , age , babies , birth , cat , cat food , cats , cool , eating , food , free , friends , happy , healthy , hey , kittens , kitties , kitty , mat , money , nervous , not eating , outdoor , paw , photos , pregnant , question , scared , sick , small , vet , weaned , weight

Sponsored Cat Links